    hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

    TIA,
    Hawkeye65

    The Addison's, May 30, 2006

  2. The Addison's

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Addison's wrote:
    > Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there
    > a hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

    How to read email headers is described on many spam tutorial sites.

    It is 'trickier' to determine the IP source depending upon whether or
    not the item contains any forged Received tracelines or not, and
    depending upon how RFC compliant the mail transfer agents are which
    handled the item en route.

    Some simple items have only a single Received traceline in which the
    'from' field contains the IP of the source -- while others have a
    complicated string or 'chain' of Received tracelines which need to be
    chained from the top toward the bottom or until the first sign of
    bogosity. The chaining is done from the upper from field IP to the
    lower by field domainname.

    If you want to learn, I advise this very old tutorial
    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html All About Email Headers

    If you want to learn and are going to be doing it 'regularly', I
    recommend registering for spamcop's free parsing/reporting service so
    you can compare your results with spamcop's algorithmic parser
    http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

    You don't have to report your spam to use the SC parser, you can cancel
    any report.

    If you only have a one-off question, you could post the complete headers
    somewhere like the ng alt.spam and get advice there. I don't know how
    welcome those headers would be in this group.

    If you are going to munge personal information, don't munge excessively,
    and be 'sensible' about leaving 'evidence' of what you have munged or
    obfuscated.

    If you want a lot more links about headers, I recommend spamlinks
    http://spamlinks.net/index.html

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 30, 2006

  3. The Addison's

    Ingeborg Guest

    The Addison's wrote:

    > Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there a
    > hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

    In your header I can see you are using Outlook Express as newsreader. When
    you also use it as mailclient, you can select the mail, and goto file->
    properties->details to see the header. There is a buch of IP adresses in
    the header, the last mentioned is the sender.

    Ingeborg, May 30, 2006
  4. The Addison's

    Plato Guest

    The Addison's wrote:

    > Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there a
    > hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

    Not worth the bother or time.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 1, 2006