    I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no data on
    it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can delete that
    and make whole hard drive? thanks

    pacca, Jul 5, 2009

  2. pacca

    Mike Easter Guest

    pacca wrote:
    > I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no
    > data on it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can
    > delete that and make whole hard drive? thanks

    What kind of partition editors do you have/use?

    GParted? Hiren's boot CD?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2009

  3. pacca

    G. Morgan Guest

    pacca wrote:

    >I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no data on
    >it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can delete that
    >and make whole hard drive? thanks

    Start -> type "dskmgmt.msc"

    When console opens right click the empty part. and select "delete volume"
    Now, you can "expand" the bigger drive to the empty space (rt. click c: and
    "expand")

    I would just reformat the partition and use it for documents and data though.
    It's always handy to have a extra partition or more.

    G. Morgan, Jul 5, 2009
  4. pacca

    VanguardLH Guest

    pacca wrote:

    > I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no data on
    > it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can delete that
    > and make whole hard drive? thanks

    Since it is a Dell, you sure that isn't a hidden (unallocated) partition
    which contains the recovery software and restoration image? Did you
    follow their instructions to create the recovery CDs? Or did you get a
    separate retail copy of Windows so you can reinstall or repair it later?

    VanguardLH, Jul 5, 2009
  5. pacca

    G. Morgan Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    >Since it is a Dell, you sure that isn't a hidden (unallocated) partition
    >which contains the recovery software and restoration image?

    It is, he said it was.

    > Did you
    >follow their instructions to create the recovery CDs? Or did you get a
    >separate retail copy of Windows so you can reinstall or repair it later?

    He just said he installed Vista x64, one would assume he has the media.

    G. Morgan, Jul 5, 2009
  6. pacca

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:06:22 -0500, "pacca" <> wrote:

    >I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no data on
    >it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can delete that
    >and make whole hard drive? thanks

    What makes you think there is no data on it?
    Both of my machines have vista and show a 15gig drive that is the
    recovery disk.

    Try accessing it through a dos prompt to be sure.

    richard, Jul 5, 2009
  7. pacca

    pacca Guest

    because it shows unallocated,I did a clean install of vista 64 bit,Dell
    supplies both 32 -64 bit media,when you do a clean install you erase
    everything on the HD.

    pacca, Jul 6, 2009
  8. pacca

    chuckcar Guest

    "pacca" <> wrote in
    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:06:22 -0500, "pacca" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I went from vista32 to vista 64bit now I have 15gb partition with no
    >>>data on
    >>>it ( I imagine it was from dell recovery),is the any way I can delete
    >>>that and make whole hard drive? thanks
    >>>

    >> What makes you think there is no data on it?
    >> Both of my machines have vista and show a 15gig drive that is the
    >> recovery disk.
    >>
    >> Try accessing it through a dos prompt to be sure.
    >>

    > because it shows unallocated,I did a clean install of vista 64 bit,Dell
    > supplies both 32 -64 bit media,when you do a clean install you erase
    > everything on the HD.

    You mean it shows as unused as far as *you* can tell. But what does Dell
    tech support say? You don't know. It's only 15GB don't worry about it.
    15GB is nothing these days and if it *does* contain thing necessary for
    your dell computer (virtually certain as consumer desktops have been doing
    just that for decades), you will have to erase anything and get back just
    that partition to fix it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 6, 2009
  9. pacca

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 00:18:03 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You mean it shows as unused as far as *you* can tell.

    Yes chucktard. No one is as smart as you.

    Idiot.

    Evan Platt, Jul 6, 2009
  10. pacca

    VanguardLH Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >> Since it is a Dell, you sure that isn't a hidden (unallocated)
    >> partition which contains the recovery software and restoration
    >> image?

    > It is, he said it was.

    It was to reinforce of what might be there. Might be rather stupid (as
    in burning bridges) to eradicate the partition if it is needed later in
    case of having to reinstall the original image so an *upgrade* version
    can be installed over it. That the OP couldn't see "data" there
    doesn't mean there isn't any.

    >> Did you follow their instructions to create the recovery CDs? Or did
    >> you get a separate retail copy of Windows so you can reinstall or
    >> repair it later?

    > He just said he installed Vista x64, one would assume he has the
    > media.

    And if it were an *upgrade* version of Vista? Just how is the OP to
    reinstall the upgrade at a later time if the qualifying version is
    missing? When, not if, the OP has to reinstall the OS, what's he going
    to do after the original version is gone but he needs it?

    Also, "went from A to B" doesn't say HOW that was done or even defines
    what is A and B. His statements are vague. Telling him to just delete
    the partition and enlarge the other one seems irresponsible without more
    details about his prior and current setup. Going forward sounds great
    until you need those burnt bridges to get back there again.

    VanguardLH, Jul 6, 2009
  11. pacca

    G. Morgan Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    >And if it were an *upgrade* version of Vista? Just how is the OP to
    >reinstall the upgrade at a later time if the qualifying version is
    >missing? When, not if, the OP has to reinstall the OS, what's he going
    >to do after the original version is gone but he needs it?
    >
    >Also, "went from A to B" doesn't say HOW that was done or even defines
    >what is A and B. His statements are vague. Telling him to just delete
    >the partition and enlarge the other one seems irresponsible without more
    >details about his prior and current setup. Going forward sounds great
    >until you need those burnt bridges to get back there again.

    There are ways around that...
    <official way>
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
    Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a
    32-bit version of Windows Vista

    If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD,
    you must use one of the following methods:
    Method 1: Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
    Method 2:
    1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
    2. Install Windows XP.
    3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation
    method that is listed earlier in this article.

    I couldn't imagine someone only purchasing a upgrade license from 32b to 64b
    Vista, especially since they cost the same. But we don't know, and I don't
    care. :)

    G. Morgan, Jul 6, 2009