    Everything else works
    I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
    Thanks
    hunty, May 27, 2007

  2. hunty

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a emachine laptop 2352
    > When I type the 5 key I get 5t
    > when I type the t key I get the 5t
    > When I type the 6 key I get 6y
    > When I type the y key I get 6y
    > I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
    > There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
    > Everything else works
    > I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
    > Thanks

    Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
    integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
    "interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for every
    key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the signals down
    to a manageble number, then they are further processed so that the signals
    can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The circuit in the PC then
    had to reverse the process so that the computer could understand what key
    has been pressed.

    Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
    replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the circuit
    is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips are
    extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and practically
    impossible to replace.

    If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
    blown motherboard and need to go shopping.
    WhzzKdd, May 27, 2007

  3. hunty

    meerkat Guest

    > "hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a emachine laptop 2352
    >> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
    >> when I type the t key I get the 5t
    >> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
    >> When I type the y key I get 6y
    >> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
    >> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
    >> Everything else works
    >> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
    > integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
    > "interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for
    > every key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the
    > signals down to a manageble number, then they are further processed so
    > that the signals can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The
    > circuit in the PC then had to reverse the process so that the computer
    > could understand what key has been pressed.
    >
    > Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
    > replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the
    > circuit is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips
    > are extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and
    > practically impossible to replace.
    >
    > If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
    > blown motherboard and need to go shopping.

    "There was some liquid spilled on the laptop".
    It`s a Laptop.
    meerkat, May 27, 2007
  4. hunty

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a emachine laptop 2352
    >>> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
    >>> when I type the t key I get the 5t
    >>> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
    >>> When I type the y key I get 6y
    >>> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
    >>> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
    >>> Everything else works
    >>> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
    >> integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
    >> "interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for
    >> every key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the
    >> signals down to a manageble number, then they are further processed so
    >> that the signals can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The
    >> circuit in the PC then had to reverse the process so that the computer
    >> could understand what key has been pressed.
    >>
    >> Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
    >> replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the
    >> circuit is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips
    >> are extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and
    >> practically impossible to replace.
    >>
    >> If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
    >> blown motherboard and need to go shopping.
    >>

    > "There was some liquid spilled on the laptop".
    > It`s a Laptop.

    Same thing - laptop keyboards are still matrixed and need processing to
    identify the actual key pressed. So the laptop probably needs a new
    motherboard. Just more expensive to fix <grin>

    Okay, so he can't try his keyboard out on a different PC. But he said he
    tried another keyboard on the laptop, and it did the same thing. Not a good
    sign.

    I wonder if an external USB keyboard would behave differently?
    WhzzKdd, May 27, 2007
  5. hunty

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:47:37 -0500, hunty wrote:

    > I have a emachine laptop 2352
    > When I type the 5 key I get 5t
    > when I type the t key I get the 5t
    > When I type the 6 key I get 6y
    > When I type the y key I get 6y
    > I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
    > There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
    > Everything else works
    > I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
    > Thanks

    Have you tried a USB keyboard you little stinker?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog