    on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
    , Jul 16, 2005

  2. WormWood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    > an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    > fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    > the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    > with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    > and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    > on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    > WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

    In Windows Explorer, find in C root directory, (or whatever drive letter
    you're booting from), find a file APPLOG if it exists, rename it
    APPLOG1. Not guaranteed to fix your infinite reboot problem but has a
    good track record so far. Please post back with results. Thanks

    -WW
    WormWood, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:09:18 -0400, "WormWood"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    >> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    >> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    >> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    >> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    >> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    >> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    >> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >In Windows Explorer, find in C root directory, (or whatever drive letter
    >you're booting from), find a file APPLOG if it exists, rename it
    >APPLOG1. Not guaranteed to fix your infinite reboot problem but has a
    >good track record so far. Please post back with results. Thanks
    >
    >-WW

    Thanks for the try, but no luck. When I try to load in safe mode, it
    stops at loading xmasbus.sys. At that point it reboots.
    , Jul 16, 2005
  4. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    > an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    > fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    > the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    > with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    > and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    > on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    > WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

    go to this site and have a read.
    http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:24:45 GMT, "old jon"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    >> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    >> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    >> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    >> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    >> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    >> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    >> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >go to this site and have a read.
    >http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
    >best wishes..OJ

    Thanks again, but no luck. I deleted the files because Alcohol
    wouldn't uninstall. Same problem, except now there is no mention of
    xmasbus. Loaded Win XP Pro on an old HDD on my old computer; works
    fine on that one but I still get exactly the same response: endless
    rebooting. I am using Win98se on the new computer as I write this
    note. Can't figure this one out.
    , Jul 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    >> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    >> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    >> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    >> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    >> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    >> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    >> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >go to this site and have a read.
    >http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
    >best wishes..OJ

    Still no luck. I deleted those files because Alcohol would not
    uninstall. Same problem without mention of xmasbus. I loaded Win XP
    Pro on an old 10Gb HDD (Fat32) on my old computer and it works fine.
    Moved it to this computer and exactly the same problem: continuous
    rebooting just as Windows starts. I am writing this letter on the new
    computer using Win98se, which still works fine. Can't figure this one
    out.
    , Jul 16, 2005
  7. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    > an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    > fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    > the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    > with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    > and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    > on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    > WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

    a) Do a repair install of XP on the HD with the new motherboard.

    b) Before you pull it from the old computer, disable "Automatically
    Reboot" (Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced -->
    Startup and Recovery --> Uncheck "Automatically Reboot" --> Apply --> OK -->
    Reboot) so you can see the error.

    c) Or best of all - Reset the IDE adapter to "Standard PCI Host
    Adapter" before you pull it off the old computer.

    If the new motherboard doesn't have the same disk controller, you'll
    get this, since as soon as XP switches to 32bit drivers, it can't find the
    HD - no drivers loaded for the disk controller! A) fixes it by installing
    the proper ones. B) at least lets you know what the problem is, and C)
    works around it, but the resulting install won't be as stable as if you do a
    new install on a new drive with the new board.

    "But Win98 works!" Yah. Win98 has "MSDOS Compatibility Mode" and
    can load using 16bit drivers. XP doesn't.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 16, 2005
  8. Joel Rubin Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:59:36 GMT, wrote:

    >I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
    >an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
    >fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
    >the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
    >with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
    >and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
    >on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
    >WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Have you tried going into the BIOS setup and loading the safe
    settings?
    Joel Rubin, Jul 16, 2005
  9. J-McC Guest

    Hi, you may have to ensure that you have loaded the correct drivers to
    suit the motherboard. Eg if your old computer had VIA chip set and
    the new one has a different type eg SIS or INTEL. The only solution
    MAY be to do a fresh install of XP pro & SP2 on the p/c with the newly
    purchased motherboard. If You are able to get the pc to start in safe
    mode you may be able to load the cd that came with your new
    motherboard and then you will be smiling etc.
    please post your results.
    J McC

    J-McC, Jul 16, 2005
  10. J-McC Guest

    I did a quick search for "Elitegroup PM800-M2" and found these specs
    for you. I was impressed that it was priced as low as $us37.00
    It has VIA VT8237 southbridge chip and On Board Graphic Processor S3
    Graphics UniChrome Pro.

    As I said in my earlier post I am sure that your old p/c probably has
    a different chip set and XP will have incorrect driver modules
    installed.
    JIM

    Key Features
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Compatibility PC
    Compatible Processors Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium 4
    Front Side Bus Speed 800 MHz
    Convenience Features
    Storage Controller Type(s) Serial ATA x 2, DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) x 2
    South Bridge Chip VIA VT8237
    Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 8 • Serial Port x 1 • RJ45 Lan
    Port x 1 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • Parallel Port
    (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 • Floppy Port x 1
    Expansion Slots AGP x8 x 1 • PCI x 3 • CNR x 1
    RAID Support RAID 0 • RAID 1
    Processor
    Socket Type Socket 478
    Max supported CPUs qty 1
    Memory
    Max Supported RAM 2 GB
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Number of Memory Slots 2 x 184 Pin DIMMs
    Supported RAM speeds 400 MHz • 333 MHz • 266 MHz
    Audio / Video
    Video Interface AGP 8x
    On Board Graphic Processor S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro
    Installed Video Memory 64 MB
    Integrated Graphic Card Integrated Graphic Card
    Audio Output SPDIF Out • 5.1 Channels • Line Out
    Integrated Audio Realtek ALC655
    Audio Input Microphone Jack • 1 x Line In
    Video Out Ports 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port x 1
    Communication
    Networking Type Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
    Other Features
    Chassis Type Desktop
    Package Qty 1
    Hyper Thread Technology Ready
    Fans 2 x 3-pin fan headers
    Dimensions
    Depth 9.6 in.
    Width 9.6 in.
    Warranty
    1 Year
    Miscellaneous
    Bios Type 4 Mbit Flash EEPROM with AwardBIOS
    MPN pm800m2
    Product ID 22525980
    Bios Features Plug And Play BIOS • APM 1.2 • ACPI 1.0 • DMI
    Power Configurations Wake On Ring Header • Wake On LAN Header •
    Suspend to RAM
    Regulatory Approval FCC Class B

    J-McC, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Guest

    Thanks guys! A clean install of Win XP Pro works just fine. 16 & 32
    bit, don't know why I didn't think of it. I'm new at this, started
    with my mother's old 486 2 years ago. You have all helped me a lot.
    Thank you all very much!
    , Jul 17, 2005