    I'm using cable select which I think will make the old hard disk
    D:, forcing the CD reader to be E:.

    Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

    Cloud Burst, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Cloud Burst

    SgtMinor Guest

    Cloud Burst wrote:

    > I have a new hard drive. I'd like to install it as the C: drive.
    > This will make my current C: drive the D: drive. I don't want to
    > resinstall the OS on this new drive -- I'll just copy from the
    > old drive and go with what's already there.
    >
    > Before I do this, I'm wondering about the effect this will have
    > on a bunch of things I've already installed that require me to
    > load a CD into my current D: drive to bring up the application.
    > This applies to things like learning CDs, TOPO (maps), etc.
    > These have a lot of binary data on them that make it unfeasible
    > to load completely to hard disk.
    >
    > I'm using cable select which I think will make the old hard disk
    > D:, forcing the CD reader to be E:.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

    If programs go looking for data on the CD drive, they should find it
    even after it moves down a letter.

    Using CS is a good idea, especially if you have a bunch of hard drives
    in removable trays. Whether a drive becomes master or slave depends on
    which connector you use. The cable, in effect, selects which is master.

    The toughest part will be copying all your files. Make sure to defrag
    first and don't forget hidden files!

    BTW, shine.com is a registered domain name:

    Domain Name: SHINE.COM

    Registrant:
    SHINE, INC (SHINE33-DOM)
    28 South Warren St.