    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Mark C Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
    news::

    > Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why?
    > (which bits do you like the best)

    Xnews for newsreader.
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    I couldn't stand OE for decoding multipart binaries, and Xnews
    handles them with ease.

    It handles text posts very very well, but I couldn't really tell you
    what is better than OE.

    Good keyboard to command mapping (user definable).
    Space bar selects threads for download.
    Good kill-filter and reg-exp filtering ('scoring').
    Handles multiple newsservers.
    Handy stuff like 'reconstruct thread'.
    Macros.
    Can use external editor for composing replies.

    Mark
    Mark C, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Try mozilla thunderbird. It is free and has a clean interface.

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    aldrin fabricius, Nov 8, 2006
  4. aldrin fabricius wrote:
    > Try mozilla thunderbird. It is free and has a clean interface.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    >

    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    >> you like the best)
    >>
    >> Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    >> alternatives
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- Cheers
    >> Southern Kiwi
    >> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    >> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
    >> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)

    Thanks, I am :)
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Southern Kiwi

    k Guest

    k, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Zipper Guest

    aldrin fabricius wrote:
    > Try mozilla thunderbird. It is free and has a clean interface.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    Only thing I hate about Thunderbird is when you start it, it seems to
    randomly choose some thread and expand that thread out and display some
    message from it. This bug(undocumented feature) seems to have existed
    for ages and is quite annoying.

    Anyeone else see that? I am sure I saw someone else writing about it a
    long time ago but yet still seems to exist in the latest version.
    Zipper, Nov 8, 2006
  7. In article <>, southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    says...
    > Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    > you like the best)
    >
    > Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    > alternatives

    Latest version of Pegasus Mail is very very nice. Even comes with it's built-in
    self training spam filter (but you can also write your own filters, down to
    sorting the read mail into different mail folders).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Southern Kiwi

    Flintstone Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    > says...
    >> Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    >> you like the best)
    >>
    >> Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    >> alternatives
    >>

    > Latest version of Pegasus Mail is very very nice. Even comes with it's built-in
    > self training spam filter (but you can also write your own filters, down to
    > sorting the read mail into different mail folders).
    >
    > -P.

    But it doesn't do newsgroups
    Flintstone, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Flintstone wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com says...
    >>> Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which
    >>> bits do you like the best)
    >>>
    >>> Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    >>> alternatives
    >>>

    >> Latest version of Pegasus Mail is very very nice. Even comes with it's
    >> built-in
    >> self training spam filter (but you can also write your own filters,
    >> down to sorting the read mail into different mail folders).
    >>
    >> -P.
    >>

    > But it doesn't do newsgroups

    I'm trialling Thunderbird for a while, feels good after some tweaks.

    Things I like:

    Newsreader customisation, (ability to track/filter threads easily)
    Hotmail support (using add-ons)
    Built in spell checker
    Trainable spam filter
    Default bottom post

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Southern Kiwi

    Flintstone Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > I'm trialling Thunderbird for a while, feels good after some tweaks.
    >
    > Things I like:
    >
    > Newsreader customisation, (ability to track/filter threads easily)
    > Hotmail support (using add-ons)
    > Built in spell checker
    > Trainable spam filter
    > Default bottom post
    >
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    Where did you find the Hotmail add on?
    Flintstone, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Southern Kiwi

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Nov 9, 2006
  12. Rob wrote:

    > Flintstone wrote:
    >> Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trialling Thunderbird for a while, feels good after some tweaks.
    >>>
    >>> Things I like:
    >>>
    >>> Newsreader customisation, (ability to track/filter threads easily)
    >>> Hotmail support (using add-ons)
    >>> Built in spell checker
    >>> Trainable spam filter
    >>> Default bottom post
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Southern Kiwi

    >> Where did you find the Hotmail add on?

    > Tools>Extensions>Get more extensions then search for hotmail
    > - --
    > Rob
    >-

    what he said, or go here....
    > http://webmail.mozdev.org/

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 9, 2006
  13. Southern Kiwi <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    > you like the best)
    >
    > Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    > alternatives

    Thunderbird <http://www.getthunderbird.com>> is quite good as an email
    and Usenet client on Windows, Mac or *nix and I don't mind using it.
    Personally I prefer MacSOUP or Hogwasher, but they're Mac only.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2006
  14. In article <eitg4l$tb7$>, ay says...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <>, southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    > > says...
    > >> Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    > >> you like the best)
    > >>
    > >> Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    > >> alternatives
    > >>

    > > Latest version of Pegasus Mail is very very nice. Even comes with it's built-in
    > > self training spam filter (but you can also write your own filters, down to
    > > sorting the read mail into different mail folders).
    > >
    > > -P.
    > >

    > But it doesn't do newsgroups

    Nope, I didn't take his question to mean a program that does both necessarily.
    I prefer to keep my email proggy separate from the NGs.

    I am using SuperGravity 2.6 for newsgroups - but not sure if it can still be
    found. Version 2.7 as found on sourceforge has had a whole bunch of things
    excised a.f.a.i.c.t. so I hesitate to recommend it. I chose to stick with the
    older version which is equal to the old commercial one, improved by one of the
    original devs.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 9, 2006
  15. Southern Kiwi

    k Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > aldrin fabricius wrote:
    >> Try mozilla thunderbird. It is free and has a clean interface.
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    > Only thing I hate about Thunderbird is when you start it, it seems to
    > randomly choose some thread and expand that thread out and display some
    > message from it. This bug(undocumented feature) seems to have existed
    > for ages and is quite annoying.
    >
    > Anyeone else see that? I am sure I saw someone else writing about it a
    > long time ago but yet still seems to exist in the latest version.

    yeah I get it but never think much of it since it is so easy to just
    collapse that thread and scroll down :p
    k, Nov 9, 2006
  16. Southern Kiwi

    steve Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    > you like the best)
    >
    > Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    > alternatives

    Knode is a good alternative to OE.

    It runs on Linux....which is in many respects a good alternative to
    Windows.

    Kill two birds with one stone. :)
    steve, Nov 9, 2006
  17. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Peter Huebner exclaimed:
    > I am using SuperGravity 2.6 for newsgroups - but not sure if it can still be
    > found. Version 2.7 as found on sourceforge has had a whole bunch of things
    > excised a.f.a.i.c.t.

    Hi Peter,

    How do you figure this? I had a look at the notes, it doesn't seem to
    mention anything obvious.

    Man, I was so gutted when they dropped it and open sourced it a few
    months after I bought it...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 9, 2006
  18. In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > How do you figure this? I had a look at the notes, it doesn't seem to
    > mention anything obvious.
    >
    > Man, I was so gutted when they dropped it and open sourced it a few
    > months after I bought it...

    I figured it either from the description on the website or from a readme
    included in the download, can't remember since it's been a number of months.
    I actually downloaded 2.7, but then decided to not install it.

    Basically it went something like "gallery no longer supported because of
    licensing issues" "spellchecker taken out because of licensing issues", blah
    blah blah ... Not that the gallery or the spellchecker worry me one way or
    t'other, but one or two of the other things DID. IIrc the programmable rules
    were replaced with scoring only (and the whole underlying engine changed), but
    I won't swear to that. Think there was something about the panes layout options
    also. Anyways, I decided to stay with what's installed; ultimately I really
    didn't see any advantage in changing since 2.6 works just fine for me, so I
    can't make any fact based comments on 2.7 being better or worse. But I also
    don't feel comfortable recommending 2.7, if you get my drift.

    In any event, Gravity 2.6 suits me much better than any version of Agent I've
    tried.

    *** I got curious and looked it up - here's the link:
    http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/#important

    I now recall that the thing that worried me most was the backup code being
    gone, I have _needed_ to use that a couple of times over the years. The
    customisable toolbar is nice and frankly I can't be bothered to re-learn
    Perl (not that I ever got beyond starting on it, back 15 years ago or more).

    Apparently 2.6 is still available. Google throws up http://gravity.tbates.org/
    where versions 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6 are listed as being in the download section.
    IIrc there were some _real_ improvements from 2.5 to 2.6.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 9, 2006
  19. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <eitg4l$tb7$>, ay says...
    > > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > > In article <>, southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    > > > says...

    > > > Latest version of Pegasus Mail is very very nice. Even comes with it's built-in
    > > > self training spam filter (but you can also write your own filters, down to
    > > > sorting the read mail into different mail folders).
    > > >
    > > > -P.
    > > >

    > > But it doesn't do newsgroups
    > >

    > Nope, I didn't take his question to mean a program that does both necessarily.
    > I prefer to keep my email proggy separate from the NGs.
    >
    > I am using SuperGravity 2.6 for newsgroups - but not sure if it can still be
    > found. Version 2.7 as found on sourceforge has had a whole bunch of things
    > excised a.f.a.i.c.t. so I hesitate to recommend it. I chose to stick with the
    > older version which is equal to the old commercial one, improved by one of the
    > original devs.

    I'll back up that recommendation too. Been using it fer bloody years
    now, still to find a better newsreader, IMO.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Nov 9, 2006
  20. In message <4552fe6c$>, steve wrote:

    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> Currently using OE, 'tis ok, but what is better...and why? (which bits do
    >> you like the best)
    >>
    >> Rabid MS bashing for the sake of it ignored, I'm more interested in
    >> alternatives

    > Knode is a good alternative to OE.

    And it does graphics for the smileys. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2006