    it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    Thanks for any assistance
    Regards, Lynn

    Lynn, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Lynn

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:

    >Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    > Thanks for any assistance

    Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?

    :)

    Craig Shore, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Lynn

    Alister F Guest

    (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
    @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >> Thanks for any assistance

    > Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
    >
    >:)

    I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
    during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
    your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
    collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
    condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
    problems.

    I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
    you can also go online if necessary.

    Alister F, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Lynn

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:

    > Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    > neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    > my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    > it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    > Thanks for any assistance
    > Regards, Lynn

    If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
    why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
    the same place ?
    Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
    regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
    accessing their services they will be concerned.

    best
    Warwick

    Warwick, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Lynn

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On 23 Dec 2003 21:28:09 +1300, Alister F wrote:

    > (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
    > @news.paradise.net.nz:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >>> Thanks for any assistance

    >> Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
    >>
    >>:)
    >>

    > I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
    > during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
    > your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
    > collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
    > condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
    > problems.
    >
    > I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
    > you can also go online if necessary.

    Wow that would seriously piss me off. Surely there's something that can be
    done?

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    Alister F wrote:
    > (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
    > @news.paradise.net.nz:
    >

    >>On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >>> Thanks for any assistance

    >>Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
    >>
    >>:)
    >>

    > I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
    > during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
    > your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
    > collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
    > condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
    > problems.
    >
    > I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
    > you can also go online if necessary.

    He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is becoming a
    bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe it is his earth
    that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it possible to filter
    it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems to be able to handle it
    for some reason.
    Lynn

    Lynn, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >> Thanks for any assistance
    >>Regards, Lynn

    > If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
    > why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
    > the same place ?

    The laptop and desktop use the same wiring i.e. I only have one or the
    other connected at a time as I don't have a network or internet sharing.
    You can hear the fence clicking when trying to dial up and it then
    starts disconnecting.
    With the laptop I just hear one click and as it connects and it seems to
    be able to stay connected.
    Lynn

    Lynn, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Lynn

    Jason M Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:

    >Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.

    Ask the electric fence manufacturer about it, their gear may be faulty
    or could be altered easily. The manufacturers I spoke to at the
    Mystery Creek Fielddays said that their fences didn't cause
    interference.
    If all else fails it's possible that you could use a satellite
    internet service. e.g. ihug ultra. Even though it uses the phone line
    for uploading it may be able to tolerate the interference.

    Jason M, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Lynn

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:41:02 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >> neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >> my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >> it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >> Thanks for any assistance
    >> Regards, Lynn

    >If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
    >why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
    >the same place ?
    >Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
    >regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
    >accessing their services they will be concerned.

    The laptop is not earthed. The desktop definitely has a three wire
    cable. Maybe it's an earth leakage problem.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Lynn

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:53 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:

    >Alister F wrote:
    >> (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
    >> @news.paradise.net.nz:

    [snipped a couple of other comments.

    >He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is becoming a
    >bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe it is his earth
    >that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it possible to filter
    >it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems to be able to handle it
    >for some reason.

    The laptop has no earth. The desktop probably has. I think you are
    correct about the earth. Some sort of isolating circuit might do the
    job. The electric fence vendor may be able to help.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Lynn

    Chris Guest

    Lynn <> wrote in

    > Alister F wrote:
    >> (Craig Shore) wrote in
    >> news:3fe7f4d1.194044260 @news.paradise.net.nz:

    >>>Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>

    >> I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a
    >> window during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you
    >> could give your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could
    >> connect to atleast collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously
    >> testing the fence's condition so having the unit off for short
    >> periods shouldn't cause any problems.
    >>
    >> I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch
    >> time so you can also go online if necessary.

    > He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is becoming
    > a bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe it is his
    > earth that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it possible to
    > filter it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems to be able to
    > handle it for some reason.
    > Lynn

    Dynalink have a rural modem which is ment to filter out that kind of thing,
    but first I'd try:

    1. Work out where the phone line and fence cross. If you can change the
    possition of 1 or the other so they don't run parallel you might be able to
    solve the problem.

    2. See if the owner of the fence can earth it better and check for shorts
    to ground like grass etc. Their idea of making sure it is well grounded
    might be so that it works - and thats all.

    As far as the laptop is concerned - that could be that the modem is a
    better quality than that in the PC (or the other way round).

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Lynn

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:41:02 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >>> neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >>> my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >>> it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >>> Thanks for any assistance
    >>> Regards, Lynn

    >>If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
    >>why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
    >>the same place ?
    >>Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
    >>regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
    >>accessing their services they will be concerned.
    >>

    > The laptop is not earthed. The desktop definitely has a three wire
    > cable. Maybe it's an earth leakage problem.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Good answer :)

    Find out if the electric fence is mains powered or battery powered. I
    geuss mains powered and its dumping noise probably onto everyones ps
    connected to the closest transformer.

    Somebody more knowledgeable than me could probably suggest a
    filter/suppressor he could use to power it through.

    There are legalities surrounding people dumping noise onto the mains, but I
    only vaguely recall that from electrotechnology classes back in the 80's.
    In the unlikely event he does not cooperate you may be able to force him to
    legally.

    good luck
    Warwick

    Warwick, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Lynn

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...
    > Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    > neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    > my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    > it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    > Thanks for any assistance
    > Regards, Lynn

    Oh boy, do I know this one.

    1) quality of modem plays a huge role. My Motorola modem won't stay
    connected for a minute at full speed, whereas the USR/3com courier
    v.everything hangs on like a bull terrier.
    2) I found if I run both the modem power supply (external, brick)
    and the computer over the same UPS it helps.
    3) checklist for your neighbour's fence:
    worst that I've ever seen was the neighbour who was too lazy to
    put in an earth for his fence unit and used the mains earth peg of his
    dairy shed. Everything in my house was clicking: stereo, heaters, the
    jug ...
    There should be a distance between the earth of the fence and the
    nearest power and phone lines. around 20-30 metres i.i.r.c.
    Also, having a minimum of 6 @ 6foot pegs for the fence makes a big
    difference. Insufficient earthing will feed pulses back into the grid.
    Especially if there are a lot of shorts in the system.
    If there is a very bad (metallic) short in the vicinity of the phone
    lines it can be dynamite.

    I've a good earth on my own electic fence and you can't even hear on the
    phone line if it's on or off. But I can hear another neighbour's, who's
    a kilometer away. :-\

    If you can persuade Telecom to put a choke on your line, it may dampen
    the frequencies that are the most obnoxious to your modem - ultimately
    it's a bit trial and error, but I have found it to be quite beneficial
    in my case.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Lynn

    T.N.O. Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
    > why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
    > the same place ?

    Differing modem chipsets will have differing tolerences for noise,
    usually slowingthe modem to the next level down will "fix it".

    T.N.O., Dec 23, 2003
  15. Lynn

    IRO Guest

    In article <zKUFb.14210$>,
    Chris <> wrote:

    > 2. See if the owner of the fence can earth it better and check for shorts
    > to ground like grass etc. Their idea of making sure it is well grounded
    > might be so that it works - and thats all.

    That may be the secret. There was an item on the Nat Prog yesterday
    about the need for really good earths on electric fences. At least one
    and up to three steel waratahs hammered nearly full-length into the
    ground with good bonding to the copper wire back to the unit was
    advised. Not for the faint-hearted!

    Wanna bet your neighbour has a 12" spike pushed in by hand?

    --
    ~IRO

    IRO, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Lynn

    T.N.O. Guest

    IRO wrote:
    >>2. See if the owner of the fence can earth it better and check for shorts
    >>to ground like grass etc. Their idea of making sure it is well grounded
    >>might be so that it works - and thats all.

    > That may be the secret. There was an item on the Nat Prog yesterday
    > about the need for really good earths on electric fences. At least one
    > and up to three steel waratahs hammered nearly full-length into the
    > ground with good bonding to the copper wire back to the unit was
    > advised. Not for the faint-hearted!

    > Wanna bet your neighbour has a 12" spike pushed in by hand?

    12"... doubt it... most of them only come with 6" ones.

    T.N.O., Dec 23, 2003
  17. Lynn

    Peter Guest

    In article <>,
    e says...
    > In article <zKUFb.14210$>,
    > Chris <> wrote:
    >
    > > 2. See if the owner of the fence can earth it better and check for shorts
    > > to ground like grass etc. Their idea of making sure it is well grounded
    > > might be so that it works - and thats all.

    > That may be the secret. There was an item on the Nat Prog yesterday
    > about the need for really good earths on electric fences. At least one
    > and up to three steel waratahs hammered nearly full-length into the
    > ground with good bonding to the copper wire back to the unit was
    > advised. Not for the faint-hearted!
    >
    > Wanna bet your neighbour has a 12" spike pushed in by hand?

    Now that would never do. Firstly you'd have to strip the paint off the
    wararah and secondly 3 wouldn't be near enough. Believe me.

    -Peter

    Peter, Dec 23, 2003
  18. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:53:15 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >In article <>, lid
    >says...
    >> Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    >> neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    >> my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    >> it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
    >> Thanks for any assistance
    >> Regards, Lynn

    >Oh boy, do I know this one.
    >
    >1) quality of modem plays a huge role. My Motorola modem won't stay
    >connected for a minute at full speed, whereas the USR/3com courier
    >v.everything hangs on like a bull terrier.

    The 3COM/U.S. Robotics modems are considered one of the best and have all ways
    come out on tops, in all reviews.

    My 56K Message Modem can even hang on when I pick up the phone.

    Try a good modem..

    Brian Withers, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Lynn

    harry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:53 +1300, Lynn <> wrote:
    >

    >> Alister F wrote:
    >>> (Craig Shore) wrote in
    >>> news:3fe7f4d1.194044260 @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > [snipped a couple of other comments.
    >>
    >> He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is
    >> becoming a bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe
    >> it is his earth that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it
    >> possible to filter it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems
    >> to be able to handle it for some reason.
    >>

    > The laptop has no earth. The desktop probably has. I think you are
    > correct about the earth. Some sort of isolating circuit might do the
    > job. The electric fence vendor may be able to help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    The modem connection in the desktop is isolated with a little 600:600
    transformer though, it has to be to get its Telepermit tick.
    Modems in desktops are $30 softmodems and winmodems and highly varable in
    quality.
    Laptop modems usually have a Lucent chipset or a hardware chipset like the
    Xircom cards and wider tolerance for line conditions, they retrain down in
    speed rather than dropping the line.
    Consider replacing the desktop modem with an external connected to the com
    ports, preferably one of the Dynalink rural ones which have default firmware
    settings set to tolerate crap line noise.
    My local electrical wholesaler (Advance) also has Cnet brand externals at a
    very reasonable price, and a little dongle that goes on the modem called the
    Edimax Internet Access Server IAS 1001 which adds dial on demand multiple
    user access on your LAN.

    harry, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Lynn

    Howard Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:

    > Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
    > neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
    > my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
    > it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.

    I would guess the laptop has a better quality modem in it compared to the
    desktop.

    I have read about "rural grade modems" which cost more (circa $300 ?)
    but hang on like grim death to a connection. Maybe like this one...
    http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/v1456vqe-r1-rural.htm

    Howard, Dec 23, 2003