    They are starting to get down low enough in price that I may consider
    getting one for taking into uni if they can hande all of that and have
    enough room left for lecture slides and the like.

    Squiggle, Aug 1, 2008

  2. In article <4892dd54$>, Squiggle did write:

    > How much room would a 4G EEE have left on the SSD after installing
    > open-office, g++, gimp, and the latest firefox and thunderbird?

    It already comes with OpenOffice, Firefox (not Firefox 3) and Thunderbird
    preinstalled. Out of the box there's 1.4GB free.

    Upgrades will take up more space, because of the way all the preinstalled
    stuff is on a read-only partition.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2008

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4892dd54$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> How much room would a 4G EEE have left on the SSD after installing
    >> open-office, g++, gimp, and the latest firefox and thunderbird?

    > It already comes with OpenOffice, Firefox (not Firefox 3) and Thunderbird
    > preinstalled. Out of the box there's 1.4GB free.
    >
    > Upgrades will take up more space, because of the way all the preinstalled
    > stuff is on a read-only partition.

    The partition is a ROM? or just a write protected partition on the SSD?
    ie, can I blitz the preinstalled stuff and recover useable space? Or
    are there major issues with trying that?

    Actually, the I have a 4GB pen drive anyway, so long as the built in SSD
    has enough room to install all that stuff I can keep the documents on
    the pen drive.

    And i'm assuming I can build the binaries on my desktop and strip out
    everything I dont need to keep the footprints small.

    Squiggle, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Squiggle

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-01, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > How much room would a 4G EEE have left on the SSD after installing
    > open-office, g++, gimp, and the latest firefox and thunderbird?

    I suppose you want to install a gui to control those apps with too :)

    At a guess, that lot should take less than 2GiB
    you could stuck your notes on a flash drive.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 1, 2008
  5. In article <4892e8f8$>, Squiggle did write:

    > The partition is a ROM? or just a write protected partition on the SSD?

    It's mounted read-only, but made to appear as one with the read/write area
    using unionfs.

    > ie, can I blitz the preinstalled stuff and recover useable space? Or
    > are there major issues with trying that?

    The Asus-customized OS includes executables that are hard-coded with
    assumptions about the configuration. You can certainly blow it all away and
    install a third-party OS for the Eee. I think there are a few around by
    now.

    > And i'm assuming I can build the binaries on my desktop and strip out
    > everything I dont need to keep the footprints small.

    Yup, that should work.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2008
  6. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4892e8f8$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> The partition is a ROM? or just a write protected partition on the SSD?

    > It's mounted read-only, but made to appear as one with the read/write area
    > using unionfs.
    >
    >> ie, can I blitz the preinstalled stuff and recover useable space? Or
    >> are there major issues with trying that?

    > The Asus-customized OS includes executables that are hard-coded with
    > assumptions about the configuration. You can certainly blow it all away and
    > install a third-party OS for the Eee. I think there are a few around by
    > now.
    >
    >> And i'm assuming I can build the binaries on my desktop and strip out
    >> everything I dont need to keep the footprints small.

    > Yup, that should work.

    thanks, i'll keep my eye on prices and bank balance and if the two
    should coincide I might buy myself a new gadget.

    Squiggle, Aug 1, 2008
  7. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> How much room would a 4G EEE have left on the SSD after installing
    >> open-office, g++, gimp, and the latest firefox and thunderbird?
    >>
    >> They are starting to get down low enough in price that I may consider
    >> getting one for taking into uni if they can hande all of that and have
    >> enough room left for lecture slides and the like.

    > Well, if you have a bigger budget I've seen this little laptop in
    > action. Very impressed with it. Comes with Vista Basic so you can just
    > format it if you like
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4893a2ad09b57342273fc0a87f3b0727/Product/View/XC5872

    Cheers for the suggestion, but thats close to 3 times the price of a 4g
    EEE, and for the same money I could get a Tosh Satalite Pro L300* with a
    1.7Ghz Pentium Dual-Core Mobile. Nowhere near as portable, but might
    even suffice as a desktop replacement for most of my uni work for the
    next few years.

    * http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=9077

    Squiggle, Aug 2, 2008
  8. Squiggle

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:

    > Not sure what "g++" is

    C++ compiler, GNU version, I believe.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 2, 2008
  9. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-01, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > How much room would a 4G EEE have left on the SSD after installing
    > open-office, g++, gimp, and the latest firefox and thunderbird?
    >
    > They are starting to get down low enough in price that I may consider
    > getting one for taking into uni if they can hande all of that and have
    > enough room left for lecture slides and the like.

    One sticks in a 4GB, or bigger, USB stick to a port on it and the expansion
    is done

    Gordon, Aug 2, 2008
  10. Squiggle

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:13:54 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Freesias wrote:
    >>> Not sure what "g++" is
    >>>

    >> C++ compiler, GNU version, I believe.

    > I thought that the GNU Compiler Collection (previously known as GNU C
    > Compiler) was generally known as GCC.

    'man gcc' or 'man g++'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 2, 2008
  11. In article <>, Gordon did write:

    > One sticks in a 4GB, or bigger, USB stick to a port on it and the
    > expansion is done

    But that ties up the SD card slot. I see this company offering upgrades for
    the internal SSD
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2008/07/31/buffalo-selling-upgradeees-for-subnotebook-ssd>.
    Is this sort of thing available in NZ?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2008
  12. In article <4893f06e$>, thing did write:

    > I had a brief look at them last week, the one in DSE that I liked was
    > the XP one....as its spec was better...

    No it isn't. You're thinking of the more-expensive 900 model. The XP version
    has 12GiB of storage, the Linux version 20GiB.

    That's going to be replaced by the Atom-based 901 model some point soon.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2008
  13. In article <1217668301.624863@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > I have not understood why multiple SDHC slots dont make an apperance on
    > things like that.

    Apparently the Acer Aspire One has two
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/16/eb_acer_aspire_one/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2008
  14. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Squiggle" typed:

    [snip]

    > Actually, the I have a 4GB pen drive anyway, so long as the built in
    > SSD has enough room to install all that stuff I can keep the
    > documents on the pen drive.

    That's exactly what I would do, I nearly replied asking why you'd save to
    the built-in SSD at all with a 4GB model.

    :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2008