    Beth Guest

    is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified address
    comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth

    Beth, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Beth

    old jon Guest

    "Beth" <nobody@this address.com> wrote in message
    news:digqn1$cqp$...
    > is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified
    > address comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth

    support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q154/3/31.asp
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Beth

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beth wrote:
    > is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified
    > address comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated

    Your mail reader is OE. It is 'all or none' about playing a sound when
    mail arrives; that is, the configuration is to play [or not] a sound
    when 'anything' arrives in the inbox, not just from a specified address
    or friend.

    And, OE's message rules which can do different things with mail from a
    specific address flag it or color it or move it to another or special
    folder, but that feature doesn't enable playing a sound based on the
    From.

    That feature of handling mail from a specified friend differently could
    also be used to help you 'not miss it' because it can keep it from being
    mixed up with your spam, but it doesn't play a sound when it arrives.

    However, what you might do is to have a separate account with your
    provider specifically for the purpose of receiving mail from that
    specified address. That is, suppose your normal email is
    . You would create a and give
    that address to your specified friend.

    Then, you would create a Beth2 identity in OE. That account would be
    configured to /only/ receive mail from your friend and all other mail
    would be deleted, from the server if you like, by OE message rules.
    That identity's configuration would be to play a sound when any mail
    arrived in the inbox, because that identity would /only/ receive mail
    from your friend.

    At least I /think/ the configuration about playing a sound [which is in
    OE/ Tools/ Options/ General] is separate or distinct from a different
    identity's configuration -- I've never tried that, and I wasn't up for
    doing the experiment just to see if it would work.

    The disadvantage to using a separate identity is that you have to manage
    the identity situation by switching from one identity to another to get
    that identity's mail.

    Another technique would be for you and your friend to use instant
    messaging to say 'you've got mail' - the ICQ system lets your contact
    buddy know that you are online. That system can also be used to chat if
    you want to go that far.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Beth

    gordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Beth wrote:
    >> is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified
    >> address comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated

    > Your mail reader is OE.

    Not neccesarily so. the OP's /NEWSREADER/ is OE. The OP /MAY/ actually
    be using Outlook for email. Outlook uses OE as its newsreader and so the
    message headers may well SAY Outlook Express, but you can't assume that
    that is the mail client until the OP confirms it!

    gordon, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Beth

    gordon Guest

    Beth wrote:
    > is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified address
    > comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth

    And what mail client are you using, perchance? (Fairly ESSENTIAL
    information, you know).

    gordon, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Beth

    Mike Easter Guest

    gordon wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Your mail reader is OE.

    > Not neccesarily so. the OP's /NEWSREADER/ is OE. The OP /MAY/ actually
    > be using Outlook for email. Outlook uses OE as its newsreader and so
    > the message headers may well SAY Outlook Express, but you can't
    > assume that that is the mail client until the OP confirms it!

    Correct. I shoulda stuck a 'probably' in there.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Beth

    gordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > gordon wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Your mail reader is OE.

    >> Not neccesarily so. the OP's /NEWSREADER/ is OE. The OP /MAY/ actually
    >> be using Outlook for email. Outlook uses OE as its newsreader and so
    >> the message headers may well SAY Outlook Express, but you can't
    >> assume that that is the mail client until the OP confirms it!

    > Correct. I shoulda stuck a 'probably' in there.

    :)

    gordon, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Beth

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:09:53 GMT, old jon wrote:

    >"Beth" <nobody@this address.com> wrote in message
    >> is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified
    >> address comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth
    >>

    >support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q154/3/31.asp
    >best wishes..OJ

    So this is where it was aimed :)

    Me

    why?, Oct 11, 2005
  9. Beth

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:53:50 +0100, "Beth" <nobody@this address.com>
    wrote:

    >is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified address
    >comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth

    Guessing it MS OE, you forgot to mention your email client.

    See the help for mail rules, you can setup a rule for a specified
    'From:' address (or other options) to color / flag a message (or do
    something else).

    Example
    http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/topics/email/general/853/

    Me

    why?, Oct 11, 2005
  10. Beth

    John Holmes Guest

    why? blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Why are you guessing? It's in the headers, you fucking useless ****.

    --
    Your mother was a reprehensible cafeteria lady who earned a bad reputation
    in the boiler of a disused steam locomotive.

    John Holmes, Oct 11, 2005
  11. Beth

    Mitch Guest

    In article <digqn1$cqp$>, Beth <nobody@this> wrote:

    > is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified address
    > comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth

    Sure;you do this by setting up a FILTER in your mail program.

    You can also set one up (in most programs) to highlight mail from
    address book entries, or trash all mail that has certain words.

    Just look in... oops, you're using OE.
    Well, look for 'RULES'.
    Then keep reading in the group to decide if you should be using OE.

    Mitch, Oct 11, 2005
  12. Beth

    Dan Evans Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message

    > Why are you guessing? It's in the headers, you fucking useless ****.

    No it's not, the posters current *news* client is in the headers, but's that
    not to say it's her *email* client - lets face it, news it not email and
    vice versa - go on, what do I use for email? Post a live email address and
    I'll shock the pants off you when you read the headers on the mail I send
    you.

    She could be posting from her home system but talking about her Linux box at
    work - you can't assume anything, you cheese eating, clog wearing, tulip
    felching, stupid, son of a bitch, dumbass, mother fucker.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 12, 2005
  13. Beth

    John Holmes Guest

    Dan Evans blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Why are you guessing? It's in the headers, you fucking useless ****.

    > No it's not, the posters current *news* client is in the headers,
    > but's that not to say it's her *email* client - lets face it, news it
    > not email and vice versa - go on, what do I use for email? Post a live
    > email address and I'll shock the pants off you when you read the
    > headers on the mail I send you.
    >
    > She could be posting from her home system but talking about her Linux
    > box at work - you can't assume anything, you cheese eating, clog
    > wearing, tulip felching, stupid, son of a bitch, dumbass, mother
    > fucker.
    >
    > Dan

    My email addy is valid, you daft twat.

    --
    Your mother was a politically incorrect circus performer who talked
    incessantly about teapots at the local flea market.

    John Holmes, Oct 12, 2005
  14. Beth

    Beth Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <digqn1$cqp$>, Beth <nobody@this> wrote:
    >
    >> is there any way I can be given a warning when mail from a specified
    >> address
    >> comes in so I don't miss it? help much appreciated TIA beth
    >>

    > Sure;you do this by setting up a FILTER in your mail program.
    >
    > You can also set one up (in most programs) to highlight mail from
    > address book entries, or trash all mail that has certain words.
    >
    > Just look in... oops, you're using OE.
    > Well, look for 'RULES'.
    > Then keep reading in the group to decide if you should be using OE.

    Thank you ALL, for help given, I have followed instructions given to
    highlight mail , sorry I should have told you I am using OE in the first
    place! thank you all for taking the time to help me, I don't know what I
    would do without all your expert help when I get myself stuck. I love this
    group, it has helped me in so many ways,

    Beth

    Beth, Oct 12, 2005