eMail Server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Hobbit, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    Hi All,

    I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are used -
    eg lid and lid are email addresses we're
    using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
    lid at which point, the client making that connection
    is delivered all emails.

    What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
    played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
    reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
    MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
    handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
    times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

    Any suggestions? I've got a seperate box set aside to be the email server
    which will sit behind my firewall - happy with a linux distro, but as a
    newbie I'd prefer a distro like e-smith or similar which just presents me
    with a nice friendly interface to get me started.
    The Hobbit, Feb 23, 2004

  2. The Hobbit

    Chris Guest

    "The Hobbit" <> wrote in

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are
    > used - eg lid and lid are email
    > addresses we're using - however, the way the email is currently setup
    > we have to log in as lid at which point, the
    > client making that connection is delivered all emails.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of
    > these emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.
    > Years ago I played with e-smith which I believe could do something
    > like this, but from reading the more recent documentation it looks as
    > if you need to point the MX records to an IP address of your server.
    > I'm not really wanting to try handling all my own email and can't
    > guarentee I'll have the same IP at all times so that doesn't appear to
    > be an option.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've got a seperate box set aside to be the email
    > server which will sit behind my firewall - happy with a linux distro,
    > but as a newbie I'd prefer a distro like e-smith or similar which just
    > presents me with a nice friendly interface to get me started.

    What about http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/m32401.htm running under windows.
    It's free and I see theres a new version just realised. I've only played
    with it (some time ago) but use Pegasus (Pmail) as my email client.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 23, 2004

  3. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > "The Hobbit" <> wrote in

    <Snip>
    > > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of
    > > these emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

    <Snip>
    > What about http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/m32401.htm running under windows.
    > It's free and I see theres a new version just realised. I've only played
    > with it (some time ago) but use Pegasus (Pmail) as my email client.

    Awesome! - This looks like it might do the trick - have downloaded it and
    will give it a crack tonight. I'm still keen to try any other options for
    that sake of comparision.
    The Hobbit, Feb 23, 2004
  4. The Hobbit

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:59:47 +1300, The Hobbit wrote:

    > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    > emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
    > played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
    > reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
    > MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
    > handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
    > times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

    Get yourself a static IP address, and a Linux server/router/firewall. Use
    that - it will perfectly match your requirements.

    Lennier

    --
    "When dealing with the Religious Right one should remember that 'truth'
    is not a part of the rules of their game."
    Lennier, Feb 24, 2004
  5. The Hobbit

    steve Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:

    > I'm not really wanting to try
    > handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
    > times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

    dyn-dns can let you get around that if you want to.
    steve, Feb 24, 2004
  6. The Hobbit

    Ray Greene Guest

    Lan Suite from http://www.software602.com is excellent if you don't mind
    using Windows. The free version is limited to 5 users though.

    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Feb 24, 2004
  7. The Hobbit

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:

    >Lan Suite from http://www.software602.com is excellent if you don't mind
    >using Windows. The free version is limited to 5 users though.
    >
    >Ray Greene.

    And unlimited alias for each of the five users, also leave the catchall
    on the ISP just pop it with Lansuite excellent results.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 24, 2004
  8. The Hobbit

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are used -
    >eg lid and lid are email addresses we're
    >using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
    > at which point, the client making that connection
    >is delivered all emails.
    >
    >What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    >emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
    >played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
    >reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
    >MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
    >handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
    >times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

    I use fetchmail to get POP mail from my ISP and put it into exim (a
    sendmail clone). Pretty simple to set up. Then each family member can
    POP into the server and download their mail.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2004
  9. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    "The Hobbit" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are

    used -
    > eg lid and lid are email addresses

    we're
    > using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
    > lid at which point, the client making that

    connection
    > is delivered all emails.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    > emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

    <Snip>

    Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
    product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
    end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
    ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning. Still a bit of work to
    be done to take full advantage of the bits of the product that I'm needing -
    but at least I've got a working solution and the WAF (Wife Approval Factor)
    is high as she's no longer getting mail (like 'interesting' spam) delivered
    to her :)

    Cheers again...
    The Hobbit, Feb 25, 2004
  10. The Hobbit

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <qF6%b.2083$>,
    lid says...

    > "The Hobbit" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are

    > used -
    > > eg lid and lid are email addresses

    > we're
    > > using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
    > > lid at which point, the client making that

    > connection
    > > is delivered all emails.
    > >
    > > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    > > emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

    > <Snip>
    >
    > Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    > http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
    > product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
    > end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
    > ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

    You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
    heard of AVG?
    Mainlander, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Mainlander wrote:
    >>Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    >>http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
    >>product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
    >>end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
    >>ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

    > You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
    > heard of AVG?

    ummm me, I use it... so do many here(nz.comp)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2004
  12. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's
    >> ever heard of AVG?

    > ummm me, I use it... so do many here(nz.comp)

    Whats so bad about it?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2004
  13. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.nz> wrote in message
    > In article <qF6%b.2083$>,
    > lid says...
    > > <Snip>
    > >
    > > Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    > > http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The

    Mercury
    > > product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at

    the
    > > end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with

    it's
    > > ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

    > You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
    > heard of AVG?

    Like Dave says - lots of people use it.
    It doesn't grab everything but what does? It certainly provides an element
    of protection and has detected a few viruses in stuff sent to me in the
    past. I like the price and that it allows me to ensure that emails coming
    inward are at least getting some kind of scan before they hit my internal
    network.

    Anyway - it's home based so it's good enough for me.
    The Hobbit, Feb 27, 2004
  14. The Hobbit wrote:

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <qF6%b.2083$>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>><Snip>
    >>>
    >>>Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    >>>http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The

    > Mercury
    >
    >>>product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at

    > the
    >
    >>>end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with

    > it's
    >
    >>>ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

    >>You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
    >>heard of AVG?
    >>

    > Like Dave says - lots of people use it.
    > It doesn't grab everything but what does?

    And on that note, I have a file at home that is a known virus, AVG,
    McAfee, F-prot cmd line all see it, but Nortons doesn't.

    It's from about 5 years ago, I'll have to see if I can find it, and put
    it up for download somewhere. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2004
  15. The Hobbit

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, *@*.nz
    says...
    > In article <qF6%b.2083$>,
    > lid says...
    > >
    > > "The Hobbit" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are

    > > used -
    > > > eg lid and lid are email addresses

    > > we're
    > > > using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
    > > > lid at which point, the client making that

    > > connection
    > > > is delivered all emails.
    > > >
    > > > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
    > > > emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

    > > <Snip>
    > >
    > > Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
    > > http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
    > > product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
    > > end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
    > > ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

    > You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
    > heard of AVG?

    Obviously not you - not in a while anyway. Better check out what it
    does these days - it seems widely regarded as being right up there with
    McAfee and Nortons - and in many aspects is better for use in some
    products, eg SBS (McAfee's unuesable, Nortons has known problems, AVG
    works a charm).

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Feb 27, 2004
  16. The Hobbit

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:10:44 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's
    >>> ever heard of AVG?

    >> ummm me, I use it... so do many here(nz.comp)

    >Whats so bad about it?

    Um, how about it doesn't find all viruses, and after a year of using
    it it mysteriously doesn't accept the monthly upgrades, and the
    techies recommendation is to upgrade to the paid version!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 27, 2004
  17. The Hobbit

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:04:10 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >And on that note, I have a file at home that is a known virus, AVG,
    >McAfee, F-prot cmd line all see it, but Nortons doesn't.
    >
    >It's from about 5 years ago, I'll have to see if I can find it, and put
    >it up for download somewhere. :)

    Eicar?

    Cheers, Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 27, 2004
  18. Enkidu wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:10:44 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:

    >>>ummm me, I use it... so do many here(nz.comp)

    >>Whats so bad about it?
    >>

    > Um, how about it doesn't find all viruses, and after a year of using
    > it it mysteriously doesn't accept the monthly upgrades, and the
    > techies recommendation is to upgrade to the paid version!

    You mean they miss one or two like pretty much all other AV programs...
    and a year after you get it, they expect you to get a new
    subscription... just like the paid for AV programs... those evil thieves! ;)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2004
  19. The Hobbit

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:16:19 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >> Um, how about it doesn't find all viruses, and after a year of using
    >> it it mysteriously doesn't accept the monthly upgrades, and the
    >> techies recommendation is to upgrade to the paid version!

    >You mean they miss one or two like pretty much all other AV programs...
    >and a year after you get it, they expect you to get a new
    >subscription... just like the paid for AV programs... those evil thieves! ;)

    Oh I totally agree with your point. If it's worth it, pay for it. But
    I was annoyed that nowhere on their site did they say that after a
    year you wouldn't be able to get any automatic upgrade to the "free"
    version.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 28, 2004
  20. The Hobbit

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:10:44 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:

    > >> ummm me, I use it... so do many here(nz.comp)

    > >Whats so bad about it?
    > >

    > Um, how about it doesn't find all viruses, and after a year of using
    > it it mysteriously doesn't accept the monthly upgrades, and the
    > techies recommendation is to upgrade to the paid version!

    Got one here, the latest upgrade is 1/9/03, won't upgrade to the latest
    version
    Mainlander, Feb 28, 2004