email checker?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "anOLDun" <> wrote in message
    | Lo All, again
    |
    | No big issue this time - more a case of "which one is better"
    |
    | For Downloading my emails:-
    | 1 .. I use a programme called MAIL WASHER.
    | (prior to D/L them thru outlook express if needs be)
    |
    | 2 .. Now i have AVG installed and running it ALSO seems to be checking my
    | emails at the same time as MAIL WASHER.
    |
    | Are they both as good as each other?
    | if not which one should i shut down?
    |
    | Cheers

    IIRC, those programs don't do the same thing - one is a "spam" filter, the
    other is anti-virus. Keep them both. Use them well.

    anOLDun, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim

    Mike Easter Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > For Downloading my emails:-
    > 1 .. I use a programme called MAIL WASHER.

    Please please please please disable any kind of fraudulent bogus
    bouncing which the developers of MW try to delude its customers into
    believing is a 'feature'.

    Bogus bouncing of spam is fraudulent and abusive to the forged Froms on
    spams. The information about it at the MW site is completely
    misleading. Out and out lies.

    Healthy and honest spamfilters refuse to have anything to do with such
    bogus bouncing. Whatever occasional utility or appropriate use such
    bogus 'bouncing' might rarely have is far overridden by the fact that MW
    makes that behavior the default and sometimes people have trouble
    completely ridding themselves of it, since it 'permeates' the app.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Toolman Tim

    Richard Guest

    anOLDun wrote:

    > Lo All, again

    > No big issue this time - more a case of "which one is better"

    > For Downloading my emails:-
    > 1 .. I use a programme called MAIL WASHER.
    > (prior to D/L them thru outlook express if needs be)

    > 2 .. Now i have AVG installed and running it ALSO seems to be checking my
    > emails at the same time as MAIL WASHER.

    > Are they both as good as each other?
    > if not which one should i shut down?

    > Cheers

    AVG checks your mail for virus attachments.
    MW allows you to see en masse what is on your server before you download it.
    Some services have web based mail handling sites.
    You might want to use that instead of your local program.
    When I've been gone weeks at a time, I'll go to the web site and check the
    mail there first.
    I know who the spammers are and if I don't want to read their crap, a few
    clicks and they're garbage.

    Richard, Nov 27, 2004