education path advice

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Lisa Go, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Lisa Go

    Lisa Go Guest

    Hi MVPs,
    I am writing in this newsgroup in hopes of getting some
    advice because I want it from you, the MVP's. I am unsure
    if this is the best place to post this...but here goes.

    I am considering a career change and have for years been
    involved with computers in my current career in public
    education.

    I was reading about the Microsoft certifications and
    exploring different tech career training centers/schools
    etc. Being an educator myself, I know that some training
    programs/classes etc. are worthless in the "real world"
    for substantial positions. So...my questions are these:

    What are employers requiring for significant positions in
    this industry?
    How much is my personal experience worth, or is it like
    most careers today, without the degree there is no foot in
    the door?
    What are the chances of making a good living being self-
    employed in this industry? i.e.-consulting, instructing,
    doing website development, software development etc.
    What do you think are the best career paths in the tech
    industry today?
    How much can I use my experience in education to
    positively infuence my chances in this industry?

    I don't want to waste my time with some on-line training
    etc. if I won't be taken seriously without a degree.
    Should I just get another degree from an accredited
    university or....?

    I would appreciate your advice because you have never
    steered me wrong before!

    Thanks again and again,
    Lisa

    Lisa Go, Aug 10, 2004