    taking the motherboard out. I hope to take it out the front.

    Thanks for your help!

    Shaun
    Shaun, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Shaun

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:eMachines T2200 Desktop Computer:1990942930?used=1)
    | which can enlarge by clicking on it.
    |
    | The floppy drive broke, and to slide it out into the case involves
    | taking the motherboard out. I hope to take it out the front.

    If you can't figure that out on your own, put your screwdriver away and take
    it to a shop.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Shaun

    Guest

    On 22 Jan 2005 11:53:48 -0800, (Shaun) wrote:

    |> I would like to know how to remove the front plastic cover off a newer
    |> eMachine (~T2200 or newer). Here is a picture
    |> (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:eMachines T2200 Desktop Computer:1990942930?used=1)
    |> which can enlarge by clicking on it.
    |>
    |> The floppy drive broke, and to slide it out into the case involves
    |> taking the motherboard out. I hope to take it out the front.

    Looks like the rest, take the cover off, then on the back side of the
    front there should be 6 to 8 small screws attaching it to the frame. If
    you run into wire connections just remember where they go.

    What the Toolman says has a lot of truth. I sense your next problem will
    be why the floppy light stays on all the time.

    --
    , Jan 22, 2005
  4. Shaun

    SgtMinor Guest

    Shaun wrote:

    > I would like to know how to remove the front plastic cover off a newer
    > eMachine (~T2200 or newer). Here is a picture
    > (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:eMachines T2200 Desktop Computer:1990942930?used=1)
    > which can enlarge by clicking on it.
    >
    > The floppy drive broke, and to slide it out into the case involves
    > taking the motherboard out. I hope to take it out the front.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Shaun

    The front cover is probably held on with tabs at the side. Wiggle it a
    bit and you should see them. Push the cover sideways to the left and
    the right side should pop free.

    Unless this eMachine is even more FU'd than usual, you will not have to
    remove the mobo. The floppy will be fastened with 4 screws, 2 per side.
    SgtMinor, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Shaun

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | On 22 Jan 2005 11:53:48 -0800, (Shaun) wrote:
    |
    ||> I would like to know how to remove the front plastic cover off a newer
    ||> eMachine (~T2200 or newer). Here is a picture

    (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:eMachines T2200 Desktop Computer:1990942930?used=1)
    ||> which can enlarge by clicking on it.
    ||>
    ||> The floppy drive broke, and to slide it out into the case involves
    ||> taking the motherboard out. I hope to take it out the front.
    ||>

    | Looks like the rest, take the cover off, then on the back side of the
    | front there should be 6 to 8 small screws attaching it to the frame. If
    | you run into wire connections just remember where they go.
    |
    | What the Toolman says has a lot of truth. I sense your next problem will
    | be why the floppy light stays on all the time.

    Yeah - sometimes I lean toward the sarcastic...but when I read that, the
    first thing that came to mind was an old cartoon on the wall at work...a
    classroom full of dunce-capped students, teacher with a bit screwdriver
    drawn on the chalkboard...caption reads "School for the mechanically
    declined". Farside, I think, or some similar work...
    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Shaun

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Not Necessarily. My IBM Aptiva had the floppy built right onto/into the
    front of the case, and could not be removed. When I had several crashes, I
    took the tower into the shop, and they said that IBM only put a 200 watt
    power supply into the machine, snd I needed at least 300 for all of the
    hardware I added at time of purchase. The new PS would not fit into the
    tiny case, so I ordered a new case. Then I had to pay $15.00 for a floppy
    because the IBM one couldn't be moved; it was part of the case.
    That was the 'puter I bought back in 1998, so perhaps things have changed
    with some brand-name computers.

    PuppyKatt, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Shaun

    doS Guest

    The emachine floppy isnt built into the case.

    doS, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Shaun

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:52:09 -0600, "PuppyKatt"
    <> wrote:

    >Not Necessarily. My IBM Aptiva had the floppy built right onto/into the
    >front of the case, and could not be removed. When I had several crashes, I
    >took the tower into the shop, and they said that IBM only put a 200 watt
    >power supply into the machine, snd I needed at least 300 for all of the
    >hardware I added at time of purchase. The new PS would not fit into the
    >tiny case, so I ordered a new case. Then I had to pay $15.00 for a floppy
    >because the IBM one couldn't be moved; it was part of the case.
    >That was the 'puter I bought back in 1998, so perhaps things have changed
    >with some brand-name computers.

    That's not entirely true.
    The Aptiva floppy might've not had it's own (front) plastic
    bezel, but it was certainly not built into the case any
    moreso that any other drive is. The lack of bezel would
    indeed make moving it, (cosmetically) difficult, but this is
    not unusual, many HP, Compaq, Gateway cases also had
    floppies without a separate bezel.

    As this relates to the OP's situation, even when the
    original drive doesn't have a bezel, a replacement can
    simply have it's bezel removed unless the dust flap (door)
    was mounted to the floppy frame instead of the case bezel.
    When that's the situation one must source a drive meant for
    OEM cases that has the flap, possibly having to paint it, or
    often one can simply buy the same make of drive and swap the
    top cover plate which holds that flap.... or there are other
    more creative solutions taken case by case.
    kony, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Shaun

    SgtMinor Guest

    I bought one too, back in '98, (an Aptiva, I mean, 2137-E85 to be exact)
    and it was the worst piece of computer crap I ever owned. During the
    twelve or so months of bitching and moaning that elapsed between my
    purchase of that thing and the day I got my money back thanks to a
    judgment against IBM in small claims court I lived through a surreal
    experience.

    I don't remember how the floppy was built in - I remember stuff in
    swing-out or removable cages - but there must be a solution other than
    buying a new case, and remove the mobo, because the floppy failed.

    With eMachines focused on low-cost assembly I was guessing they use as
    many "snap-together" parts as possible.

    In my own case, the floppy is screwed in, but the hard drives are
    fastened in a more secure manner:
    http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_desktop6.php

    SgtMinor, Jan 23, 2005