Email format in word processing programs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, May 9, 2004.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
    word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
    document management techniques.

    The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
    copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or even
    Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
    to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
    mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
    dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
    unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
    lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't figure
    it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.

    Thanks.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, May 9, 2004

  2. "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    > I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
    > word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
    > document management techniques.
    >
    > The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
    > copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or

    even
    > Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
    > to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
    > mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
    > dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
    > unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
    > lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't

    figure
    > it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.

    Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a space.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Fully Managed, Dedicated and Colo Server Pkgs.

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., May 9, 2004

  3. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
    > > word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
    > > document management techniques.
    > >
    > > The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
    > > copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or

    > even
    > > Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than

    according
    > > to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my

    feeble
    > > mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
    > > dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
    > > unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
    > > lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't

    > figure
    > > it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.
    > >

    > Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a space.

    I can't seem to put the line return into the Find-and-Replace window.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, May 9, 2004
  4. Jim Beaver

    °Mike° Guest

    UltraEdit
    http://www.ultraedit.com/

    1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
    2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
    3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]

    All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
    preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).

    Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:52:58 GMT, in
    <_dunc.2681$>
    Jim Beaver scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 9, 2004
  5. Jim Beaver

    pcbutts1 Guest

    In Word you can select Edit>paste special>unformatted text. I don't know if
    word perfect has that same feature.

    pcbutts1, May 9, 2004
  6. Jim Beaver wrote:

    > "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote in
    > message news:...

    >> "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
    >> > word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing
    >> > and document management techniques.

    >> > The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
    >> > copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect
    >> > or

    >> even
    >> > Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than

    > according
    >> > to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my

    > feeble
    >> > mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but
    >> > I'm dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a
    >> > completely unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way
    >> > to reformat the lines after they've been pasted into the word
    >> > processor, but I can't

    >> figure
    >> > it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.

    >> Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a
    >> space.

    > I can't seem to put the line return into the Find-and-Replace window.

    Haven't used WP since about 1990, but with other word processors,
    there's usually a special code for formatting like that -- ^P (caret,
    upper-case-P) rings a bell from somewhere, but that's not to say it's a
    cross-processor standard. When you're in S&R, maybe an F1 or "Help"
    button might be context sensitive enough to discuss this kind of thing
    (if WP has those two features).

    Or look into "email stripper" programs, that reformat for you and even
    take out the greater-than quote indicators.

    eCleaner is what I think I used to use: Goggle it. And Google "email
    stripper" (as a phrase), too.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 9, 2004
  7. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > UltraEdit
    > http://www.ultraedit.com/
    >
    > 1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
    > 2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
    > 3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]
    >
    > All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
    > preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).
    >
    > Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.

    Thanks to the insights gained from your answers, I found how to do from
    within WordPerfect's structure: Edit>Find and Replace>Match>Codes. Choose
    (in this case) LnBrk and insert it in the find window. Put <nothing> in the
    replace with window.

    Thanks folks.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, May 10, 2004
  8. Jim Beaver

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:27:12 GMT, in
    <A%znc.771$>
    Jim Beaver scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> UltraEdit
    >> http://www.ultraedit.com/
    >>
    >> 1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
    >> 2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
    >> 3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]
    >>
    >> All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
    >> preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).
    >>
    >> Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.

    >Thanks to the insights gained from your answers, I found how to do from
    >within WordPerfect's structure: Edit>Find and Replace>Match>Codes. Choose
    >(in this case) LnBrk and insert it in the find window. Put <nothing> in the
    >replace with window.
    >
    >Thanks folks.
    >
    >Jim Beaver

    You're welcome.