    find all the emails so I can read them but that's not what I mean.
    It's the SeaMonkey system bit I need. I think I've found everything,
    but I want to make sure. The OS is XP home <spit, spit>
    Charani, Mar 14, 2009

  2. Charani wrote:
    > I need to back up my laptop but I need to locate where SeaMonkey keeps
    > all the information about emails and accounts so I can make sure I
    > have that to reinstall on a new laptop. I obviously know where to
    > find all the emails so I can read them but that's not what I mean.
    > It's the SeaMonkey system bit I need. I think I've found everything,
    > but I want to make sure. The OS is XP home <spit, spit>

    All you need is the SM profile. This is where all the
    data, prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc are kept.

    As for the program itself. Well, its better to
    reinstall that.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 14, 2009

  3. Charani

    Charani Guest

    Charani, Mar 14, 2009
  4. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:22:00 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > All you need is the SM profile. This is where all the
    > data, prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc are kept.
    >
    > As for the program itself. Well, its better to
    > reinstall that.

    Thank you :)) I've got that folder OK.
    Charani, Mar 14, 2009
  5. Charani

    Charani Guest

    I've been able to partially reinstall SeaMonkey *but* a number of
    email folders have not been copied and reinstalled. All of these are
    important folders. I've tried using MozBackUp to no avail.

    How do I move these folders from one machine to the other?
    Charani, Mar 15, 2009
  6. Charani wrote:
    > I've been able to partially reinstall SeaMonkey *but* a number of
    > email folders have not been copied and reinstalled. All of these are
    > important folders. I've tried using MozBackUp to no avail.
    >
    > How do I move these folders from one machine to the other?

    don't copy the .msf files

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 15, 2009
  7. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:32:17 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > don't copy the .msf files

    OK, thanks :))
    Charani, Mar 15, 2009
  8. Charani

    wrote:

    > don't copy the .msf files

    Tried without copying the .msf files and it still didn't work.

    My husband can't figure out why it won't work either. It worked
    before but won't this time. All there is in any account is just the
    Inbox and Trash: no drafts, templates, nothing - and no mails in any
    of them.
    Charani, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Charani wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:32:17 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> don't copy the .msf files

    > Tried without copying the .msf files and it still didn't work.
    >
    > My husband can't figure out why it won't work either. It worked
    > before but won't this time. All there is in any account is just the
    > Inbox and Trash: no drafts, templates, nothing - and no mails in any
    > of them.

    if you created a new account, then those other folders
    won't show up until you create a draft message, or a
    template, etc

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 16, 2009
  10. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:02:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > if you created a new account, then those other folders
    > won't show up until you create a draft message, or a
    > template, etc

    No new account was created. All the accounts that appeared were ones
    already in existence and with mails in them.

    My husband tried Thunderbird as well with exactly the same result.

    The accounts all show up perfectly in both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird
    on one machine complete with mails, back up perfectly all right in
    both but will not install on the other machine. New mails will
    download, but the existing ones will not appear. Ironically, if I'd
    saved all the mails to Local Folders, I'd still have them!!

    It appears that SeaMonkey has become corrupted somehow and nothing is
    going to move those mails successfully.

    All I can do now is a reformat and reinstall on both machines, then
    try again with both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird to see if the backup
    will be effective then. I'm not holding out any great hopes though.
    Charani, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Charani wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:02:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> if you created a new account, then those other folders
    >> won't show up until you create a draft message, or a
    >> template, etc

    > No new account was created. All the accounts that appeared were ones
    > already in existence and with mails in them.
    >
    > My husband tried Thunderbird as well with exactly the same result.
    >
    > The accounts all show up perfectly in both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird
    > on one machine complete with mails, back up perfectly all right in
    > both but will not install on the other machine. New mails will
    > download, but the existing ones will not appear. Ironically, if I'd
    > saved all the mails to Local Folders, I'd still have them!!
    >
    > It appears that SeaMonkey has become corrupted somehow and nothing is
    > going to move those mails successfully.
    >
    > All I can do now is a reformat and reinstall on both machines, then
    > try again with both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird to see if the backup
    > will be effective then. I'm not holding out any great hopes though.

    when you're moving the folders from one to another,
    you're doing so with the program closed, right!?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 16, 2009
  12. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:14:25 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > when you're moving the folders from one to another,
    > you're doing so with the program closed, right!?

    Yes.

    It's repeatedly said the program should be closed when doing anything
    (other than browsing or downloading mails obviously! :)) )
    Charani, Mar 16, 2009
  13. Charani

    wrote:

    > when you're moving the folders from one to another,
    > you're doing so with the program closed, right!?

    Problem resolved if not solved :))

    The local folders had kept all their contents so I made new folders
    there for all the account folders and copied the contents of the
    latter to the former and that seems to have worked!

    The template and draft folders have returned on one account but it's
    still missing the sent folder but I have a feeling that might come
    back when I send a mail from that address.

    Only thing is the Trash folder is now above the draft and templates
    folders which is going to confuse me for a while until I get used to
    it being in the "wrong" place.

    Thanks for your assistance :))
    Charani, Mar 17, 2009
  14. Charani wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:14:25 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> when you're moving the folders from one to another,
    >> you're doing so with the program closed, right!?

    > Problem resolved if not solved :))
    >
    > The local folders had kept all their contents so I made new folders
    > there for all the account folders and copied the contents of the
    > latter to the former and that seems to have worked!
    >
    > The template and draft folders have returned on one account but it's
    > still missing the sent folder but I have a feeling that might come
    > back when I send a mail from that address.
    >
    > Only thing is the Trash folder is now above the draft and templates
    > folders which is going to confuse me for a while until I get used to
    > it being in the "wrong" place.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance :))

    You are correct, the folder should be recreated once there is a need for it.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 17, 2009
  15. Charani

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:44:43 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > You are correct, the folder should be recreated once there is a need for it.

    Thanks :))
    Charani, Mar 17, 2009