    several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
    are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
    the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

    Barry, May 25, 2007

  2. Barry

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:45:46 -0500, Barry wrote:

    newsgroups,

    sci.electronics
    sci.electronics.basic
    sci.electronics.basics
    sci.electronics.cad
    sci.electronics.components.* (1)
    sci.electronics.design
    sci.electronics.equipment.* (1)
    sci.electronics.misc.* (1)
    sci.electronics.repair.* (1)

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33580724&expand=1

    >Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
    >there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
    >several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
    >are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
    >the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

    Wrong question, there is no best about it the temperature ratings are
    different.

    You also don't say if that the max operating temp or the life load
    rating temp.

    Once you figure out which temp you mean then you can answer the question
    yourself.

    Me

    why?, May 25, 2007

  3. Barry

    Guest

    "Barry" <> wrote:

    >Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
    >there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
    >several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
    >are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
    >the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

    Besides the fact the 85degree ones could explode at 105 degrees?

    --

    http://villeki.aqua-web.org/paskaa/vesi.jpg

    , May 25, 2007
  4. Barry

    D.Duck Guest

    "Barry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I
    > know there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I
    > have several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and
    > some are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and
    > why, the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

    In your example the 105* C cap will last longer. In addition to the
    temperature rating all caps have a life spec, something like 1000, 2000 or
    5000 hours. Run of the mill caps will be rated for 1000 hours.

    Electrolytic caps have a wear-out mechanism. Ripple current thru the ESR
    (equivalent series resistance) of electrolytic caps causes internal heating.
    This internal heating combined with the ambient temperature dries up the
    capacitors electrolyte. As the electrolyte dries up the internal heating
    increases to the point where the heat is so great that the capacitor with
    vent.

    Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will allow
    the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled manner.
    Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of life when
    the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

    Therefore all other things being equal, the 105* C cap is the best choice
    over an 85* C rated part.

    D.Duck, May 26, 2007
  5. Barry

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "D.Duck" <> wrote in message

    > "Barry" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I
    >> know there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I
    >> have several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and
    >> some are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best
    >> and why, the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

    > In your example the 105* C cap will last longer. In addition to the
    > temperature rating all caps have a life spec, something like 1000, 2000 or
    > 5000 hours. Run of the mill caps will be rated for 1000 hours.
    >
    > Electrolytic caps have a wear-out mechanism. Ripple current thru the ESR
    > (equivalent series resistance) of electrolytic caps causes internal
    > heating. This internal heating combined with the ambient temperature dries
    > up the capacitors electrolyte. As the electrolyte dries up the internal
    > heating increases to the point where the heat is so great that the
    > capacitor with vent.
    >
    > Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
    > allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
    > manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
    > life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

    Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

    WhzzKdd, May 26, 2007
  6. Barry

    Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >> Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
    >> allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
    >> manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
    >> life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

    >Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

    College - electronics class, we used to blow them up :)

    Stick a one to the capacitor tester, crank it up and they'd pop like
    caps - never trusted us with the really big ones :)
    --

    Best Buy Busted

    , May 26, 2007
  7. Barry

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>> Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
    >>> allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
    >>> manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
    >>> life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

    >>Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

    > College - electronics class, we used to blow them up :)
    >
    > Stick a one to the capacitor tester, crank it up and they'd pop like
    > caps - never trusted us with the really big ones :)

    Cheap thrills <g>

    WhzzKdd, May 26, 2007
  8. Barry

    JANA Guest

    You can use both a higher voltage or higher temperature rated capacitor.

    The higher temperature rated capacitor will last longer in environments that
    are very warm. It is heat that causes the most degeneration of the
    specifications of capacitors. In cool environments, capacitors can last for
    many years without failure.

    The 105 C capacitor can safely operate up to 105 C degrees without failure.
    At this temperature, with its maximum operating voltage applied, it should
    last according to the manufactures MTBF rating. The same is for the 85 C
    capacitor, but at 85 C.

    The lower the operating temperature in relation to the maximum allowable
    amount, and the lower the operating voltage applied, the greater the MTBF to
    be expected. You would have to consult the manufacture's performance
    publications to have the details for the particular capacitor.

    When servicing equipment, we make a practice of using 105 C capacitors only,
    unless the particular type is not available, and we must use the 85 C type.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 26, 2007
  9. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Thank you Jana, and you too D. Duck, you all have help me more than you
    realize, It would really be nice if everyone on 24hoursupport was as helpful
    as you two guys, and Thanks agian,,,,,

    Barry, May 26, 2007
  10. Barry

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Barry.

    In <news:ViN5i.597$> you wrote:

    > Thank you Jana, and you too D. Duck, you all have help me more than you
    > realize, It would really be nice if everyone on 24hoursupport was as helpful
    > as you two guys, and Thanks agian,,,,,

    It wouldn't be half as much fun though ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, May 26, 2007