Email / Multiple XP User accounts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tanel Kagan, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Hello.

    I'm running Windows XP professional with two accounts.

    I can access Hotmail through Outlook Express with one of the accounts, but
    when I try to do so with the other, it keeps asking for (Hotmail) username
    and password.

    I have copied across all account settings for Hotmail, even tried exporting
    an internet account settings file (*.iaf) from one user account to the
    other. Still no luck.

    I want to access through my everyday "USER" account instead of the
    "ADMINISTRATOR" account which I want to keep as streamlined as possible for
    emergencies. Unfortunately at some point OE was set up on the administrator
    account.

    Any ideas?

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Tanel Kagan

    Gordon Guest

    Tanel Kagan wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP professional with two accounts.
    >
    > I can access Hotmail through Outlook Express with one of the accounts, but
    > when I try to do so with the other, it keeps asking for (Hotmail) username
    > and password.
    >
    > I have copied across all account settings for Hotmail, even tried exporting
    > an internet account settings file (*.iaf) from one user account to the
    > other. Still no luck.
    >
    > I want to access through my everyday "USER" account instead of the
    > "ADMINISTRATOR" account which I want to keep as streamlined as possible for
    > emergencies. Unfortunately at some point OE was set up on the administrator
    > account.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Tanel.

    Well in 2005 you'll have to do a complete rethink anyway, because unless
    you have a paid-for premium hotmail account, you won't be able to access
    Hotmail with anything other than IE.

    Gordon, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Tanel Kagan

    Mark Peacey Guest

    Check to make sure that the caps lock button isn't on

    Mark Peacey, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Tanel Kagan

    Gordon Guest

    Mark Peacey wrote:
    > Check to make sure that the caps lock button isn't on

    Eh?

    Gordon, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    It's ok, I've sorted it.

    Checked the User Authentication settings within Internet Options and it
    turned out that I had "Anonymous Logon" selected instead of "Prompt for
    Username and Password".

    Seems that even though I was typing in the username and password, when
    connecting to the server it was trying to do so anonymously and Hotmail
    wasn't having any of it, so it kept prompting for u/n and pswd again.

    This setting was ok within the "Administrator" account so I didn't have that
    problem.

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, Dec 28, 2004