    wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom of
    the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup messages
    completely so you don't see them anymore?
    Matt, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Matt

    SG Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    > wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom of
    > the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup messages
    > completely so you don't see them anymore?

    Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy
    SG, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Matt

    Frank Guest

    SG wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    >> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
    >> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
    >> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

    > Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
    or are nut cases?
    Frank
    Frank, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Frank wrote:
    > SG wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    >>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
    >>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
    >>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

    >> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    > Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
    > or are nut cases?
    > Frank

    no!

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Matt

    Doug G Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > SG wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    >>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
    >>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
    >>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

    >> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    > Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post spam
    > or are nut cases?
    > Frank

    Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
    trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
    and others like him.

    Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is created.
    Doug G, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Matt

    Frank Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> SG wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    >> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post
    >> spam or are nut cases?
    >> Frank

    > Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
    > trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
    > and others like him.
    >
    > Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
    > created.

    Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
    Frank
    Frank, Aug 11, 2007
  7. Matt

    Doug G Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:
    >>> Nice to know. Is there also a way to block those authors that post
    >>> spam or are nut cases?
    >>> Frank

    >> Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
    >> trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5 guy
    >> and others like him.
    >>
    >> Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
    >> created.

    > Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
    > Frank

    Try it and enable the filter log to see what it catches.
    Doug G, Aug 12, 2007
  8. Matt

    Frank Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Doug G wrote:
    >>> Message Filters can be used to "mark as read" headers from nuts and
    >>> trolls. I created a message filter on the news server for the MI5
    >>> guy and others like him.
    >>>
    >>> Message Filters will work on headers downloaded after the filter is
    >>> created.

    >> Is it as simple as creating filter from message and just OK'ing?
    >> Frank

    > Try it and enable the filter log to see what it catches.

    Thanks. Tried it an it does not appear to work. Probably not worth
    trying to invest a lot of time in. Used to do with old OE ng reader and
    spammers would sneak in same junk under different name anyway.
    Frank
    Frank, Aug 12, 2007
  9. Matt

    Nick D. Guest

    SG wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    >> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
    >> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
    >> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

    > Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
    from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
    some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None of
    the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started using
    Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let you delete
    messages and threads individually and I find that very useful. Is there
    some reason, other than no one thought to include it, that this feature
    isn't in Thunderbird?
    Nick D., Oct 15, 2007
  10. Nick D. wrote:
    > SG wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> In the particular ng I frequent, there is a guy who has the date set
    >>> wrong on his computer, so his messages are always shown at the bottom
    >>> of the mailbox. It's bugging me. How does one DELETE newsgroup
    >>> messages completely so you don't see them anymore?

    >> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    > That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
    > from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
    > some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None of
    > the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started using
    > Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let you delete
    > messages and threads individually and I find that very useful. Is there
    > some reason, other than no one thought to include it, that this feature
    > isn't in Thunderbird?

    you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they
    don't belong to you. They are on the server. The only way
    to delete them is if you download for offline useage, then
    they reside on your hard drive.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 15, 2007
  11. Matt

    Nick D. Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Nick D. wrote:
    >> SG wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Alt/Edit/Newsgroup Properties/Retention Policy

    >> That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
    >> from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
    >> some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None
    >> of the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started
    >> using Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let
    >> you delete messages and threads individually and I find that very
    >> useful. Is there some reason, other than no one thought to include
    >> it, that this feature isn't in Thunderbird?

    > you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they don't belong
    > to you. They are on the server. The only way to delete them is if you
    > download for offline useage, then they reside on your hard drive.

    I don't want to delete the message, I just want to delete the header. I
    don't know how OE did it, but after headers were downloaded you could
    select a header or all the headers in a collapsed thread and delete
    them. AFAIK, this did not delete the actual messages, only the headers
    on my computer, so I never had to see them again. That's what I'd like
    to see here. I don't want to delete "all but the last xx messages" or
    all messages "older than xx days", or all read messages, but these are
    the only options I have in retention policy.
    Nick D., Oct 15, 2007
  12. Nick D. wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Nick D. wrote:
    >>> That still doesn't allow you to delete a specific message or messages
    >>> from the list of headers. Some threads/messages you want to retain,
    >>> some you just want to get rid of as soon as you see the header. None
    >>> of the retention policy choices allow you to do this. I just started
    >>> using Thunderbird because I'm having problems with OE, but OE let
    >>> you delete messages and threads individually and I find that very
    >>> useful. Is there some reason, other than no one thought to include
    >>> it, that this feature isn't in Thunderbird?

    >> you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup server, as they don't belong
    >> to you. They are on the server. The only way to delete them is if you
    >> download for offline useage, then they reside on your hard drive.
    >>

    > I don't want to delete the message, I just want to delete the header. I
    > don't know how OE did it, but after headers were downloaded you could
    > select a header or all the headers in a collapsed thread and delete
    > them. AFAIK, this did not delete the actual messages, only the headers
    > on my computer, so I never had to see them again. That's what I'd like
    > to see here. I don't want to delete "all but the last xx messages" or
    > all messages "older than xx days", or all read messages, but these are
    > the only options I have in retention policy.

    OE basically does the same as TB, you can't delete someone
    elses messages, but you can remove them from your view. TB
    doesn't do that.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 15, 2007