    Earl Guest

    Does anyone know how to eject a stubborn CD? I've tried rebotting, etc.
    Thanks.

    Earl, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Earl

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Earl" <> wrote in message
    news:h%_Nh.131520$...
    > Does anyone know how to eject a stubborn CD? I've tried rebotting, etc.
    > Thanks.

    Paperclip. Straighten. Poke it into the little hole in the faceplate of the
    CD.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that also and it didn't work.

    Earl, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Earl

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Then remove the unit from the PC and disassemble.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Earl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Earl wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to eject a stubborn CD? I've tried rebotting,
    > etc. Thanks.

    Presumably you are saying that not only do the 'electronic' controls of
    CD software not work, but also the manual eject button doesn't work.

    The most common method for a CD tray style is to use the pin hole eject
    using a 'sturdy' straightened paperclip.

    I don't have any slotted drives, but I've heard that either a pin hole
    or thin button is inside the slot for them.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Earl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Earl wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd"
    >> "Earl"
    >>> eject a stubborn CD?

    >> Paperclip.

    > it didn't work.

    Let's make the assumptions that the paperclip released the 'catch' and
    that the mechanism of the failure of the tray to make its outward
    excursion driven by the spring is either some spring failure or jammed
    CD - that would be insufficient outward drive force or excessive
    resistance to the force -- as opposed to believing that the pinhole
    release technique is failing to achieve the release.

    If that beginning assumption is correct, then you should keep the
    pinhole release mechanism 'depressed' ie paperclip properly inserted and
    not missing the release and 'aid' or 'extract' ie 'pull' the tray with
    gentle force, probably applied with something with a thin blade used
    properly.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Thanks, WhzzKdd. I'm not to handy when it comes to taking apart computers,
    but maybe I'll have to try that. :)

    Earl, Mar 27, 2007
  8. Earl

    Earl Guest

    Thanks, Mike Easter. I'm going to call it a night tonight, but I'll try
    again tomorrow.

    Earl, Mar 27, 2007
  9. Earl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Earl wrote:
    > Thanks, Mike Easter. I'm going to call it a night tonight, but I'll
    > try again tomorrow.

    I don't recall any easy way/dissembly into a naked CD drive enclosure
    except for the front, but I may be wrong about that. It is easy enough
    to get the drive out, but I'll bet you'll still be working on the front.

    Are you keeping any pre-symptom secrets from us, like some stupid thing
    a kid [or similar] did to it? Like forcing the tray closed with
    something in there wrong?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 27, 2007
  10. Earl

    thanatoid Guest

    "Earl" <> wrote in

    > Thanks, Mike Easter. I'm going to call it a night tonight,
    > but I'll try again tomorrow.

    (Strange. How long does it take to stick the end of a paperclip
    into a tiny hole?)

    Something occurred to me, and trust me, MANY have done stupider
    things, but when you tried this before, the PC WAS on, right? It
    will not eject unless the power is on, it's not a mechanical
    "spring" that you can set off manually with the pin.

    Also, read the manual, they may have suggestions.

    Also, MAYBE (can't remember searching for that particular
    problem): www.cdrfaq.org

    thanatoid, Mar 27, 2007
  11. Earl

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:58:03 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Mike
    Easter" <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Earl wrote:
    >> Thanks, Mike Easter. I'm going to call it a night tonight, but I'll
    >> try again tomorrow.

    >I don't recall any easy way/dissembly into a naked CD drive enclosure
    >except for the front,

    Well, that does it for me tonight.
    (Ummmm....naked CD enclosures...)

    Frosty, Mar 27, 2007
  12. Earl

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Earl" <> said in

    > Thanks, WhzzKdd. I'm not to handy when it comes to taking apart
    > computers, but maybe I'll have to try that. :)

    Unless you are a complete incompetent, it will only require perhaps a
    phillips head screwdriver.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Mar 27, 2007
  13. Earl

    doS Guest

    uh, the pc doesnt need to be on

    doS, Mar 28, 2007
  14. In article <F5%Nh.18082$>,
    "Earl" <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that also and it didn't work.

    Did you have the PC (and therefore the CD ROM drive) turned OFF when you
    tried this?

    David Matthew Wood, Mar 28, 2007
  15. In fact, it needs to be off so that no power will get to the drive
    (provided the drive is internal of course). Otherwise, the drive's
    motor will continue to keep the tray locked.

    David Matthew Wood, Mar 28, 2007
  16. Earl

    thanatoid Guest

    David Matthew Wood <> wrote in

    > In fact, it needs to be off so that no power will get to
    > the drive (provided the drive is internal of course).
    > Otherwise, the drive's motor will continue to keep the tray
    > locked.

    Isn't that what the "pin in the hole" is supposed to override?

    And HOW does the tray slide out with no power? I don't recall
    the manual telling you to pull it out with forceps or
    anything....?

    thanatoid, Mar 28, 2007
  17. Earl

    kraftee Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > David Matthew Wood <> wrote in
    >
    >> In fact, it needs to be off so that no power will get to
    >> the drive (provided the drive is internal of course).
    >> Otherwise, the drive's motor will continue to keep the
    >> tray locked.

    > Isn't that what the "pin in the hole" is supposed to
    > override?
    >
    > And HOW does the tray slide out with no power? I don't
    > recall the manual telling you to pull it out with forceps
    > or anything....?

    Derrr.............................you pull it out after you've
    released the lock with the paper clip pushed thru the hole.

    But isn't that where the argument started anyway...

    kraftee, Mar 28, 2007
  18. Earl

    x@y Guest

    "Earl" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know how to eject a stubborn CD? I've tried rebotting, etc.
    > Thanks.

    Open my Computer, right click on the stubborn CD Drive
    and click "eject" It worked for me a couple of times.

    Good Luck, x@y

    x@y, Mar 28, 2007
  19. Earl

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > David Matthew Wood <> wrote in
    >
    >> In fact, it needs to be off so that no power will get to
    >> the drive (provided the drive is internal of course).
    >> Otherwise, the drive's motor will continue to keep the tray
    >> locked.

    > Isn't that what the "pin in the hole" is supposed to override?
    >
    > And HOW does the tray slide out with no power? I don't recall
    > the manual telling you to pull it out with forceps or
    > anything....?

    The pinhole allows a user to push a mechanical lever or gear inside that
    mechanically begins the motion of the drive opening - usually bringing it
    out 1/4" to 1/2". Then the user pulls it open the rest of the way.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 28, 2007
  20. Earl

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "David Matthew Wood" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F5%Nh.18082$>,
    > "Earl" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that also and it didn't work.

    > Did you have the PC (and therefore the CD ROM drive) turned OFF when you
    > tried this?

    Heh - I should've mentioned that. I strongly recommend AGAINST sticking
    something metal inside a powered on electronic device <g>

    WhzzKdd, Mar 28, 2007