Email alignment

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Golden, Aug 28, 2009.

  1. Golden

    Golden Guest

    This is a Quote from my club

    "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
    They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
    original format that it was prepared.
    Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
    and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
    Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
    encountered difficulties with the alignment results."

    She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
    problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

    I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
    word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
    using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
    all the information I can.
    Thank You
    Golden, Aug 28, 2009

  2. Golden

    VanguardLH Guest

    Golden wrote:

    > This is a Quote from my club
    >
    > "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
    > They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
    > original format that it was prepared.
    > Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
    > and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
    > Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
    > encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
    >
    > She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
    > problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?
    >
    > I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
    > word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    > Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
    > using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    HTML-formatted e-mail messages are NOT HTML web pages. Outlook is an
    e-mail client that supports reading of basic HTML-formatted e-mails, not
    a web browser to render complete web pages. If they want to send Word
    documents then they should attach them. Word is a crappy HTML editor.
    For one thing, it inserts directives that non-Word viewers won't
    understand as they are Microsoft proprietary formatting directives that
    only Word understands.

    Just because an HTML-formatted e-mail looks good when you compose it
    doesn't mean that is how it will look to the recipient. That is why you
    use simple HTML tags in HTML-formatted e-mails. If you need to send
    more complex documents then attach them and force the recipient to use a
    viewer that is more capable of rendering it.

    The problem is with the sender composing their message inside of Word
    and then expecting non-Word recipients to be able to read it.
    VanguardLH, Aug 28, 2009

  3. Golden

    Jordon Guest

    Golden wrote:
    > This is a Quote from my club
    >
    > "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
    > They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
    > original format that it was prepared.
    > Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style
    > changes, and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
    > Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few
    > have encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
    >
    > She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have
    > a problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

    Using Works? To compose an email or to create an attachment
    that was sent with an email? Did she use Works to create an
    email and then copy and paste it into the email message body
    or did she create a document and attach the document to the
    email?

    > I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and
    > one word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    > Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem.
    > I'm using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    How did you get it into Word? If you're really talking about
    an attachment, it has nothing to do with the email and has
    everything to do with what created the attachment.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Aug 28, 2009
  4. Golden

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:18:33 -0700, "Golden" <> wrote:

    >This is a Quote from my club
    >
    >"Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
    >They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
    >original format that it was prepared.
    >Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
    >and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
    >Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
    >encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
    >
    >She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
    >problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

    How is this 'flyer' being sent to you? HTML? PDF? Works? Something
    else?

    >I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
    >word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    >Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
    >using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    How was this reservation sent to you? HTML? PDF? Works? Something
    else?

    >I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
    >all the information I can.

    Oh boy...
    Evan Platt, Aug 28, 2009
  5. Golden

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-28, Golden <> wrote:
    > This is a Quote from my club
    >
    > "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
    > They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
    > original format that it was prepared.
    > Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
    > and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
    > Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
    > encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
    >
    > She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
    > problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

    The problem is the way the messages are being sent. Plain text is the
    only form that can be relied on to be legible to both sender and recipient
    of an email. People won't all necessarily see it looking the same at all,
    as far as line-breaks, font, and colour, are concerned - because they will
    (or could if they bothered) configure those aspects to suit their personal
    preferences.

    If she wants to send a 'flyer' (whatever that is - some sort of small
    advertising poster?) it should be as an attachment that can be viewed in a
    non-proprietary form such as HTML (view in a web browser), Portable
    Document Format (PDF - several free viewers) or JPEG (view in an image
    viewer). Word Processor files are entirely the wrong thing to share with
    anyone - even different versions of the same program can't always cope.

    > I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
    > word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    > Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
    > using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    Whatever method was used for composing the message, your version of
    MS Word seems to have been a bit better at 'rendering' it than your email
    program.

    > I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
    > all the information I can.
    > Thank You

    The 'raw' email (possibly called the 'original' or 'source') probably
    contains clues, such as a 'Content-type' header and possibly 'Part' or
    'boundary' indicators in the 'body' of the message. For instance, I just
    got one today from my phone company with these headers (among many others)

    and lower down in the 'body' there are two 'boundary markers':

    ------=_Part_77637_2284923.1251478595655

    and even lower:

    ------=_Part_77637_2284923.1251478595655

    These tell me (and my email program) what the message is 'encoded' as.
    The 'text/plain' section contains all the information required; the
    'text/html' part repeats all the same information but with lots of
    pointless 'formatting' and 'colours' and so on (and links to the
    company's own web server to fetch images so that they can see who has read
    the email, when they read it, and where from, and using what software, and
    how often - at least those people who haven't set up their email software
    to block that sort of thing!)

    The 'text/plain' part is 3.94KB in size. The 'text/html' part adds a
    further 72.64KB, to no good purpose as far as I'm concerned. It also
    manages to include 402 coding errors!

    That is one of the better HTML-included emails I have to cope with.
    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 28, 2009
  6. Golden

    Golden Guest

    >> I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and
    >> one word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
    >> Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem.
    >> I'm using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

    > How did you get it into Word? If you're really talking about
    > an attachment, it has nothing to do with the email and has
    > everything to do with what created the attachment.
    >
    > --
    > Jordon

    It wasn't an attachment. I save the email into a folder and open word then
    open the email which open up into a word document
    Golden, Aug 28, 2009