    What is everyone using and why?

    I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!
    agent_mcgee, Dec 24, 2007

  2. agent_mcgee

    Richard Guest

    agent_mcgee wrote:
    > What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
    > Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
    >
    > Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
    > like Outlook anyway.
    >
    > What is everyone using and why?
    >
    > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    > new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

    Hate webmail, use outlook for emails here since its the one that has the
    best search, good editor and doesnt store every folder in a seperate
    file like most others do.
    Richard, Dec 24, 2007

  3. On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:26:13 -0800, agent_mcgee wrote:

    > What is everyone using and why?

    I use Evolution on the desktop, and Pine if I want to view email directly
    from on the server.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Dec 24, 2007
  4. agent_mcgee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article
    <>,
    agent_mcgee <> wrote:

    > What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
    > Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
    >
    > Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
    > like Outlook anyway.
    >
    > What is everyone using and why?
    >
    > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    > new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

    I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
    email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
    to mark spam as spam and then block it.
    whoisthis, Dec 24, 2007
  5. agent_mcgee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <476f928b$>, Richard <>
    wrote:

    > agent_mcgee wrote:
    > > What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
    > > Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
    > >
    > > Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
    > > like Outlook anyway.
    > >
    > > What is everyone using and why?
    > >
    > > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    > > new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

    > Hate webmail, use outlook for emails here since its the one that has the
    > best search, good editor and doesnt store every folder in a seperate
    > file like most others do.

    The bad side os a single file/database is if gets corrupted you can
    loose everything. Equally if you do incremental backups you have to back
    up everything rather than just the new emails.
    whoisthis, Dec 24, 2007
  6. agent_mcgee

    Tony Guest

    > I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
    > email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
    > to mark spam as spam and then block it.

    A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !
    Tony, Dec 25, 2007
  7. agent_mcgee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <newscache$wofltj$afd$>,
    Tony <> wrote:

    > > I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
    > > email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
    > > to mark spam as spam and then block it.

    > A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

    NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.
    whoisthis, Dec 25, 2007
  8. agent_mcgee

    Sonn Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <newscache$wofltj$afd$>,
    > Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
    >>> email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
    >>> to mark spam as spam and then block it.

    >> A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

    > NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

    Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird. (Handles webmail, email,
    and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a calendar add-on
    option.) Absolutely tops.
    S.
    Sonn, Dec 25, 2007
  9. agent_mcgee

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Dec 24, 10:26 pm, agent_mcgee <> wrote:
    > What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
    > Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
    >
    > Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
    > like Outlook anyway.
    >
    > What is everyone using and why?

    I use Yahoo Mail for personal emails and have done for about 15 years.
    I find that being ISP-independent is great, especially given the email
    problems NZ ISP's have had over the years, and since I don't get sent
    many large attachments I don't find speed to be an issue.
    Chris Lim, Dec 25, 2007
  10. agent_mcgee

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Dec 24, 10:26 pm, agent_mcgee <> wrote:
    > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    > new Bubble thing.  Gmail is awesome too!

    Oh, forgot to say that one reason I've stayed away from Gmail is
    because I use Google Groups as my newsreader and I know how crap that
    is. I'll wait a few years to see how Gmail is then before I even
    consider using it as my primary email address.
    Chris Lim, Dec 25, 2007
  11. agent_mcgee

    Graymond Guest

    On Dec 25, 11:35 pm, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 10:26 pm, agent_mcgee <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
    > > new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

    > Oh, forgot to say that one reason I've stayed away from Gmail is
    > because I use Google Groups as my newsreader and I know how crap that
    > is. I'll wait a few years to see how Gmail is then before I even
    > consider using it as my primary email address.

    Have used Gmail since it started, download headers with Mail Washer as
    a personal check of what's there then hit the process mail button
    which starts Thunderbird then hit the download mail button on
    Thunderbird. Never had a spam problem. Also note I never let my mail
    program auto start.
    Graymond, Dec 25, 2007
  12. agent_mcgee

    Tony Guest

    >>> A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

    >> NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

    > Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird. (Handles webmail, email,
    > and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a calendar add-on
    > option.) Absolutely tops.
    > S.

    My ISP is a lot better than gmail at removing spam, it should be though
    I built the anti-spam system :) haha
    Tony, Dec 25, 2007
  13. agent_mcgee

    Enkidu Guest

    Sonn wrote:
    > whoisthis wrote:

    >>> A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

    >> NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

    > Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird. (Handles webmail, email,
    > and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a calendar add-on
    > option.) Absolutely tops.

    I get plenty of SPAM on my GMail account. Much of it gets dumped in the
    SPAM folder, but a fair chunk gets through to the Inbox. Where do you
    get this 'no spam' thing from? It's absolutely untrue!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Dec 25, 2007
  14. agent_mcgee

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

    I have disclosed my gmail address to THREE people, none of whom have
    disclosed it to anyone else. I have only ever used it to communicate with
    those people (no web forms, subscriptions, newsgroup postings, *nothing*)
    Yet I still get spam in my gmail mailbox. In fact the spam started to come
    in before I'd actually told *anyone* (except Google) about the address, and
    before I'd ever sent any email. To me this sounds like Google is
    on-selling the email addresses (or someone at Google is). I suppose
    spammers could be speculatively trying any name combination with trailing
    numbers and embedded punctuatiion, and just hit upon the correct local part
    of my gmail address, but that seems quite far-fetched, dunnit?

    As for the question: I use Outlook (connecting to Exchange) for access to
    my main mail address, and use the Outlook Web Client only when not on my
    usual PC. For my hotmail address (which is only for junk) I use OE. I
    really don't like web UIs for either mail or forums. All the ones I've
    seen bite.

    --
    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Dec 25, 2007
  15. agent_mcgee

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
    > Sonn wrote:
    >> whoisthis wrote:

    >>> NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes
    >>> that is.

    >> Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird. (Handles webmail,
    >> email, and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a
    >> calendar add-on option.) Absolutely tops.
    >>

    > I get plenty of SPAM on my GMail account. Much of it gets dumped in
    > the SPAM folder, but a fair chunk gets through to the Inbox. Where do
    > you get this 'no spam' thing from? It's absolutely untrue!

    Using Gmail as web-based email (with gmail notify running in the systray)
    and being one of the first on-board (when you had to be really lucky to get
    an invite) I've had exactly *one* spam message make it into my inbox,
    despite posting my addy in newsgroups on occasion. I consider that to be
    pretty damn good.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2007
  16. agent_mcgee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Adam Cameron <> wrote:

    > > NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

    > I have disclosed my gmail address to THREE people, none of whom have
    > disclosed it to anyone else. I have only ever used it to communicate with
    > those people (no web forms, subscriptions, newsgroup postings, *nothing*)
    > Yet I still get spam in my gmail mailbox. In fact the spam started to come
    > in before I'd actually told *anyone* (except Google) about the address, and
    > before I'd ever sent any email. To me this sounds like Google is
    > on-selling the email addresses (or someone at Google is). I suppose
    > spammers could be speculatively trying any name combination with trailing
    > numbers and embedded punctuatiion, and just hit upon the correct local part
    > of my gmail address, but that seems quite far-fetched, dunnit?
    >
    > As for the question: I use Outlook (connecting to Exchange) for access to
    > my main mail address, and use the Outlook Web Client only when not on my
    > usual PC. For my hotmail address (which is only for junk) I use OE. I
    > really don't like web UIs for either mail or forums. All the ones I've
    > seen bite.

    Last spam I had in my gmail account was well over a year ago
    whoisthis, Dec 26, 2007
  17. agent_mcgee

    agent_mcgee Guest

    On 26 Dec, 09:21, Tony
    <> wrote:

    > >> NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is..

    > > Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird.  (Handles webmail, email,
    > > and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a calendar add-on
    > > option.)  Absolutely tops.
    > > S.

    > My ISP is a lot better than gmail at removing spam, it should be though
    > I built the anti-spam system :)  haha

    Which ISP exactly are you using and did you REALLY build the anti-spam
    system or are you just telling fibs ;-)
    agent_mcgee, Dec 26, 2007
  18. agent_mcgee

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Last spam I had in my gmail account was well over a year ago

    Mileage varies then, I suppose.

    --
    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Dec 26, 2007
  19. agent_mcgee

    RL Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
    >> email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow
    >> you to mark spam as spam and then block it.

    > A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

    No, a good ISP doesn't do anything to your mail other than deliver it,
    spam or not.

    RL
    RL, Dec 26, 2007
  20. agent_mcgee

    Richard Guest

    Adam Cameron wrote:
    >> Last spam I had in my gmail account was well over a year ago

    > Mileage varies then, I suppose.

    I also dont have a problem with much spam getting into my inbox with
    gmail, I do have a problem with loads of legit emails going into my spam
    folder tho. Why people focus on the non-issue of how much spam is let
    thru and ignore the real problem of real emails go missing is something
    I dont get.
    Richard, Dec 27, 2007