    AVG
    and Outlook Express

    tia

    Lookout, Dec 17, 2005

  2. On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:35:16 -0600, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
    >with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
    >the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
    >Windows XP with firewall
    >AVG
    >and Outlook Express
    >
    >tia

    Cookies

    Dave the exTrailer, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Lookout

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Dave the exTrailer" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:35:16 -0600, Lookout <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
    >>with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
    >>the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
    >>Windows XP with firewall
    >>AVG
    >>and Outlook Express
    >>
    >>tia

    > Cookies

    cookies don't know email addies!
    all they know is the logon name, unless the user inputs data to the site or
    on the page.

    what site are we talking about??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Lookout

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
    > with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
    > the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
    > Windows XP with firewall
    > AVG
    > and Outlook Express

    Perhaps from a cookie from some other site which she did give her email
    address, depending upon her cookie management

    Perhaps she went to a site to look around which already had her email
    address and had sent her a spam which had a uniqueID in the link which
    she clicked to go to the site.

    She shouldn't be opening her spam, much less receptively reading her
    spam, much less believing her spam, much less clicking on her spam's
    links. Ideally she shouldn't even be allowing spam into her Inbox but
    instead having it filter ruled somewhere else.

    Maybe she's an insecure spammee spam-shopping person who profits
    spammers and who is a significant part of what causes so much spam for
    everyone.

    There's a lot we don't know here about the insecurities of her browser
    and mailhandling configuration -- except that she is using a potentially
    very insecure mailuser agent integrated with a very very insecure
    browser rendering engine inseparable from an insecure OS. The fact that
    she also happens to be using an AV and personal software 'firewall' -
    which isn't exactly a firewall - won't help her much with some of those
    other insecurities.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2005