    digital cameras have EVFs?
    That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.
    irwell, Jan 16, 2006

  2. irwell wrote on Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800:

    i> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    i> digital cameras have EVFs?
    i> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    i> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

    I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know what is
    the resolution of the monitor but many small digital cameras
    have no optical viewfinder at all and simply use the screen. I
    know a number of people who seldom use the optical finder even
    when they have one. That certainly helps with parallax problems.

    James Silverton.
    James Silverton, Jan 16, 2006

  3. irwell

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> writes:
    > i> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    > i> digital cameras have EVFs?
    > i> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    > i> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know what is the
    > resolution of the monitor but many small digital cameras have no
    > optical viewfinder at all and simply use the screen.

    EVF means an eye level finder with a small lcd screen inside. They
    are usually found on cameras with long zoom ranges since it's hard to
    keep optical finders aligned at such narrow angles. They give you
    the through-the-lens aspect of SLR viewing.

    Some of these cameras (e.g. Canon S2IS) are fairly compact, though not
    pocket sized. In smaller cameras a normal optical finder generally
    seems preferable except for lack of framing accuracy.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 16, 2006
  4. irwell

    Jack Dale Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800, irwell <> wrote:

    >Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    >digital cameras have EVFs?
    >That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    >screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

    A search on dpreview.com revealed:

    Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    Nikon Coolpix 4800
    HP Photosmart 850
    Canon PowerShot S2 IS
    Olympus C-720 UZ
    HP Photosmart 945
    Nikon Coolpix 8400
    Leica Digilux 2
    Kyocera Finecam M410R
    Kyocera Finecam M400R

    That is only the first 10. You will need to read the reviews to
    determine what info is in the EVF.

    Jack
    Jack Dale, Jan 16, 2006

    writes:
    i>>> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    i>>> digital cameras have EVFs?
    i>>> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    i>>> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.
    ??>>
    ??>> I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know
    ??>> what is the resolution of the monitor but many small
    ??>> digital cameras have no optical viewfinder at all and
    ??>> simply use the screen.

    PR> EVF means an eye level finder with a small lcd screen
    PR> inside. They are usually found on cameras with long zoom
    PR> ranges since it's hard to keep optical finders aligned at
    PR> such narrow angles. They give you the through-the-lens
    PR> aspect of SLR viewing.

    As I said, I was not sure what was being referred to since I
    agree that no EVF, in the sense you are using, can really be
    called a "pocket camera".
    James Silverton.
    James Silverton, Jan 16, 2006
  6. irwell

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:13:26 GMT, Jack Dale <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800, irwell <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    >>digital cameras have EVFs?
    >>That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    >>screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

    >A search on dpreview.com revealed:
    >
    > Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    >Nikon Coolpix 4800
    >HP Photosmart 850
    >Canon PowerShot S2 IS
    >Olympus C-720 UZ
    >HP Photosmart 945
    >Nikon Coolpix 8400
    >Leica Digilux 2
    >Kyocera Finecam M410R
    >Kyocera Finecam M400R
    >
    >That is only the first 10. You will need to read the reviews to
    >determine what info is in the EVF.
    >
    >Jack

    Thank you Jack. I have the Panasonic FZ15 and find the EVF
    very useful, but the camera is not pocketsized, hence the question.
    Will check out the ones you suggest.
    irwell, Jan 17, 2006
  7. irwell

    Mark B. Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    > digital cameras have EVFs?
    > That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    > screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

    I don't believe there is anything you could call pocket sized with an EVF.
    EVF it seems is typically reserved for the mega-zoom cams. Pocket cams have
    either no optical finder or a poor one. They seem to be getting larger LCDs
    instead.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 17, 2006
  8. irwell

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    irwell <> wrote:

    > Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
    > digital cameras have EVFs?
    > That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
    > screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

    I don't think you'll find a truly pocket-sized cam with EVF, but check
    out the Fuji S7000.
    Stewy, Jan 18, 2006
  9. irwell

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:55:15 +0900, Stewy wrote:

    > I don't think you'll find a truly pocket-sized cam with EVF, but check
    > out the Fuji S7000.

    The Fuji S5100/5500 & S5200/S5600 are smaller. Slightly smaller
    than these (IIRC) is the similar Kyocera Finecam M410R which has a
    much higher resolution EVF.
    ASAAR, Jan 18, 2006