    Am I correct in saying that if EFS is enabled on a folder
    on windows XP pro and the folder is copyied to a XP home
    machine you will be able to view the files?

    Shaun, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Yes and No. The File Encryption Key (FEK) is encrypted with the users public
    key. To decrypt a file, the users private key is needed. This private key is
    generated and stored on the local pc. If you copy a file from one pc to
    another, a dialogue box will tell you this file will not retain its
    encryption. Check below for details.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx
    --
    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a
    system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from
    the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
    - Dennis

    Wayne McGlinn, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Shaun

    Guest Guest