    Dave Guest

    Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a DVD+RW
    and the overwrite it next time you do a back up
    Dave, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Dave wrote:
    > Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a
    > DVD+RW and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

    I believe you need to manually delete the old file and maybe reformat
    before saving the new one.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Dave

    Arthur Small Guest

    Select the file containing the photos to burn on the DVD. Next time erase
    the DVD RW and repeat the process.

    www.alldigital.fotopic.net
    Arthur Small, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Dave

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:53:43 -0000, Dave wrote:

    > Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a
    > DVD+RW and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

    I only do similar backups to CD R/W disks, but I imagine that DVD
    acts similarly. Unless the disk is reformatted, if you simply
    delete the old backup before adding a new backup set to the disk,
    nothing is really deleted. The old backup occupies space on the
    disk but the new directory information makes it seem as if it's not
    there. If I was making a backup of the Elements software to a
    folder named "Elements", I'd simply rename the folder to
    "Elements_1" and make the latest backup to a new "Elements" folder.
    After another backup, the disk would contain an "Elements_1",
    "Elements_2" and an "Elements" folder. This is just as quick, and
    although you may never use the older backups, they'd easily
    accessible if you ever had a need for them. BTW, you didn't make it
    clear whether you're backup was for the Elements software, or an
    installed copy on the hard drive containing all of your photos. If
    it's mainly the photos you want to preserve, good backup software
    can do it much more efficiently, using full backups followed by
    incremental or differential backups. This probably wouldn't be
    worth the effort unless your photos occupy a lot of disk space.
    ASAAR, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Sorry, I have Version 4 of elements and the part I was backing up was the
    organisor files. Everytime I go into the organisor (album) it reminds me to
    save. It appears to finalise the disc, when I back up using a DVD+RW because
    when I next go to back up it wont except the disc because its been
    finalised. I would imaging I need to stop it doing that somehow. I could
    back up my photo's in the folders I suppose but then if ever I had to reload
    them all I would have to sort them all over again. Maybe the solution is to
    use something other than Elements to organise my photo's.

    Any help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 photo's in the folders.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Dave wrote:
    > Sorry, I have Version 4 of elements and the part I was backing up was
    > the organisor files. Everytime I go into the organisor (album) it
    > reminds me to save. It appears to finalise the disc, when I back up
    > using a DVD+RW because when I next go to back up it wont except the
    > disc because its been finalised. I would imaging I need to stop it
    > doing that somehow. I could back up my photo's in the folders I
    > suppose but then if ever I had to reload them all I would have to
    > sort them all over again. Maybe the solution is to use something
    > other than Elements to organise my photo's.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 photo's in the
    > folders.

    I really have to worry about the sanity of anyone who keeps 6,000 photos
    and is not a professional. :)

    I suggest you add a second hard drive and back up to that. I kept my
    old computer and it set up a LAN and that works to provide a target for all
    my backups.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
    up.
    Why do you worry about people who have so many photos, 6000 is not a lot
    really
    I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
    like to lose them.
    The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
    really, except losing them

    but worry if you must

    Dave, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Dave

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:51:47 -0000, "Dave"
    <> wrote:

    >I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
    >up.

    Hold that thought...
    >Why do you worry about people who have so many photos, 6000 is not a lot
    >really
    >I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
    >like to lose them.
    >The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
    >really, except losing them

    Well, that's the worry, isn't it?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Dave

    clw Guest

    In article <43848dce$>,
    "Dave" <> wrote:

    > I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
    > up.
    > I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
    > like to lose them.
    > The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
    > really, except losing them

    first, the originals of the slides and photos you scanned are one
    back-up. But, there is also the work involved in the scannning that one
    does not want to repeat.

    Second, keep the photos on both your external and computer HD's. That
    way you have them in two places.

    Three, if you have the photos organized you can burn DVD's of the
    different files (albums) you are keeping them in and have a fourth
    back-up.
    --
    Panta rei
    clw, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Dave wrote:
    >I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back
    > them up.

    Then back them up to the first drive. You are very unlikely to loose
    both drives at the same time.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit