    digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.

    Grateful for any thoughts

    Jules
    Jules, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Jules

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jules wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
    > several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
    > designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts support
    > this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
    > changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens on a
    > digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.

    The zoom won't be changed, it's still the same overall range (about 7X),
    but because the camera's sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame, it
    crops part of the frame, and you get the equivalent coverage of a longer
    lens. 1.6 is one of the more common crop factors; it means that a 28mm
    lens will cover the same area as a 45mm would (28 x 1.6) on standard
    35mm film.
    Matt Ion, Dec 4, 2004

  3. "Jules" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
    > several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
    > designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts support
    > this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
    > changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens on

    > digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.
    >
    > Grateful for any thoughts
    >
    > Jules

    The lens will remain a 28~200, digital won't change that. The FOV (Field of
    View) crop is 1.5x with Pentax * ist D and * ist DS. the FOV of 1.5x so the
    lens will look like a 42~300 on a film 35mm SLR. Simply put, because of the
    smaller sensor size you are effectively making an 8x12" print and cutting
    the central 5x7.5" from the middle...
    Darrell Larose, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Jules

    Jules Guest

    thanks mat

    Jules, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Thanks

    Darrell

    Jules

    Jules, Dec 5, 2004
  6. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Darrell,

    Having had a chance to digest your post are you saying that:

    My lens on a 35mm film camera body will have a zoom range of 28-200mm but
    the same lens on the *ist DS camera body would have the same zoom range as a
    42-300mm zoom mounted on a 35mm film camera body and conversely a 42-300mm
    zoom lens specifically designed for use on an *ist DS camera body would have
    the same zoom range as my 28-200mm mounted on the *ist DS camera body?

    Thanks for the advice

    Jules, Dec 5, 2004