EFS encrypted harddisk

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Arjen, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Arjen

    Arjen Guest

    Hello there,

    i have the following problem here:

    I have here an workstation with 2scsi and 2eide hdd's here. So 4 harddisks.

    On one harddisk i have my windows 2000 proffesional, and on an other (BACKUP
    HDD) my backups with my personal letters, scanned photo's etc.

    The other two harddisks i used for different purposes.

    However, i new installed my windows 2000 on the system disk and in order to
    be sure i made all partitions deleting on my system harddisk. What i didn't
    realised was that i had on my backup harddisk made a folder for all these
    back-up data who was encrypted by WIN2000 it's own EFS encrypting system.

    I tagged this folder containing all these documents from me as to be
    encrypted by windows itself.

    Now i have deleted my mother harddisk where were all the system and program
    files on and i discovered that by removing the partition and lowlevel format
    the who thing to start new i REALLY have to start NEW. I deleted the digital
    key and now i have no more acces to my backup harddisk who is in NTFS
    format.

    I tried to backup/copy all the files to an FAT32 Harddisk but the only step
    forward of my efforts were that i had no longer the access control agent
    from the file NTFS system. I could open a file (photo whatever) but got the
    message that file was not a valid or corrupt file.

    I phoned with Microsoft with the question if they could crack en decode my
    harddisk containing all these files and photo's. But the only answer i got
    from them was that sorry sir you lost all your data. Now i can accept that
    it maybe would be difficult to decrypt the who'll thing but not an answer
    impossible.

    Does anybody know a solution to decrypt my data?! I looked for programs to
    decrypt but didn't found. Maybe someone knows an expert on these things. If
    i had the money i would sue MS because it is their own product who i trusted
    and since i can't remember i was warned by the program or in product papers
    about this issue i would be happy to know that i had at least some kind of
    support for product problems. You pay alot of money for one of their
    products and you make a mistake and loose a big part of your life resulting
    to start all over again by making a digital administration.

    Ok enough about that but is there anybody who knows somebody who could make
    a second key for me?! I had a part of my data back-upped on a cd prior the
    whole installation process. So i could arange an uncrypted file and a
    encrypted one. Maybe this would help i don't know.

    Is there anybody who could help me with this?!

    Greetings from the netherlands,

    Arjen

    Arjen, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Arjen

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:59:54 GMT, "Arjen" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there anybody who could help me with this?!

    ###########################
    Here is something from windows help.

    To recover an encrypted file or folder if you are a designated
    recovery agent

    Use Backup or another backup tool to restore a user's backup version
    of the encrypted file or folder to the computer where your file
    recovery certificate is located.
    In Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder.
    Click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Advanced.
    Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    Make a backup version of the decrypted file or folder and return the
    backup version to the user.
    donnie.

    donnie, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Arjen

    Wimbo Guest

    Arjen wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > i have the following problem here:
    >
    > I have here an workstation with 2scsi and 2eide hdd's here. So 4 harddisks.
    >
    > On one harddisk i have my windows 2000 proffesional, and on an other (BACKUP
    > HDD) my backups with my personal letters, scanned photo's etc.
    >
    > The other two harddisks i used for different purposes.
    >
    > However, i new installed my windows 2000 on the system disk and in order to
    > be sure i made all partitions deleting on my system harddisk. What i didn't
    > realised was that i had on my backup harddisk made a folder for all these
    > back-up data who was encrypted by WIN2000 it's own EFS encrypting system.

    SNIP

    Wimbo, Nov 22, 2004