email query

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hywel Jenkins, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. In article <bv9789$u48$>,
    says...
    > Lo All
    >
    > IA mate of mine emailed to say that there are emails circulating with
    > viruses attached - so i have been keeping a closer eye on my in-box.
    >
    > I have just received an email from an unknown person BUT the senders email
    > address after the @ sign is MY email address.
    >
    > e.g theirs would be
    >
    > where as mine would be
    >
    > So, if i "owned" @24hourssupport.co.uk how can someone else use it?

    Easy. Just put that address in as your address in your email client or
    spam software.

    > And i suppose the next question should be - is there a way to stop anyone
    > using MY address?

    Nope.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Hywel Jenkins

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    IA mate of mine emailed to say that there are emails circulating with
    viruses attached - so i have been keeping a closer eye on my in-box.

    I have just received an email from an unknown person BUT the senders email
    address after the @ sign is MY email address.

    e.g theirs would be

    where as mine would be

    So, if i "owned" @24hourssupport.co.uk how can someone else use it?

    And i suppose the next question should be - is there a way to stop anyone
    using MY address?

    Cheers

    Daft question ...... can ANYONE just use ANYONE's email address?

    anOLDun, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Hywel Jenkins

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Hywel

    Many thanks for the reply

    I have "munged" my address - well i think i have.

    Cheers
    PS
    I am with you on quiche - yuk:)

    anOLDun, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Hywel Jenkins

    °Mike° Guest

    That's what the email spoofing viruses and worms do.
    Go to the home page of your favourite antivirus, and
    read up on it.

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:54:16 -0000, in
    <bv9789$u48$>
    anOLDun scrawled:

    >Lo All
    >
    >IA mate of mine emailed to say that there are emails circulating with
    >viruses attached - so i have been keeping a closer eye on my in-box.
    >
    >I have just received an email from an unknown person BUT the senders email
    >address after the @ sign is MY email address.
    >
    >e.g theirs would be
    >
    >where as mine would be
    >
    >So, if i "owned" @24hourssupport.co.uk how can someone else use it?
    >
    >And i suppose the next question should be - is there a way to stop anyone
    >using MY address?
    >
    >Cheers

    >Daft question ...... can ANYONE just use ANYONE's email address?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004