    little as $398), I suppose if I got another 12 months' use out of it before
    it either broke down or I got fed up of it, I can safely claim I got my
    money's worth...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 5, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 5, 11:15 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > My little Asus Eee 701 is just about one year and three weeks old.

    If someone could say what is needed to use the Eee for car navigation,
    and it's cheap enough, they'd sell like hot cakes. I assume it needs a
    USB device and some software.
    Matty F, Dec 6, 2008

  3. In message
    <>, Matty F

    <http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=eee+gps>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 6, 8:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Matty F
    > wrote:
    >
    > > If someone could say what is needed to use the Eee for car navigation,
    > > and it's cheap enough, they'd sell like hot cakes. I assume it needs a
    > > USB device and some software.

    > <http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=eee+gps>

    I've been asked by the non-technical owner of an Eee. Those sites say
    they have all kinds of problems, and where is the device and software
    available in a shop in NZ?
    Matty F, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:05:12 -0800 (PST)
    Matty F <> wrote:

    > On Dec 6, 8:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > In message
    > > <>,
    > > Matty F wrote:
    > >
    > > > If someone could say what is needed to use the Eee for car
    > > > navigation, and it's cheap enough, they'd sell like hot cakes. I
    > > > assume it needs a USB device and some software.

    > > <http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=eee+gps>

    > I've been asked by the non-technical owner of an Eee. Those sites say
    > they have all kinds of problems, and where is the device and software
    > available in a shop in NZ?

    Hi
    You should be able to use a garmin device, nRoute and the Garmin NZ
    maps.

    I've just purchase a bluetooth one to try out (hasn't arrived
    yet) but currently have a Nuvi 260w which can also interface by using a
    few extra keypresses and USB cable.

    Note, I'm US based, using linux and free gps (gpsd and TangoGPS)
    programs and maps at the moment,

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    Malcolm, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > My little Asus Eee 701 is just about one year and three weeks old. I mention
    > this because, this evening, on top of the mosquito whine from its fan, I
    > noticed a squeaking noise, so I wonder if the fan bearing hasn't become
    > worn. Of course, you'd only hear either noise in a quiet room.

    In my experience, when there is a squeaking noise, it's usually the mouse.
    Gib Bogle, Dec 7, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 6, 8:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Matty F
    > wrote:
    >
    > > If someone could say what is needed to use the Eee for car navigation,
    > > and it's cheap enough, they'd sell like hot cakes. I assume it needs a
    > > USB device and some software.

    > <http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=eee+gps>

    Few Linux options for NZ maps, I'm afraid. Better options if running
    XP.
    JohnO, Dec 7, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 7, 4:08 am, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:05:12 -0800 (PST)
    >

    > Matty F <> wrote:
    > > On Dec 6, 8:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > > In message
    > > > <>,

    > > > <http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=eee+gps>

    > > I've been asked by the non-technical owner of an Eee. Those sites say
    > > they have all kinds of problems, and where is the device and software
    > > available in a shop in NZ?

    > Hi
    > You should be able to use a garmin device, nRoute and the Garmin NZ
    > maps.

    .... only if running XP, right? Or does it work under Wine?

    > I've just purchase a bluetooth one to try out (hasn't arrived
    > yet) but currently have a Nuvi 260w which can also interface by using a
    > few extra keypresses and USB cable.

    I've had some success with a couple of Linux gps driving apps but they
    are OSM based and the NZ OSM coverage was unusable last time I looked.

    JohnO, Dec 7, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:10:15 -0800 (PST)
    JohnO <> wrote:

    > On Dec 7, 4:08 am, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:05:12 -0800 (PST)
    > >

    > > Matty F <> wrote:

    > > > I've been asked by the non-technical owner of an Eee. Those sites
    > > > say they have all kinds of problems, and where is the device and
    > > > software available in a shop in NZ?

    > > Hi
    > > You should be able to use a garmin device, nRoute and the Garmin NZ
    > > maps.

    > ... only if running XP, right? Or does it work under Wine?

    Yes, XP if you just get a puck or bluetooth. You can download nRoute
    and use the map either purchased separately or with the unit (just make
    sure it's the cd and not a sd card).

    I use crossover (was a free download the other week) with Mapsource,
    works fine for NT and Topo maps. However I don't use the
    upload/download just extract the SD card and copy to and from that.

    nRoute doesn't like the nuvi 260w in XP either. I've used gpsbabel and
    DNR Garmin fine in XP.
    <http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html>

    With DNR garmin you can save the track and upload to google or other
    GIS applications (I've found arc view to be good).

    > > I've just purchase a bluetooth one to try out (hasn't arrived
    > > yet) but currently have a Nuvi 260w which can also interface by
    > > using a few extra keypresses and USB cable.

    > I've had some success with a couple of Linux gps driving apps but they
    > are OSM based and the NZ OSM coverage was unusable last time I looked.

    Have a look here;
    <http://www.openstreetmap.org/>

    Malcolm, Dec 8, 2008
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 8, 1:28 pm, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:10:15 -0800 (PST)
    >

    > JohnO <> wrote:
    > > On Dec 7, 4:08 am, Malcolm <> wrote:

    > > > Hi
    > > > You should be able to use a garmin device, nRoute and the Garmin NZ
    > > > maps.

    > > ... only if running XP, right? Or does it work under Wine?

    > Yes, XP if you just get a puck or bluetooth. You can download nRoute
    > and use the map either purchased separately or with the unit (just make
    > sure it's the cd and not a sd card).

    I got a tiny bluetooth usb unit like this: I think it was only about
    12 quid in the UK.
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/adapters/tiny-bluetooth-adapter-is-mostly-usb-smallest-ever-293856.php

    But plenty of folks are modding any old BT internally by simply
    soldering 3 wires onto BT headers in the mobo.

    > I use crossover (was a free download the other week) with Mapsource,
    > works fine for NT and Topo maps. However I don't use the
    > upload/download just extract the SD card and copy to and from that.
    >
    > nRoute doesn't like the nuvi 260w in XP either. I've used gpsbabel and
    > DNR Garmin fine in XP.
    > <http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin...>
    >
    > With DNR garmin you can save the track and upload to google or other
    > GIS applications (I've found arc view to be good).
    >

    > > > I've just purchase a bluetooth one to try out (hasn't arrived
    > > > yet) but currently have a Nuvi 260w which can also interface by
    > > > using a few extra keypresses and USB cable.

    > > I've had some success with a couple of Linux gps driving apps but they
    > > are OSM based and the NZ OSM coverage was unusable last time I looked.

    > Have a look here;
    > <http://www.openstreetmap.org/>

    It's certainly getting better, but still very little coverage outside
    of Auckland city and what there is is often out of date. I hope they
    get it sorted as there are some nice linux based packages out there
    suitable for the EeePC.

    JohnO, Dec 8, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    bambam Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ghauvg
    $srp$:

    > Given I
    > only paid $599 for it (and Dick Smith are now offering that model for as
    > little as $398)

    $299 now.

    --
    'A man's wealth is measured by what he doesn't need.' - H. D. Thoreau
    bambam, Dec 9, 2008