    they use less when leaving them on all day?

    My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!

    TIA
    Jimbob, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Jimbob

    Gordon Guest

    Jimbob wrote:

    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    > use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do
    > they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >
    > TIA

    It doesn't use ANY "electric" - it uses electriCITY
    Gordon, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Jimbob

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Jimbob wrote:
    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    > use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do
    > they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >
    > TIA

    When its turned off at the mains it uses no electricity. In standby it
    will use less than when it is turned on.
    Desk Rabbit, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Jimbob wrote:

    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification.
    > Does my PC use more electric when turning it on and off a few
    > times a day, or do they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!

    The issue is not just use of electricity. The other issue is what's
    best for your system. That's a holy wars topic. Some feel that
    it's better to leave it on because it reduces the number of power-up
    surges the hardware sees. When do your light bulbs usually blow --
    when you turn them on or when they've been on for a while? Others
    maintain that that's not an issue, and you should turn your system
    off if you're not going to be using it for a while. The lengthof "a
    while" is left for the individual to decide -- there's no formula
    for it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Jimbob

    Stickems. Guest

    Turning the PC on and off, no matter how many times within reason, uses less
    electricity.

    Stickems., Apr 12, 2007
  6. On 2007-04-12, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Gordon waxed eloquently:
    > Jimbob wrote:
    >
    >> I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    >> use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do
    >> they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >>
    >> My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >>
    >> TIA

    > It doesn't use ANY "electric" - it uses electriCITY

    One of my favorites: "Does it run on batteries or electricity?"

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Preserve Wildlife! Throw a party today!
    The Old Sourdough, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Jimbob

    ellis_jay Guest

    Jimbob wrote:
    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my
    > PC use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or
    > do they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >
    > TIA

    Like the other poster says: SUrge verses steady-state. Although
    "steady-state" is not quite exact as the voltage will cycle between 110 to
    120+ . If you are talking about global warming and conservation of
    energy-disconnect the power and Miami will have left a little more time to
    breathe easier above water.

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Jimbob

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Jimbob wrote:
    >> I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my
    >> PC use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or
    >> do they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >>
    >> My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Like the other poster says: SUrge verses steady-state. Although
    > "steady-state" is not quite exact as the voltage will cycle between 110 to
    > 120+ . If you are talking about global warming and conservation of
    > energy-disconnect the power and Miami will have left a little more time to
    > breathe easier above water.

    Well put. I hit the middle road here: the PC goes off at night (most nights)
    but once it's on the next day, it stays on all day. Reduced cycling (less
    heat/cool, less surge), but conservation during obviously "extended
    not-in-use" times.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > When do your light bulbs usually blow --
    > when you turn them on or when they've been on for a while?

    Most often when they've been off for a while. But one good explanation
    is that some small amount of loss of the vacuum in the bulb has slowly
    allowed more oxygen into the bulb than it was designed for. When the
    power is applied and the filament heats up, it burns in two rather than
    just remain hot enough to glow.

    Either that or it just lets the smoke out.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Jimbob

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-12, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> When do your light bulbs usually blow --
    >> when you turn them on or when they've been on for a while?

    > Most often when they've been off for a while. But one good explanation
    > is that some small amount of loss of the vacuum in the bulb has slowly
    > allowed more oxygen into the bulb than it was designed for. When the
    > power is applied and the filament heats up, it burns in two rather than
    > just remain hot enough to glow.
    >
    > Either that or it just lets the smoke out.

    As I understand it, incandescent filament bulbs are doomed from the moment
    they are first used; electrons are emitted from the white-hot metal, and
    when the bulb cools those electrons condense evenly over the whole of the
    inside of the bulb, so the filament gets steadily thinner until eventually
    it is too weak to take the slightest shock, often the shock of being
    powered on or off.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 12, 2007
  11. Jimbob

    Vanguard Guest

    "Jimbob" <> wrote in message
    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my
    > PC use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or
    > do they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!

    So why are you mooching off your girlfriend? Obviously you are
    squatting at her place and letting her pay all the bills. Chip in some
    on the expenses since you live there.
    Vanguard, Apr 13, 2007
  12. Jimbob

    Bob_R Guest

    "Jimbob" <> wrote in message
    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    > use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do they
    > use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >
    > TIA

    Whatever the g/f wants, just say "Yes dear" and do it. Otherwise the heat
    she brings down on you will may make global warming look like an iceberg.
    <g>
    Bob
    Bob_R, Apr 13, 2007
  13. Jimbob

    ** Frank ** Guest

    "Jimbob" <> wrote in message
    > I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    > use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do they
    > use less when leaving them on all day?
    >
    > My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >
    > TIA

    Less electrical energy when turning it on and off a few times a day as
    oppose to leaving it on all day.
    ** Frank **, Apr 13, 2007
  14. Frosty wrote:

    > This is what I did to prove to my wife how little it uses:
    > Turn off every fucking electrical thing in your house, don't forget
    > those stupid plug-in air fresheners.
    > Go outside with the little woman and look at the electric meter. It
    > should be totally still and not spinning.
    > Next turn on your PC.
    > Go out and look at the meter and observe the speed at which it spins.
    > Next turn off your PC and turn on your electric dryer.
    > Go look at the meter.
    > Do the same with the hair dryer, stove, oven etc.
    >
    > You may bever get any clean clothes or hot meals but at least you'll
    > have your PC & your porn.

    Let's see, everything off, then computer on. Then dryer, then ... OK, I
    think I've got it.

    Everything off, then computer on. Then
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 13, 2007
  15. Jimbob

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:29:48 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Jimbob
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but

    Frosty, Apr 13, 2007
  16. Jimbob

    w_tom Guest

    On Apr 12, 4:03 am, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > The issue is not just use of electricity. The other issue is what's
    > best for your system. That's a holy wars topic. Some feel that
    > it's better to leave it on because it reduces the number of power-up
    > surges the hardware sees. When do your light bulbs usually blow --
    > when you turn them on or when they've been on for a while?

    This power cycling issue is another benchmark for identifying junk
    scientists. For example, power cycling does not damage light bulbs.
    Those who know by only using observation - who did not also learn the
    underlying science - will use observation to make 180 degree different
    conclusions from reality.

    Computer left on used massive more electricity than one powered off
    when done. If not obvious from other posters: turn computer off just
    as with TV and radios for the exact same reasons. Power on creates
    massive energy consumption only when junk science reasoning is again
    used; they could not even bother to first learn numbers.

    Why does a light bulb fail when powered on? Because it was damaged
    by too many hours of operation. This bluntly made obvious even by the
    light bulb industry bible - IES Handbook. But again, it required
    conclusions to be based in science facts; not in junk science based
    only in observation. Same applies to computers. Turn it off or
    hibernate it when done.
    w_tom, Apr 13, 2007
  17. Jimbob

    Robb Guest

    w_tom wrote:
    > This power cycling issue is another benchmark for identifying junk
    >scientists. For example, power cycling does not damage light bulbs.

    I believe that. Without any discussion on the physical properties and
    changes over time, therein, you've nailed it.

    > Computer left on used massive more electricity than one powered off
    >when done.

    How do you quantify "massively" is that a "whole bunch" or what?

    >If not obvious from other posters: turn computer off just
    >as with TV and radios for the exact same reasons. Power on creates
    >massive energy consumption only when junk science reasoning is again
    >used; they could not even bother to first learn numbers.

    I kept a 1992 television turned on for 11 years straight. It still works but
    it pulls 55KW. The neighbors really get pissed when I turn it on, so I don't.

    > Why does a light bulb fail when powered on?

    The smoke got out.

    > Because it was damaged by too many hours of operation.

    So, if you never turn it on, it will never go bad??

    --
    Robb
    Robb, Apr 13, 2007
  18. Jimbob

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:29:48 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Jimbob
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    > instead wrote :
    >
    >>I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    >>use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do
    >>they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >>
    >>My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >>
    >>TIA

    > This is what I did to prove to my wife how little it uses:
    > Turn off every fucking electrical thing in your house, don't forget
    > those stupid plug-in air fresheners.
    > Go outside with the little woman and look at the electric meter. It
    > should be totally still and not spinning.
    > Next turn on your PC.
    > Go out and look at the meter and observe the speed at which it spins.
    > Next turn off your PC and turn on your electric dryer.
    > Go look at the meter.
    > Do the same with the hair dryer, stove, oven etc.
    >
    > You may bever get any clean clothes or hot meals but at least you'll
    > have your PC & your porn.

    LOL! Wouldn't it be easier just to explain the labels on the devices? Never
    mind. My wife wasn't a blond - but sure shoulda been.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 13, 2007
  19. Jimbob

    ellis_jay Guest

    w_tom wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 4:03 am, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> The issue is not just use of electricity. The other issue is what's
    >> best for your system. That's a holy wars topic. Some feel that
    >> it's better to leave it on because it reduces the number of power-up
    >> surges the hardware sees. When do your light bulbs usually blow --
    >> when you turn them on or when they've been on for a while?

    > This power cycling issue is another benchmark for identifying junk
    > scientists.

    > For example, power cycling does not damage light bulbs.

    Heraclitus would disagree.

    > Those who know by only using observation - who did not also learn the
    > underlying science - will use observation to make 180 degree different
    > conclusions from reality.
    >
    > Computer left on used massive more electricity than one powered off
    > when done.

    There is some twisted logic in that but I just can't put my finger on
    it.....

    > If not obvious from other posters: turn computer off just
    > as with TV and radios for the exact same reasons. Power on creates
    > massive energy consumption only when junk science reasoning is again
    > used; they could not even bother to first learn numbers.

    May be that is it...I am having trouble with the notion "massive"-as opposed
    to an "all-or-none" approach-and how it is measured ...and to frame of
    reference.

    > Why does a light bulb fail when powered on? Because it was damaged
    > by too many hours of operation. This bluntly made obvious even by the
    > light bulb industry bible - IES Handbook. But again, it required
    > conclusions to be based in science facts; not in junk science based
    > only in observation. Same applies to computers. Turn it off or
    > hibernate it when done.

    How does wear and tear on the hard drive and life of the drive come into
    play, then?

    ellis_jay, Apr 13, 2007
  20. Jimbob

    Frosty Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:17:00 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:29:48 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Jimbob
    >> <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    >> instead wrote :
    >>
    >>>I've heard this mentioned a few times but need clarification. Does my PC
    >>>use more electric when turning it on and off a few times a day, or do
    >>>they use less when leaving them on all day?
    >>>
    >>>My g/f is kicking up a stink and need evidence!
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >> This is what I did to prove to my wife how little it uses:
    >> Turn off every fucking electrical thing in your house, don't forget
    >> those stupid plug-in air fresheners.
    >> Go outside with the little woman and look at the electric meter. It
    >> should be totally still and not spinning.
    >> Next turn on your PC.
    >> Go out and look at the meter and observe the speed at which it spins.
    >> Next turn off your PC and turn on your electric dryer.
    >> Go look at the meter.
    >> Do the same with the hair dryer, stove, oven etc.
    >>
    >> You may never get any clean clothes or hot meals but at least you'll
    >> have your PC & your porn.

    >LOL! Wouldn't it be easier just to explain the labels on the devices? Never
    >mind. My wife wasn't a blond - but sure shoulda been.

    My device dosen't have a label on it.
    Frosty, Apr 14, 2007