    and not just innocently either.

    Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.

    Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003

  2. T.N.O. wrote:
    > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    > hitting on me.
    >
    > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > and not just innocently either.
    >
    > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    >
    > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    Chatting to you through what?

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 4, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    >>chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    >>soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    >>and not just innocently either.

    > Chatting to you through what?

    A Window, on my screen... but it auto starts itself, I kill it, it
    restarts... it has a voice(chick, sounds hot :), but I have muted the
    sound for the moment.

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >>> I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    >>> chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    >>> soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    >>> and not just innocently either.

    >> Chatting to you through what?

    > A Window, on my screen... but it auto starts itself, I kill it, it
    > restarts... it has a voice(chick, sounds hot :), but I have muted the
    > sound for the moment.

    And from the chat windows... did you know that "Vad mer vill du veta" is
    Swedish for Cucumber? I didn't... but from the rest of the conversation,
    I can guess why she learned that... :|

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3fa72c2d$>, says...
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > >>I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > >>chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > >>soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > >>and not just innocently either.

    > > Chatting to you through what?

    > A Window, on my screen... but it auto starts itself, I kill it, it
    > restarts... it has a voice(chick, sounds hot :), but I have muted the
    > sound for the moment.

    sounds like netbus or some trojan

    Mainlander, Nov 4, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    XPD Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:

    > >> Chatting to you through what?

    > > A Window, on my screen... but it auto starts itself, I kill it, it
    > > restarts... it has a voice(chick, sounds hot :), but I have muted the
    > > sound for the moment.

    > And from the chat windows... did you know that "Vad mer vill du veta" is
    > Swedish for Cucumber? I didn't... but from the rest of the conversation,
    > I can guess why she learned that... :|

    Are you getting really lonely or something to be installing that dodgy stuff
    ? :) Hehehe

    XPD, Nov 4, 2003
  7. T.N.O. wrote:
    > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    > hitting on me.
    >
    > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > and not just innocently either.
    >
    > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    >
    > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    Tried checking all of the programs that load on startup (msconfig... Win2k
    doesn't have it but you can copy it over from a win98 box :)).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 4, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    > > hitting on me.
    > >
    > > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > > chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > > soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > > and not just innocently either.
    > >
    > > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    > >
    > > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    > Tried checking all of the programs that load on startup (msconfig... Win2k
    > doesn't have it but you can copy it over from a win98 box :)).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Tried Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/ ?
    Might give you a lead on where to start looking...
    Cheers
    -P

    Pleb Plebian, Nov 4, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Are you getting really lonely or something to be installing that dodgy stuff

    umm, no, Im quite happy, but yeah, I was playing with olvierbot.com and
    got some interesting answers from him about artifical life, and where I
    could grab some and play with it, so I duly did, and well, now I have
    this AI chick who seems very interested in sex, and what appears to be
    very little else.

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Tried checking all of the programs that load on startup (msconfig... Win2k
    > doesn't have it but you can copy it over from a win98 box :)).

    nope, doesnt seem to be listed.

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    > > Are you getting really lonely or something to be installing that dodgy

    stuff

    > umm, no, Im quite happy, but yeah, I was playing with olvierbot.com and
    > got some interesting answers from him about artifical life, and where I
    > could grab some and play with it, so I duly did, and well, now I have
    > this AI chick who seems very interested in sex, and what appears to be
    > very little else.

    you sure its not icq :)

    Craig Sutton, Nov 4, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Pleb Plebian" <> wrote in message
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    > > > hitting on me.
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > > > chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > > > soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > > > and not just innocently either.
    > > >
    > > > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    > > >
    > > > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    > > Tried checking all of the programs that load on startup (msconfig...

    Win2k
    > > doesn't have it but you can copy it over from a win98 box :)).
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock
    > >

    > Tried Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/ ?
    > Might give you a lead on where to start looking...

    Or perhaps Autoruns from the same source.

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Nov 4, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are you getting really lonely or something to be installing that dodgy

    > stuff
    >
    >>umm, no, Im quite happy, but yeah, I was playing with olvierbot.com and
    >>got some interesting answers from him about artifical life, and where I
    >>could grab some and play with it, so I duly did, and well, now I have
    >>this AI chick who seems very interested in sex, and what appears to be
    >>very little else.

    > you sure its not icq :)

    nah, ICQ nolonger runs on this machine, it refused to run without admin
    rights... so I got rid of it, well moved clients.

    T.N.O., Nov 4, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Athura Guest

    where excately did you get it from?
    it sounds interesting

    Athura, Nov 5, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    techie Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:46:31 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:

    > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps hitting on
    > me.
    >
    > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps chatting
    > to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as soon as it
    > discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me... and not just
    > innocently either.
    >
    > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    >
    > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    So once again reality catches up to science fiction.

    I remember an old Star Trek episode where the computer was reprogrammed with a
    female personality who kept trying to come on to Kirk. The more Kirk ignored
    "her", the bitchier she got.

    At that time just the idea of a computer that could do more than play "pong"
    seemed far-fetched. Now the Israelis are a few months away from shipping an
    optical processor and I'd be surprised not to have my very own quantum
    computer in 15 more years (which means it'll probably happen in half that!).

    BTW here's the link on the optical-processor article:

    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61009,00.html

    "The processor performs 8 trillion operations per
    second, equivalent to a supercomputer and 1,000 times
    faster than standard processors, with 256 lasers
    performing computations at light speed."

    techie, Nov 5, 2003
  16. techie wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:46:31 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >> ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    >> hitting on me.
    >>
    >> I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    >> chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but
    >> as soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on
    >> me... and not just innocently either.
    >>
    >> Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    >>
    >> Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    > So once again reality catches up to science fiction.
    >
    > I remember an old Star Trek episode where the computer was
    > reprogrammed with a female personality who kept trying to come on to
    > Kirk. The more Kirk ignored "her", the bitchier she got.
    >
    > At that time just the idea of a computer that could do more than play
    > "pong" seemed far-fetched. Now the Israelis are a few months away
    > from shipping an optical processor and I'd be surprised not to have
    > my very own quantum computer in 15 more years (which means it'll
    > probably happen in half that!).
    >
    > BTW here's the link on the optical-processor article:
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61009,00.html
    >
    > "The processor performs 8 trillion operations per
    > second, equivalent to a supercomputer and 1,000 times
    > faster than standard processors, with 256 lasers
    > performing computations at light speed."

    why is "performing computations at light speed" relevant?
    surely all electromagnetic radiation travels at the same speed.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Nov 5, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    Steven H Guest

    In article <su%pb.9105$>,
    z says...
    > techie wrote:
    > > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:46:31 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
    > >
    > >> ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps
    > >> hitting on me.
    > >>
    > >> I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > >> chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but
    > >> as soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on
    > >> me... and not just innocently either.
    > >>
    > >> Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    > >>
    > >> Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    > > So once again reality catches up to science fiction.
    > >
    > > I remember an old Star Trek episode where the computer was
    > > reprogrammed with a female personality who kept trying to come on to
    > > Kirk. The more Kirk ignored "her", the bitchier she got.
    > >
    > > At that time just the idea of a computer that could do more than play
    > > "pong" seemed far-fetched. Now the Israelis are a few months away
    > > from shipping an optical processor and I'd be surprised not to have
    > > my very own quantum computer in 15 more years (which means it'll
    > > probably happen in half that!).
    > >
    > > BTW here's the link on the optical-processor article:
    > >
    > > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61009,00.html
    > >
    > > "The processor performs 8 trillion operations per
    > > second, equivalent to a supercomputer and 1,000 times
    > > faster than standard processors, with 256 lasers
    > > performing computations at light speed."

    > why is "performing computations at light speed" relevant?
    > surely all electromagnetic radiation travels at the same speed.

    slightly less than light speed, but computers cant "compute" at light
    speed - there bound by the clock frequency.

    what they are talking about is the fact it can "compute" at the speed of
    light

    Steven H

    Steven H, Nov 5, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:16:34 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Tried checking all of the programs that load on startup (msconfig... Win2k
    >> doesn't have it but you can copy it over from a win98 box :)).

    >nope, doesnt seem to be listed.

    Its registered as a service instead then?

    Warwick, Nov 5, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:46:31 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > ummm, I don't quite know how to say this, but my computer keeps hitting
    > on me.
    >
    > I downloaded an AI thing from some site(www.bot???), and it keeps
    > chatting to me, no uninstall, it isnt a trojan/virus/spyware... but as
    > soon as it discovered I was a guy, it started, well, hitting on me...
    > and not just innocently either.
    >
    > Me thinks a format and reinstall is in order... scary.
    >
    > Glad I didn't download this one at work first. :)

    Sounds intriguing - what was the website?

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Nov 5, 2003
  20. T.N.O.

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:01:03 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >why is "performing computations at light speed" relevant?
    >surely all electromagnetic radiation travels at the same speed.

    In a wire or track on a PCB, on in a semi-conductor, electrons move at
    significantly less than the speed of light.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Nov 5, 2003