    On a spoke and hub network what are the pros and cons.

    Network is running OSPF with a migration over to EIGRP.

    Any and all responses is greatful.

    Butch, Jul 25, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Butch <> wrote:
    >On a spoke and hub network what are the pros and cons.
    >
    >Network is running OSPF with a migration over to EIGRP.
    >
    >Any and all responses is greatful.

    As in all things networking, the correct answer is "It depends."

    It depends on the size of the network, the degree of redundant
    connectivity, the size and complexity of individual sites, etc. I
    devote a chapter in my book to the issues, concluding that for
    large hub and spoke networks (with hundreds of spokes) EIGRP and
    RIPv2 have major advantages over OSPF for the routing protocol used
    between the hub and the spokes. On the other hand, if the spokes
    are simple with only a single link to the hub, OSPF stub routing
    can work well. And OSPF runs rings around EIGRP when the network is
    a complex mesh with many redundant paths (try setting up EIGRP on a
    simple triangle of three routers, each with a link to the other two,
    so that every router has a feasible successor for each link).

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Butch

    jsalminen Guest

    Well first of all EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary rp. OSPF is not exclusive to
    Cisco. So if you have all Cisco routers then you're good to go for EIGRP.

    EIGRP is simple and fast. If you allow the default delay values of all the
    serial interfaces then it is as simple as can be.

    OSPF is relatively more complicated than EIGRP, but that of course depends
    on the complexity of your network.

    My 2 cents is use EIGRP if you can. I been using it for years and have never
    encountered any routing inconsistencies with a full mesh WAN between 10
    locations. I mentioned the default delay values above because I use
    Multilink interfaces in several places and the default delay value of a mu
    interface is higher than a ser interface which puts your composite metric
    higher than a ser composite metric. That is of course easily remedied by
    specifying a lower delay value in the mu interface config.

    jsalminen, Jul 31, 2005