email gets blocked as phishing by MS Mail

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by joled@rcn.com, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    We send out email campaigns to our customers that request email from
    us notifying them of specials/sales/... We are a ligitimate company
    and these emails are only sent to customers that request these emails.
    A customer has a Vista system and is using Microsoft Mail to read his
    email messages. He reports that email he gets from us is blocked by
    the mail reader and he receives the following message "Windows Mail
    thinks this email is suspicious and has blocked it" and has the option
    to read the mail anyway.

    My questions are
    - why does our email get flagged as phishing email?
    - is there a list that we are on for some reason the lists us as a
    phishers that MS Mail consults before opening an email?
    - if so does anyone know how to contact the keeper ofthe list to
    inquire as to how we got on it and how to get off of it?

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    joled
    , Mar 27, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Hello,
    > We send out email campaigns to our customers that request email from
    > us notifying them of specials/sales/... We are a ligitimate company
    > and these emails are only sent to customers that request these emails.
    > A customer has a Vista system and is using Microsoft Mail to read his
    > email messages. He reports that email he gets from us is blocked by
    > the mail reader and he receives the following message "Windows Mail
    > thinks this email is suspicious and has blocked it" and has the option
    > to read the mail anyway.
    >
    > My questions are
    > - why does our email get flagged as phishing email?

    I don't know the exact implementation, but it seems to be something like:
    if (random(100) == 100) blockMail();

    > - is there a list that we are on for some reason the lists us as a
    > phishers that MS Mail consults before opening an email?

    People reporting mail that they actually subscribed for a spam instead of
    unsibscribing is also implemented as stated above.

    > - if so does anyone know how to contact the keeper ofthe list to
    > inquire as to how we got on it and how to get off of it?

    <mailto:>
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 27, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Hello,

    >My questions are
    >- why does our email get flagged as phishing email?

    There are lots of reasons. Look around the net for information on
    spam filtering. You can also contact Microsoft (or at least search
    their web site) for information on their general blocking rules.
    Another source would be to contact your ISP and see if they offer
    help.

    >- is there a list that we are on for some reason the lists us as a
    >phishers that MS Mail consults before opening an email?

    There are lots of such lists. They may or may not be the reason why a
    message was blocked.

    Craig
    Craig A. Finseth, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Moe Trin Guest

    On 27 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, wrote:

    >We send out email campaigns to our customers that request email from
    >us notifying them of specials/sales/... We are a ligitimate company
    >and these emails are only sent to customers that request these emails.

    news://news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting and make POSITIVE you
    are only sending mail to people who INDEPENDENTLY CONFIRMED they want
    to receive it. That has to be a completely separate mail transaction
    where the customer agrees that 'yes they did request your mail a day
    or two ago'.

    >- why does our email get flagged as phishing email?

    Without seeing it - who knows. Are you sending HTML mail that automatically
    tries to do stuff to "help" your "customers"? Scripting? I filter both
    because of extreme abuse by clueless businesses.

    >- is there a list that we are on for some reason the lists us as a
    >phishers that MS Mail consults before opening an email?
    >- if so does anyone know how to contact the keeper ofthe list to
    >inquire as to how we got on it and how to get off of it?

    Any hits for your domain - your IP range - your ISP?

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Mar 28, 2007