    while 70-229 still works with sql server 2000... will that
    mean that when sql server 2005 will be released I'll have
    to retake the exam? in this case I should take 70-306, no?

    Eduard Cros, Dec 22, 2004

  2. "Eduard Cros" <> wrote in message
    news:143c01c4e83c$c88fde10$...

    Hi Eduard,

    > Hi all, I'm taking the MCAD certification (as all here I
    > guess :)). I've already passed 70-305 and 70-310 (with
    > high scores :D) and now thinking what elective exam should
    > I take.
    > My doubts are:
    > 1) Which will be more useful as a .Net programmer?
    > 2) Which will be easier?
    > 3) Which will be valid for more time?

    I'd take the topic area that you are most interested in. Do you wor with
    data very much? Then you might like 70-229. If you're doing front ends then
    take both Windows and Web.

    > I've read that when they update a product (major update)
    > you've got to retake the exams to mantain your
    > certificate,

    This is not true. Please see
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/Oct01/10-11MCPUpdatesPR.asp.
    I've seen exams for several versions of the same product live at the same
    time and available for use to satisfy certification requirements.

    > and I've read about sql server 2005 too,
    > while 70-229 still works with sql server 2000... will that
    > mean that when sql server 2005 will be released I'll have
    > to retake the exam? in this case I should take 70-306, no?

    Nobody even knows if there will be new exams when Whidbey and Yukon go live,
    but by your logic you'd need a Whidbey version of 70-306 if you needed a
    Yukon version of 70-229.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Eduard Cros

    Guest Guest

    Reading from the MCP Program Agreement, section 3. b)

    MAINTAINING CERTIFICATION. To mantain your certification
    (s), you must comply with any and all applicable
    cointinuing certification requeriments specified by
    Microsoft from time to time. You acknowledge that
    Microsoft may, at its sole descretion, change the
    certification requeriments (both initial and continuing),
    MCP Designations and MCP Logos at any time. Microsoft will
    notify you by e-mail... of any changes in certification
    requeriments for any certifications you hold. You will be
    allowed six full calendar months ... in whith to comply
    with any such changed certification requeriments ...
    Failure to comply with all applicable continuing
    certification requeriments will result in termination of
    this Agreement ...

    I don't exactly know what major changes force Microsoft to
    change continuing requeriments, but I think big changes as
    VB 6.0 to VB.NET are big enough, that's why my question
    was if SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 was a big enough
    change or not... besides that I prefer front-end
    applications but not sure where is easier to find a job as
    I'm a MCnyP (Microsoft Certified not-yet-Professional, as
    someone else in this forum, but a little more
    optimistic :D)

    Guest, Dec 23, 2004
  4. <> wrote in message

    Hi,

    > Reading from the MCP Program Agreement, section 3. b)
    >
    > MAINTAINING CERTIFICATION. To mantain your certification
    > (s), you must comply with any and all applicable
    > cointinuing certification requeriments specified by
    > Microsoft from time to time. You acknowledge that
    > Microsoft may, at its sole descretion, change the
    > certification requeriments (both initial and continuing),
    > MCP Designations and MCP Logos at any time. Microsoft will
    > notify you by e-mail... of any changes in certification
    > requeriments for any certifications you hold. You will be
    > allowed six full calendar months ... in whith to comply
    > with any such changed certification requeriments ...
    > Failure to comply with all applicable continuing
    > certification requeriments will result in termination of
    > this Agreement ...

    Ah. I haven't read that in a while. Although they're saying that they can do
    pretty much whatever they want and that you don't really have any rights.
    Nevertheless, even though they can declare that you are no longer a
    "solution developer" no one can ever say that you did not pass 70-whatever,
    certifying a level of expertise in version whatever of the software. Of
    course that's what the article I referenced was all about. When Windows 2000
    came out there were a lot of NT4 machines installations that would not be
    immediately upgraded, and there continued to be demand for NT4 MCSEs for
    several more years. In the same way, there is a huge body of VB6 code still
    in use and there continues to be demand for VB6 developers.

    > I don't exactly know what major changes force Microsoft to
    > change continuing requeriments, but I think big changes as
    > VB 6.0 to VB.NET are big enough, that's why my question
    > was if SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 was a big enough
    > change or not...

    When the Visual Studio 6 exams, the VS6 Solution Architectures exam, and
    some of the VS6 MCSD electives were retired there were "no candidate
    requirements to retain certification."
    (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examsretired.asp)

    > besides that I prefer front-end
    > applications but not sure where is easier to find a job as
    > I'm a MCnyP (Microsoft Certified not-yet-Professional, as
    > someone else in this forum, but a little more
    > optimistic :D)

    As far as jobs go, you should always do what you like. You'll be far more
    motivated to continue to improve your skills than you would if you were
    doing something you didn't enjoy.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Dec 24, 2004