    I noticed many people using newsgroups seem to have, well, for lack of a
    better word, bogus email addresses. Is that the best policy?

    jonesie

    bjones, Sep 23, 2003

  2. bjones

    Boomer Guest

    bjones said:

    > Another newbie question.. btw, you guys are great with the
    > answers.
    >
    > I think I learned something today... noticed an increase in my
    > incoming emails containing that swen virus... checked email
    > properties and most of them were coming to the mailbox i created
    > for newsgroups. I guess that was dumb.
    >
    > I noticed many people using newsgroups seem to have, well, for
    > lack of a better word, bogus email addresses. Is that the best
    > policy?
    >
    > jonesie

    ~ Munging ~
    http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

    If you use OE go to...
    Tools> Accounts> News> Properties> General tab
    Change your account name in User Information.

    ~ Spambots ~
    http://www.sendfakemail.com/fakemail/botbait/makebait.asp

    ~ Harvesting ~
    http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/spam/harvesting.html

    ~Safe Hex ~
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/safehex.html
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Freeware programs:
    SpamPal for Windows http://www.spampal.org/
    FrontGateMX http://www.presorium.com/index.shtml

    Unpatched IE security holes
    http://pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

    Boomer, Sep 23, 2003

  3. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, always.

    How do spammers harvest email addresses
    http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

    SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
    http://www.internet-tips.net/Email/SPAM_munging.htm

    How To Deal With Spam
    http://pobox.com/nospam.html

    Korean Spam Filter
    http://www.siue.edu/~jpogats/korea.html

    SPAM Tips and help
    http://spam.abuse.net/spam/userhelp/

    SpamCop
    http://spamcop.net/

    SpamCop FAQ Parsing and reporting spam
    http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:52:24 -0400, in
    <pGNbb.12187$>
    bjones scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  4. bjones

    Rover Guest

    See my return address... this prevents it from fouling up my ISP's
    server because it never makes it there; that is to say, put the
    REMOVETHIS on the right side of the @ sign. If you put it on the left
    side, it makes it to the server then has to bounce it because it can't
    find the addressee.

    Rover, Sep 23, 2003
  5. bjones

    bjones Guest

    Okay guys, thanks for the info. Hmmmm, I wonder how long before the guys
    with the spam-bots put in software to automatically clean harvested email
    addresses of phrases like REMOVETHIS?

    jonesie

    bjones, Sep 23, 2003
  6. bjones

    Boomer Guest

    bjones said:

    > Okay guys, thanks for the info. Hmmmm, I wonder how long before
    > the guys with the spam-bots put in software to automatically
    > clean harvested email addresses of phrases like REMOVETHIS?
    >
    > jonesie

    I'm sure it's already been done.

    Boomer, Sep 23, 2003
  7. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    They already do. Read the links. The ONLY way to munge
    your address is to add .INVALID as the top level domain,
    like so: LID

    No matter how many bots harvest that address, it will go
    nowhere. It is specially reserved for this purpose.

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:21:12 -0400, in
    <o5Obb.12309$>
    bjones scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  8. bjones

    PeeJay Guest

    So why can't the bots just delete the .INVALID ???

    From: Pee Jay
    peejay at aussiemail dot com dot au

    At Fabulous Forresters Beach
    Central Coast NSW Australia

    PeeJay, Sep 23, 2003
  9. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    Presumably, because it's the top level domain, and (to them)
    removing the top level domain would give the mail nowhere
    to go - IOW, they're not intelligent enough.

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:24:02 +1000, in
    <>
    PeeJay scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  10. bjones

    PeeJay Guest

    Well if they can be programmed to remove "REMOVETHIS" then they can be
    programmed to remove ".INVALID" - should be simple

    From: Pee Jay

    PeeJay, Sep 23, 2003
  11. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    You don't even know what a top level domain is, do you?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:29:05 +1000, in
    <>
    PeeJay scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  12. bjones

    PeeJay Guest

    Do you know anything about programming??

    From: Pee Jay

    PeeJay, Sep 23, 2003
  13. bjones

    Bad Dog Guest

    bjones wrote:
    > Another newbie question.. btw, you guys are great with the answers.
    >
    > I think I learned something today... noticed an increase in my incoming
    > emails containing that swen virus... checked email properties and most of
    > them were coming to the mailbox i created for newsgroups. I guess that
    > was dumb.
    >
    > I noticed many people using newsgroups seem to have, well, for lack of a
    > better word, bogus email addresses. Is that the best policy?
    >
    > jonesie

    If you change your user name, somebody else may get your Spam. Always make
    your change on the server side of the @ sign.

    From: "bjones" <>

    From: "bjones" <>

    --
    Bad Dog *eg*

    Bad Dog, Sep 23, 2003
  14. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    What has that to do with anything?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:40:37 +1000, in
    <>
    PeeJay scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  15. Howdy!

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > What has that to do with anything?

    There IS no .INVALID TLD in real life, so any decent programmer
    could set a 'bot up to strip .INVALID off the end of a string. And if
    what's left DOES have a valid TLD, well, the better it is!

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 24, 2003
  16. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:18:19 -0500, in
    <bkqtlp$4rn5f$-berlin.de>
    Ralph Wade Phillips scrawled:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> What has that to do with anything?
    >>

    > There IS no .INVALID TLD in real life, so any decent programmer
    >could set a 'bot up to strip .INVALID off the end of a string. And if
    >what's left DOES have a valid TLD, well, the better it is!
    >
    > RwP

    RFC2606: Reserved Top Level DNS Names
    ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
    names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
    glance are invalid.

    The idea of using INVALID is to replace the normal TLD with it,
    rendering any stripping by a bot a useless exercise.

    http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html#how-mung

    "DO: lid
    (use ONLY .invalid to do this!) "

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 24, 2003
  17. bjones

    PeeJay Guest

    What it has to do with is that I must know more about programming and
    domain names than you do.

    From: Pee Jay

    PeeJay, Sep 24, 2003
  18. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    That still has nothing to do with the question. And if it was as
    simple as you seem to think it is, don't you think that the bot
    writers would have already done it? But, if you think you know
    better, and could do better, go ahead and make yourself a
    fortune...

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:45:39 +1000, in
    <>
    PeeJay scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 24, 2003
  19. bjones

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:37:46 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >That still has nothing to do with the question. And if it was as
    >simple as you seem to think it is, don't you think that the bot
    >writers would have already done it? But, if you think you know
    >better, and could do better, go ahead and make yourself a
    >fortune...

    It probably wouldn't do any good anyway, now that Verisign is hijacking TLDs and
    telling ICANN to take a hike.

    "Personally I hope they get sued out of existence. Or blocked out of existence.
    Either is good."

    >On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:45:39 +1000, in
    > <>
    > PeeJay scrawled:
    >
    >>What it has to do with is that I must know more about programming and
    >>domain names than you do.

    <I really, really doubt that.>

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Sep 24, 2003
  20. bjones

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:53:36 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:37:46 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>That still has nothing to do with the question. And if it was as
    >>simple as you seem to think it is, don't you think that the bot
    >>writers would have already done it? But, if you think you know
    >>better, and could do better, go ahead and make yourself a
    >>fortune...

    >It probably wouldn't do any good anyway, now that Verisign is
    >hijacking TLDs and telling ICANN to take a hike.
    >
    >"Personally I hope they get sued out of existence. Or blocked out
    >of existence. Either is good."

    <AOL> Agreed. </AOL>

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Sep 24, 2003