Ellion DVR 900 A DVD+R recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Damo, May 2, 2004.

  1. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Hi chaps,

    Anyone had experience of the above DVD recorder. I got one yesterday and I'm
    having a few "issues" with it!

    Firstly the tuner seems to be a mono one (albeit multistandard) and to make
    matters worse the internal mechanics of the recorder seems to affect its own
    tuner picture quite badly (lots of herringbone patterning).

    It has a scart input but that has now mysteriously dissapeared from the
    source lists!

    I reconnected today and looped the scart out to the VCR input on my Pace
    Twin and whenever I switch on/off the unit it causes my Pace to power up,
    display INIT, then switch off. I've disconnected the scart now and I am
    using the s-video out of the Ellion.

    Apart from all that ;-> the unit is quite good. Picture quality is very good
    on all modes and the unit seems to be built quite well (well it looks
    expensive!!!).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Damo

    Damo, May 2, 2004

  2. Damo

    Philip Guest

    "Damo" <damian-arstall@NO NO NOOOOOOOOclara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi chaps,
    >
    > Anyone had experience of the above DVD recorder. I got one yesterday and

    I'm
    > having a few "issues" with it!
    >
    > Firstly the tuner seems to be a mono one (albeit multistandard) and to

    make
    > matters worse the internal mechanics of the recorder seems to affect its

    own
    > tuner picture quite badly (lots of herringbone patterning).
    >
    > It has a scart input but that has now mysteriously dissapeared from the
    > source lists!
    >
    > I reconnected today and looped the scart out to the VCR input on my Pace
    > Twin and whenever I switch on/off the unit it causes my Pace to power up,
    > display INIT, then switch off. I've disconnected the scart now and I am
    > using the s-video out of the Ellion.
    >
    > Apart from all that ;-> the unit is quite good. Picture quality is very

    good
    > on all modes and the unit seems to be built quite well (well it looks
    > expensive!!!).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Damo

    Hi

    Sounds like a Taiwanese/Chinese clone. It isn't built well if it causes
    interference with itself surely?

    As for mono sound, a few of these clones based on the same internal design
    have had mono sound as a design fault.

    I would take it back for a refund, and my advice is next time buy one from a
    company you have heard of :)

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, May 2, 2004

  3. Damo

    ViNNY Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message

    > "Damo" <damian-arstall@NO NO NOOOOOOOOclara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi chaps,
    > >
    > > Anyone had experience of the above DVD recorder. I got one yesterday and

    > I'm
    > > having a few "issues" with it!
    > >
    > > Firstly the tuner seems to be a mono one (albeit multistandard) and to

    > make
    > > matters worse the internal mechanics of the recorder seems to affect its

    > own
    > > tuner picture quite badly (lots of herringbone patterning).
    > >
    > > It has a scart input but that has now mysteriously dissapeared from the
    > > source lists!
    > >
    > > I reconnected today and looped the scart out to the VCR input on my Pace
    > > Twin and whenever I switch on/off the unit it causes my Pace to power

    up,
    > > display INIT, then switch off. I've disconnected the scart now and I am
    > > using the s-video out of the Ellion.
    > >
    > > Apart from all that ;-> the unit is quite good. Picture quality is very

    > good
    > > on all modes and the unit seems to be built quite well (well it looks
    > > expensive!!!).
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Damo
    > >

    > Hi
    >

    > Sounds like a Taiwanese/Chinese clone. It isn't built well if it causes
    > interference with itself surely?
    >

    > As for mono sound, a few of these clones based on the same internal design
    > have had mono sound as a design fault.

    It'll be a lack of a NICAM decoder - saves them a quid or two I guess.

    > I would take it back for a refund, and my advice is next time buy one from

    > company you have heard of :)

    Can't argue with that :)

    -Vin

    ViNNY, May 2, 2004
  4. Damo

    bam Bino Guest

    It sounds like a "Taiwanese/Chinese clone"?
    A bit racist are we?

    bam Bino, May 3, 2004
  5. Damo

    Philip Guest

    "bam Bino" <> wrote in message
    > It sounds like a "Taiwanese/Chinese clone"?
    > A bit racist are we?

    Hardly, "clone" relates to the fact that there are around 150+ different
    brands of +RW recorder leaving China/Taiwan for other markets, these are all
    based on the same few standard designs internally, put together in the same
    few factories for as cheap as possible, then thrown into a plastic case
    moulded to make it look different, or in some cases the same as all the
    rest! You think you have a wide choice of these recorders but essentially,
    try one and you have tried them all.

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, May 3, 2004
  6. Damo

    Axel VK Guest

    "bam Bino" <> wrote in message
    > It sounds like a "Taiwanese/Chinese clone"?
    > A bit racist are we?

    There is nothing racists about that statement. Are you one of those who are
    trying to read racism in to everything you see and read?

    Axel VK, May 3, 2004
  7. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Er......before this post gets a bit too off topic. I have emailed Ellion who
    have updated there site with some new firmware. Then the chap I emailed
    phoned me 3 times from Taiwan (I think) to try and sort my tuner problem
    out.

    Its still dodgy but it was good to see them take customer service very
    seriously.

    They do not fit a Nicam decoder to the recorder. They don't really no why
    anyone would want it!

    Hmmm......anyway the recordings I've made from my Twin are very very good
    for the money but I guess it'll have to go back.

    Damo

    Damo, May 3, 2004
  8. Damo

    bam Bino Guest

    No. Definitely not.
    Are you one of those guys that reads "everything you see and read" into
    anything you see and read?

    bam Bino, May 3, 2004
  9. Damo

    Martin Nike Guest

    Sounds like a piece of crap.

    Martin Nike, May 4, 2004
  10. Damo

    Alan Pollock Guest

    In alt.video.dvdr bam Bino <> wrote:
    > It sounds like a "Taiwanese/Chinese clone"?
    > A bit racist are we?

    It's the racist who sees racism everywhere. Nex

    Alan Pollock, May 4, 2004
  11. Damo

    Axel VK Guest

    "bam Bino" <> wrote in message
    > No. Definitely not.
    > Are you one of those guys that reads "everything you see and read" into
    > anything you see and read?

    I see what I read in black and white. And you said:

    "A bit racist are we?" in response to "Taiwanese/Chinese clone".

    How could you possibly construe that to be racist? Only someone who is
    politically correct and is actively looking for an excuse to find racism
    would do that.

    Axel VK, May 4, 2004
  12. Damo

    imaginuity Guest

    "there's a double meaning in that" (muchadoaboutnothing)

    imaginuity, May 5, 2004