    find out.
    Thanks.
    Jim.
    grandad, Apr 30, 2004

  2. grandad wrote:
    > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > find out.
    > Thanks.
    > Jim.

    Should be able to take whatever you give it, with very few exceptions.
    How big are you looking to go?

    --
    I'm not a racist - I hate everybody EQUALLY!
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?-Cryogenic-=A9?=, Apr 30, 2004

  3. grandad

    grandad Guest

    "-Cryogenic-©" <> wrote in message
    > grandad wrote:
    > > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > > find out.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Jim.

    > Should be able to take whatever you give it, with very few exceptions.
    > How big are you looking to go?
    >
    > --
    > I'm not a racist - I hate everybody EQUALLY!

    About 120Gbs. Do you reckon that should be OK.
    Jim
    grandad, Apr 30, 2004
  4. grandad wrote:

    > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > find out.
    > Thanks.
    > Jim.

    Sorry, looks like I misled you about the "me" privacy
    address. Guess you will have to settle for sharing 8 with
    me! My fault, I passed on information without enough checks
    to make sure it was accurate.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 30, 2004
  5. grandad

    grandad Guest

    "Palindr☻me" <> wrote in message
    > grandad wrote:
    >
    > > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > > find out.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Jim.
    > >

    > Sorry, looks like I misled you about the "me" privacy
    > address. Guess you will have to settle for sharing 8 with
    > me! My fault, I passed on information without enough checks
    > to make sure it was accurate.

    Thanks for all your help. I have changed accordingly.
    Didn't want to upset any body but I hadn't fully understood the procedure.
    Kind regards.
    Jim.
    grandad, Apr 30, 2004
  6. grandad

    Plato Guest

    grandad wrote:

    > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > find out.

    What's the speed of the processor? This will help guess if it can handle
    hard drives over 32 gig.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 1, 2004
  7. grandad

    grandad Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > grandad wrote:
    > >
    > > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > > find out.

    > What's the speed of the processor? This will help guess if it can handle
    > hard drives over 32 gig.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Sorry, don't know and can't get hold of him at the moment.
    I will ask him to reply to your message himself.
    Many thanks. Jim.
    grandad, May 1, 2004
  8. Hi, Grandads Grandson here. Speed of Processor = 900MHz. Hope this helps.

    Michael Dodsworth

    Michael Dodsworth, May 1, 2004
  9. grandad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "grandad" <> wrote in message
    > Grandson has an emachine 130 with 20Gb hard drive.
    > Doe's anyone know how big a hard drive this machine can take or where to
    > find out.
    > Thanks.
    > Jim.

    Go for it...if you buy a drive that is too big for the system's BIOS, you
    can download the necessary disk manager from the manufacturers website.

    I've put a 60 gig drive into a computer with BIOS limitations of 30 gig.
    Since it was a Western Digital I was able to install WD's Data Lifeguard and
    use the drive partitioned as C: and D: dual boot W98/XP Home.
    Toolman Tim, May 1, 2004
  10. grandad

    Plato Guest

    Michael Dodsworth wrote:

    > Hi, Grandads Grandson here. Speed of Processor = 900MHz. Hope this helps.

    Then the chances are most excellent that it has no 32 gig drive limit
    which sort of was pretty much addressed after the 450 cpus were sold.
    Should be able to take up to a 130 gig. BTW, its not a cpu issue, but
    the "age/type" of the cpu lets you tell how updated the motherboard bios
    is, which is the key to seeing larger drives. Makes sense eh?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 2, 2004
  11. grandad

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Go for it...if you buy a drive that is too big for the system's BIOS, you
    > can download the necessary disk manager from the manufacturers website.

    NOT necessarily true. eg a PC with a 32 gig limit most often the bios
    will NOT even detect a larger drive. If the bios can NOT even detect it,
    then NO overlay system will work.

    Of course there are excpetions eg sometimes if you have a 32 gig limit
    using standard hard drive jumper settings there may be "special" jumper
    settings to use which will allow the bios to see it, tho then you'd be
    stuck with the disk manager, which is NOT recommended.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 2, 2004
  12. grandad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >
    > > Go for it...if you buy a drive that is too big for the system's BIOS,

    you
    > > can download the necessary disk manager from the manufacturers website.

    > NOT necessarily true. eg a PC with a 32 gig limit most often the bios
    > will NOT even detect a larger drive. If the bios can NOT even detect it,
    > then NO overlay system will work.
    >
    > Of course there are excpetions eg sometimes if you have a 32 gig limit
    > using standard hard drive jumper settings there may be "special" jumper
    > settings to use which will allow the bios to see it, tho then you'd be
    > stuck with the disk manager, which is NOT recommended.

    In my experience, that hasn't happened. The drive manager setup suggests a
    configuration to manually put in the CMOS settings that allow the BIOS to
    "see" a drive there, then the driver manager takes over from the boot
    sector.
    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  13. grandad

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > > Go for it...if you buy a drive that is too big for the system's BIOS,
    > > > you can download the necessary disk manager from the manufacturers website.

    > > NOT necessarily true. eg a PC with a 32 gig limit most often the bios
    > > will NOT even detect a larger drive. If the bios can NOT even detect it,
    > > then NO overlay system will work.
    > >
    > > Of course there are excpetions eg sometimes if you have a 32 gig limit
    > > using standard hard drive jumper settings there may be "special" jumper
    > > settings to use which will allow the bios to see it, tho then you'd be
    > > stuck with the disk manager, which is NOT recommended.

    > In my experience, that hasn't happened. The drive manager setup suggests a
    > configuration to manually put in the CMOS settings that allow the BIOS to
    > "see" a drive there, then the driver manager takes over from the boot
    > sector.

    Point 1. Will you still have to use a disk manager?

    Point 2. What if the mobo dies? Will the new mobo see the drive?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 3, 2004
  14. grandad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    BIOS,

    website.

    > > > NOT necessarily true. eg a PC with a 32 gig limit most often the bios
    > > > will NOT even detect a larger drive. If the bios can NOT even detect

    it,
    > > > then NO overlay system will work.
    > > >
    > > > Of course there are excpetions eg sometimes if you have a 32 gig limit
    > > > using standard hard drive jumper settings there may be "special"

    jumper
    > > > settings to use which will allow the bios to see it, tho then you'd be
    > > > stuck with the disk manager, which is NOT recommended.

    > > In my experience, that hasn't happened. The drive manager setup suggests

    > > configuration to manually put in the CMOS settings that allow the BIOS

    > > "see" a drive there, then the driver manager takes over from the boot
    > > sector.

    > Point 1. Will you still have to use a disk manager?
    >
    > Point 2. What if the mobo dies? Will the new mobo see the drive?

    yes and yes.

    The disk manager has altered the boot sector of the hard drive. It will
    effectively put in place "software" control of what used to be BIOS
    "firmware". When booting the computer, it usually adds a message to press a
    key or combination of keys to boot from the floppy disk - again, that's
    because it altered the boot sector of the hard drive, and requires loading
    the disk manager *before* the floppy disk boots, or you won't be able to
    access the hard drive.

    That disk manager software will still work in a new motherboard, as long as
    the drive info is set up in CMOS the same way as it was in the old
    motherboard. My suggestion then (if the new mobo handles the larger drive)
    would be to remove the disk manager software (removal is a function built in
    to the ones I've used), reset the CMOS to auto detect the drive, and it
    should be fine. *Should* be...because as we all know, life isn't perfect
    <g>. I've done this in the past with no problems.

    And for the record, disk managers are not the only programs which modify the
    boot sector. In working with drives with Roxio GoBack installed I
    encountered some problems due to the modified boot sector. I imagine other
    programs may do the same thing.
    Toolman Tim, May 4, 2004