    Does anyone know how to do this ?

    Best regards,
    Elainie
    Elainie, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Elainie

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-22, Elainie <> wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > It has always bugged me not being able to set my gmail or Mac mail to
    > provide me with a status/delivery report of the kind that informs me
    > whether the recipient has opened (and by consequence, presumably read)
    > the email.
    >
    > I am sure that it must be possible, as I know that it is possible in
    > non-gmail and Mac mail programs; I just can't seem to make it work
    > here.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this ?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Elainie

    Wise and sensible recipients of emails do not set their software to
    automatically respond in any way, in view of the privacy and security
    implications. So there is little point in trying to set up a request for
    such responses.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Elainie

    Mike Easter Guest

    Elainie wrote:

    > It has always bugged me not being able to set my gmail or Mac mail to
    > provide me with a status/delivery report of the kind that informs me
    > whether the recipient has opened (and by consequence, presumably read)
    > the email.
    >
    > I am sure that it must be possible, as I know that it is possible in
    > non-gmail and Mac mail programs; I just can't seem to make it work
    > here.

    The feature you are most likely speaking of is 'return receipt' or
    'read' receipt.

    Many mailuser agents have the feature of configuring to send a request
    for such a receipt.

    On the recipient's end, the recipient can configure to 'reply' or not
    reply or to be notified of such a receipt so that they can selectively
    reply or not. So in order for receipts to work, both ends have to be
    configured to enable it.

    Gmail's webmail doesn't have such a feature.

    The other method of doing that is to enclose a 'web beacon'. If you
    enclose a webbeacon and the recipient is configured insecurely, you can
    determine that the recipient opened the mail and triggered the beacon.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_tracking Email tracking is a method
    for monitoring your email delivery to your intended recipient.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Elainie

    Elainie Guest

    Very clever and very true, Whiskers.
    Thanks for the clarification and link, Mike.
    I had a look at the .readnotify.com (mentioned on Wikipedia) which
    seems excellent (though potentially highly dubious - if it goes through
    some pathway, does that allow the .readnotify.com to 'scan' the
    contents of the email ?
    I'm going to have to reasearch it a bit more, but many thanks.

    Best wishes,
    Elainie
    Elainie, Jan 22, 2007