Emachines

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2010.

  1. In article <>, nof <> wrote:
    >My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    >that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    >Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    >anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    >further ado?

    Seriously suggest that you go back to XP, not vista ... particularly on a
    lap top. Your user experience will be much enhanced. :)

    nof, Sep 16, 2010

  3. In message
    <>, nof
    wrote:

    > My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with [Dimdows] 7.

    Want a modern, up-to-date system that will continue to support your
    hardware? You really have only one choice.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2010
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:49:05 -0700, nof wrote:

    > My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified that
    > through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to Vista. I
    > know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed.

    Count yourself lucky. Move forward to something better than MS Windows.

    Sweetpea, Sep 16, 2010
  5. On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:49:05 -0700 (PDT), nof <> wrote:

    >My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    >that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    >Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    >anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    >further ado?
    >
    >Thanks
    >nof

    Use the MS WIN 7 compatibility tool to check your PC as it comes in
    mutable flavors, the G520 model no. does not mean a thing..

    William Brown, Sep 16, 2010
  6. On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:49:05 -0700 (PDT), nof <> wrote:

    >My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    >that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    >Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    >anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    >further ado?
    >
    >Thanks
    >nof

    Use this MS tool to find out

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

    You dont state what is in your G520 as that is only a batch name..

    William Brown, Sep 16, 2010
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Squiggle Guest

    On 16/09/2010 11:49 a.m., nof threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    > that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    > Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    > anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    > further ado?
    >
    > Thanks
    > nof

    Out of interest, what is it that makes it not win 7 compatible?
    From what I can see, its an intel celeron CPU, intel chipset with intel
    integrated graphics, and 2GB of ram. Will never be a fast machine, but
    should be capable of running windows 7 with all the bling turned off I
    would have thought.

    Squiggle, Sep 16, 2010
  8. On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:35:16 +1200, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >On 16/09/2010 11:49 a.m., nof threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    >> that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    >> Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    >> anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    >> further ado?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> nof

    >Out of interest, what is it that makes it not win 7 compatible?
    >From what I can see, its an intel celeron CPU, intel chipset with intel
    >integrated graphics, and 2GB of ram. Will never be a fast machine, but
    >should be capable of running windows 7 with all the bling turned off I
    >would have thought.

    There more than one model of the G520, that it just th base number.

    I posted the link for the MS tool to test it..

    William Brown, Sep 17, 2010
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On 16/09/2010 11:49 a.m., nof threw some characters down the
    > intarwebs:
    >> My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    >> that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    >> Vista. I know it is on my system but it cannot be accessed. Would
    >> anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    >> further ado?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> nof

    > Out of interest, what is it that makes it not win 7 compatible?
    > From what I can see, its an intel celeron CPU, intel chipset with
    > intel integrated graphics, and 2GB of ram. Will never be a fast
    > machine, but should be capable of running windows 7 with all the
    > bling turned off I would have thought.

    I'm with you Squiggs. As Vista is Windows NT 6.0 and 'Windows 7' is Windows
    NT 6.1 there's no reason that it won't run. Ok, Aero will likely have to be
    turned off but I'd rather have 7 minus Aero than Vista every day off the
    week.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted? Will they come again
    next week, can my mind really take it?"

    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2010
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    nof Guest

    On 17 Sep, 18:36, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >

    > > On 16/09/2010 11:49 a.m., nof threw some characters down the
    > > intarwebs:
    > >> My laptop, model G520, is not compatible with W 7. I have verified
    > >> that through the Forum for W 7 several times. I need to go back to
    > >> Vista. I know it is on my system but it  cannot be accessed. Would
    > >> anyone tell me if it is ok to download it and install it without
    > >> further ado?

    > >> Thanks
    > >> nof

    > > Out of interest, what is it that makes it not win 7 compatible?
    > > From what I can see, its an intel celeron CPU, intel chipset with
    > > intel integrated graphics, and 2GB of ram. Will never be a fast
    > > machine, but should be capable of running windows 7 with all the
    > > bling turned off I would have thought.

    > I'm with you Squiggs. As Vista is Windows NT 6.0 and 'Windows 7' is Windows
    > NT 6.1 there's no reason that it won't run. Ok, Aero will likely have to be
    > turned off but I'd rather have 7 minus Aero than Vista every day off the
    > week.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted? Will they come again
    > next week, can my mind really take it?"

    Thank you very much for your interesting reactions. They all help.

    Yes there are other versions of G520 but I am stuck with mine. I have
    at last decided to go back to Vista because that is what was
    installed. W7 programs such as control panel rarely operate. Day after
    day I have wrestled with W 7 since it went on sale and I am out of
    time and patience. Vista is inaccessible because I can't find it
    anywhere on my machine. My question about downloading Vista is my
    last shot in the locker. The retailer was DSE and I will check with
    the manager but as it is a software problem they won't be involved. I
    have spent long periods in DSE shops here and in Aus over 20 years
    from 3.1 version to today. XP is better all round. I have it installed
    on another laptop. No complaints there. eMachines is heading for the
    dump. New laptop running W 7 is in prospect.

    Thank you all
    nof

    Is it possible to d'load Vista without more ado?

    nof, Sep 18, 2010
  11. In message
    <>, nof
    wrote:

    > The retailer was DSE and I will check with the manager but as it is a
    > software problem they won't be involved.

    They sold it to you as a package, didn’t they? Why doesn’t the warranty
    cover it as a package, then?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 18, 2010
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nof wrote:
    > On 17 Sep, 18:36, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >>

    >>> On 16/09/2010 11:49 a.m., nof threw some characters down the
    >>> intarwebs:

    >>> Out of interest, what is it that makes it not win 7 compatible?
    >>> From what I can see, its an intel celeron CPU, intel chipset with
    >>> intel integrated graphics, and 2GB of ram. Will never be a fast
    >>> machine, but should be capable of running windows 7 with all the
    >>> bling turned off I would have thought.

    >> I'm with you Squiggs. As Vista is Windows NT 6.0 and 'Windows 7' is
    >> Windows NT 6.1 there's no reason that it won't run. Ok, Aero will
    >> likely have to be turned off but I'd rather have 7 minus Aero than
    >> Vista every day off the week.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> "Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted? Will they come
    >> again next week, can my mind really take it?"

    > Thank you very much for your interesting reactions. They all help.
    >
    > Yes there are other versions of G520 but I am stuck with mine. I have
    > at last decided to go back to Vista because that is what was
    > installed. W7 programs such as control panel rarely operate. Day after
    > day I have wrestled with W 7 since it went on sale and I am out of
    > time and patience. Vista is inaccessible because I can't find it
    > anywhere on my machine. My question about downloading Vista is my
    > last shot in the locker. The retailer was DSE and I will check with
    > the manager but as it is a software problem they won't be involved. I
    > have spent long periods in DSE shops here and in Aus over 20 years
    > from 3.1 version to today. XP is better all round. I have it installed
    > on another laptop. No complaints there. eMachines is heading for the
    > dump. New laptop running W 7 is in prospect.
    >
    > Thank you all
    > nof
    >
    > Is it possible to d'load Vista without more ado?

    No. Unless you're a pirate? It *is* 'talk like a pirate' day tomorow (?)

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2010
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    Murray Symon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs nof wrote:

    >>> I'm with you Squiggs. As Vista is Windows NT 6.0 and 'Windows 7' is
    >>> Windows NT 6.1 there's no reason that it won't run. Ok, Aero will
    >>> likely have to be turned off but I'd rather have 7 minus Aero than
    >>> Vista every day off the week.
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> "Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted? Will they come
    >>> again next week, can my mind really take it?"

    >> Thank you very much for your interesting reactions. They all help.
    >>
    >> Yes there are other versions of G520 but I am stuck with mine. I have
    >> at last decided to go back to Vista because that is what was
    >> installed. W7 programs such as control panel rarely operate. Day after
    >> day I have wrestled with W 7 since it went on sale and I am out of
    >> time and patience. Vista is inaccessible because I can't find it
    >> anywhere on my machine. My question about downloading Vista is my
    >> last shot in the locker. The retailer was DSE and I will check with
    >> the manager but as it is a software problem they won't be involved. I
    >> have spent long periods in DSE shops here and in Aus over 20 years
    >> from 3.1 version to today. XP is better all round. I have it installed
    >> on another laptop. No complaints there. eMachines is heading for the
    >> dump. New laptop running W 7 is in prospect.
    >>
    >> Thank you all
    >> nof
    >>
    >> Is it possible to d'load Vista without more ado?

    > No. Unless you're a pirate? It *is* 'talk like a pirate' day tomorow (?)

    Heh, I wonder what do Intellectual Property pirates talk like ? ;-)
    (Or maybe we could all try and speak Somali?).
    Cue jokes about iPatches, ipads, aye-aye pads, etc...

    Murray Symon, Sep 18, 2010