Effective minimum wattage for the following setup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT on
    one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)

    At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.

    Recommended makes for quality and quietness?

    Wattage? 600w? this thing is normally on 24/7 so excessive in-efficiency
    is not good. eg some units reported 1kw of input, so that is 20cents (
    approx 17cents plus GST) an hour.....so that is potentially (1 x 24 x
    365) $1752 in electrcity per year.....ouch....(maximum I know....but
    even if it is 50% of the max rating....that is a huge add to the bill
    every month....

    I know some high wattage units are horrendious power users and noisey, I
    need as quiet as I can get....especially when the athlon chip is in
    quiet mode...I am doing audio recording & stuff so noise is an issue....

    Based on the above cost....paying even $100 more for the same "450watt"
    unit where it is more efficient makes a lot of sense...then there is the
    fan noise to disappate this waste heat....

    ik........

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 30, 2005

  2. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT on
    > one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >
    > At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.
    >
    > Recommended makes for quality and quietness?
    >
    > Wattage? 600w? this thing is normally on 24/7 so excessive in-efficiency
    > is not good. eg some units reported 1kw of input, so that is 20cents (
    > approx 17cents plus GST) an hour.....so that is potentially (1 x 24 x
    > 365) $1752 in electrcity per year.....ouch....(maximum I know....but
    > even if it is 50% of the max rating....that is a huge add to the bill
    > every month....
    >
    > I know some high wattage units are horrendious power users and noisey, I
    > need as quiet as I can get....especially when the athlon chip is in
    > quiet mode...I am doing audio recording & stuff so noise is an issue....
    >
    > Based on the above cost....paying even $100 more for the same "450watt"
    > unit where it is more efficient makes a lot of sense...then there is the
    > fan noise to disappate this waste heat....

    You need to look at the efficiancy across the board, not juat at the peak load
    or the more common best figure on whatever load.

    and 17c+gst is a lot for a unit of power - Im on 11.7 +GST, but theres the 10%
    discount to be applied to that too.

    Richard, Oct 30, 2005

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT
    >> on one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >>
    >> At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.
    >>
    >> Recommended makes for quality and quietness?
    >>
    >> Wattage? 600w? this thing is normally on 24/7 so excessive
    >> in-efficiency is not good. eg some units reported 1kw of input, so
    >> that is 20cents ( approx 17cents plus GST) an hour.....so that is
    >> potentially (1 x 24 x 365) $1752 in electrcity per
    >> year.....ouch....(maximum I know....but even if it is 50% of the max
    >> rating....that is a huge add to the bill every month....
    >>
    >> I know some high wattage units are horrendious power users and noisey,
    >> I need as quiet as I can get....especially when the athlon chip is in
    >> quiet mode...I am doing audio recording & stuff so noise is an issue....
    >>
    >> Based on the above cost....paying even $100 more for the same
    >> "450watt" unit where it is more efficient makes a lot of sense...then
    >> there is the fan noise to disappate this waste heat....

    > You need to look at the efficiancy across the board, not juat at the
    > peak load or the more common best figure on whatever load.

    Yes I agree, but cannot find any data (that I can trust) so far that
    gives this. As a guide though a bad efficiency unit at full load is
    still going to be bad at typical or mid load I suspect. I assume there
    will be an efficiency curve you can plot off but whether this is
    available and if its manufacturers data it is questionable. ie some
    reputable manufacturers might supply decent data, some dodgy ones may
    not provide it or supply invented data, how will you know?

    > and 17c+gst is a lot for a unit of power - Im on 11.7 +GST, but theres
    > the 10% discount to be applied to that too.

    My existing charge is circa 16 cents kwh, but over the 3 year life of
    the PSU / computer that is going to rise, so I picked 20 cents as a mean
    cost over 3 years.

    Also you should really take the monthly charge and divide it by the
    average kwh you use per month and add it to the actual kwh....

    Hence 20 cents per kwh is not un-reasonable IMHO.

    thingy, Oct 30, 2005
  4. thingy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:27:37 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT on
    > one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >
    > At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.
    >
    > Recommended makes for quality and quietness?

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/

    The TNN case will have your account screaming though at close to $1900

    Closer to home

    http://www.quietpc.com/nz/

    Gordon, Oct 30, 2005
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:27:37 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT on
    >>one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >>
    >>At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.
    >>
    >>Recommended makes for quality and quietness?

    > http://www.zalman.co.kr/
    >
    > The TNN case will have your account screaming though at close to $1900
    >
    > Closer to home
    >
    > http://www.quietpc.com/nz/

    thanks interesting site.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 30, 2005
  6. thingy

    S Roby Guest

    toms.hardware.com has some good reviews on power supplies

    I had 2 hard drives, athlon 1800, CDR, DVDR, 512M ram every pci slot filled
    with cards etc etc etc
    It all ran perfectly on a Generic 230W supply, you may not need to replace the
    supply.

    You can actually rewire the fans to run at 5v (& just disconnect the 2nd fan).
    This makes it alot quieter (some supplies have a fan speed control knob that
    does the same thing)

    S Roby, Oct 30, 2005
  7. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT
    > on one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >
    > At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.

    <snip>

    Without knowing what make your current unit is it's impossible to say if
    it'll do the job. Also, what h/w are you running on it now?

    As I'm sure you are aware, there are 450W units that output 300W at best and
    there are 450W units that handle 500W peak easilly.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2005
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >>Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte 6600GT
    >>on one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >>
    >>At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Without knowing what make your current unit is it's impossible to say if
    > it'll do the job. Also, what h/w are you running on it now?
    >
    > As I'm sure you are aware, there are 450W units that output 300W at best and
    > there are 450W units that handle 500W peak easilly.

    Yeah....exactly....

    I have found a piece on Tomshardware, enermax seems well thought of,
    efficient, quiet and available over here and sli ready (unlikely I will
    want/afford that though).

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342308

    I have a raidmax 400w unit running a dual p3-1000 with a 6600GT Legend
    VGA card. Misc stuff like 3 hds, firewire.....uw scsi (adaptec 3940)
    external Creative sound card...3 fans...seems OK.

    raidmax ~

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337150

    The ATX box I am going to use for the new PC has a dead 350w unit, so I
    need a new one anyway (geeze a dual p3-500 was the bees knees not that
    long ago now its worth diddly squat!)

    I dont like the raidmax because of the fan noise, otherwise it is fine.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 31, 2005
  9. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Athlon x2, gigabyte pci-exp motherboard, either a dual giabyte
    >>> 6600GT on one card or a 6800 (or something of a similar spec)
    >>>
    >>> At present I have a 450watt unit....suspect I need to upgrade.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Without knowing what make your current unit is it's impossible to
    >> say if it'll do the job. Also, what h/w are you running on it now?
    >>
    >> As I'm sure you are aware, there are 450W units that output 300W at
    >> best and there are 450W units that handle 500W peak easilly.

    > Yeah....exactly....
    >
    > I have found a piece on Tomshardware, enermax seems well thought of,
    > efficient, quiet and available over here and sli ready (unlikely I
    > will want/afford that though).
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342308
    >
    > I have a raidmax 400w unit running a dual p3-1000 with a 6600GT Legend
    > VGA card. Misc stuff like 3 hds, firewire.....uw scsi (adaptec 3940)
    > external Creative sound card...3 fans...seems OK.
    >
    > raidmax ~
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337150
    >
    > The ATX box I am going to use for the new PC has a dead 350w unit, so
    > I need a new one anyway (geeze a dual p3-500 was the bees knees not
    > that long ago now its worth diddly squat!)
    >
    > I dont like the raidmax because of the fan noise, otherwise it is
    > fine.

    It seems rather too cheap to be great. Probably fine for a Barton-type
    system but I'd replace it for your new system. Yes, Enermax are a respected
    brand, one of the top five or six most recommended AFAIS. (Seen)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2005
  10. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    Take a look at this article:

    they also have other articles detailing quietness combined with the other
    necessary factors.

    If you want quiet and go for a fanless PSU, don't forget something still has
    to blow air over the psu otherwise you get a stinking hot case and hot CPU
    as a consequence, so you have to have a fan somewhere ==> fanless psu's
    don't really exist...

    12cm case fans are a good starter as at much lower rev's and lower noise
    they move as much air.

    If you want a quiet system, build it from quiet parts and avoid parts
    thatneed fans (EG high dissipation graphics cards - unless high perf
    graphics is a requisite). Adding dampening to quieten down afterwards is
    largely a waste of time.

    Mercury, Oct 31, 2005
  11. thingy

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:30:27 +1300, thingy wrote:

    >> As I'm sure you are aware, there are 450W units that output 300W at best and
    >> there are 450W units that handle 500W peak easilly.

    > Yeah....exactly....
    >
    > I have found a piece on Tomshardware, enermax seems well thought of,
    > efficient, quiet and available over here and sli ready (unlikely I will
    > want/afford that though).
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342308

    I got a enermax eg495p-ve from computer lounge a couple of months ago for
    about $130. 485 watt.

    I am running a athlon 64 3000+ cpu on a nforce 3 250gb motherboard,
    pathetic nvidia 5200 graphics (which never the less needs a extra 12v drive
    lead plugged into it for power), two SATA drives, 1 cd writer, 1 dvd
    writer, 4 fans. 1 internal pci adsl card, LAN nic, etc.

    Hasn't put a foot wrong so far, seems pretty quiet. This psu has a pot on
    the back for adjust fan speed, and is also temperature auto controlled. Has
    nice long leads. Seems quite quiet. And I am sensitive to noise (even got a
    huge fanless heatpipe heatsink for the cpu).

    > I have a raidmax 400w unit running a dual p3-1000 with a 6600GT Legend
    > VGA card. Misc stuff like 3 hds, firewire.....uw scsi (adaptec 3940)
    > external Creative sound card...3 fans...seems OK.
    >
    > raidmax ~
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337150

    Raidmax are crap.

    I went trought 2 or three of them from ascent before they gave in and
    decided to refund me their purchase price (got it with a case..)...

    Wait for it...

    Wait..........

    $30.

    Yes indeed, the raidmax 420 watt psu refund got me a whole $30. Shows the
    quality.

    Purchased some other brand from them. Forget what it was now. It lasted two
    months. Then dead in the morning....

    My power lines ?

    No, several other computers here on the same line, no problem, and all the
    PSU's in them are literally YEARS old. e.g. 4, 5. All running motherboard
    cpu's, etc only 2, 3 years old. 300 watt.

    Got ther enermax from Computer Lunge. Cheaper, post included, credit card.
    Ascent are good but started to think their PSU's are jinxed! lol.

    Now I have said it out loud, this new enermax will play up too no doubt....

    (also went through two benq dw1620 dvd writes in the same psu period...
    still highly suspicious, but I am good at getting the 1 in a thousand going
    by past history)...

    Get the enermax. Good rep, not too dear.

    > The ATX box I am going to use for the new PC has a dead 350w unit, so I
    > need a new one anyway (geeze a dual p3-500 was the bees knees not that
    > long ago now its worth diddly squat!)

    You will not need some huge 500w monster. I ran my main comp (specs above)
    on the ancient 300w psu stolen from the spare comp for a month without
    issues.

    General consensus is that it is difficult to get a computer to use much
    more than 200w in normal use. For details, read Dan's Data web site and
    Toms hardware.

    Or, just get that enermax. Not the only good psu on the market here, but at
    the cheaper end of the most respetced.

    YMMV.

    > I dont like the raidmax because of the fan noise, otherwise it is fine.

    Mine were the same. When they worked! Cheap and nasty. Can't skimp on a PSU
    by the looks - too many corners are cut in the manufactor stage and the
    last thing you need is for it to got open circuit to 240vac, taking
    EVERYTHING else in the comp with it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #98450 +(3833)- [X]

    Jakefeb3: do you know a turtles only weakness?
    AvatarOfSolusek: no
    AvatarOfSolusek: well
    AvatarOfSolusek: thier slowness
    Jakefeb3: there weakness is they cant roll over when they are on their
    backs
    AvatarOfSolusek: lol
    Jakefeb3: now i have a plan
    Jakefeb3: if i duck tape 2 turtles together they are unstoppable

    Note: All my comments are copyright 31/10/2005 1:37:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 31, 2005
  12. thingy

    thing2 Guest

    Brendan wrote:
> [...]

    >>long ago now its worth diddly squat!)

    > You will not need some huge 500w monster. I ran my main comp (specs above)
    > on the ancient 300w psu stolen from the spare comp for a month without
    > issues.
    >
    > General consensus is that it is difficult to get a computer to use much
    > more than 200w in normal use. For details, read Dan's Data web site and
    > Toms hardware.
    >
    > Or, just get that enermax. Not the only good psu on the market here, but at
    > the cheaper end of the most respetced.
    >
    > YMMV.
    >

    >>I dont like the raidmax because of the fan noise, otherwise it is fine.

    > Mine were the same. When they worked! Cheap and nasty. Can't skimp on a PSU
    > by the looks - too many corners are cut in the manufactor stage and the
    > last thing you need is for it to got open circuit to 240vac, taking

    I just went off the raidmax.....400watts be buggered........the system
    wont boot up with the 6600GT in it......

    Even reading in the new 7800GTX they only pull 380 odd and this is far
    smaller....

    I decided on the 600watt Enermax noisetaker.....SLI ready....almost silent.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 7, 2005
  13. thingy

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:42:03 +1300, thing2 wrote:

    > I just went off the raidmax.....400watts be buggered........the system
    > wont boot up with the 6600GT in it......
    >
    > Even reading in the new 7800GTX they only pull 380 odd and this is far
    > smaller....

    Telling, isn't it ? Pile of shit those raidmax psu's. Probably could not
    even handle the modest requirements of my system, hence kept overheating
    and then failing.

    Well done on dodging THAT bullet.

    > I decided on the 600watt Enermax noisetaker.....SLI ready....almost silent.

    Hope it's not overkill for you, but atleast you should have a decent psu.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #462310 +(4209)- [X]

    < robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
    < bawss> Right click.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 8/11/2005 12:11:14 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 7, 2005