    Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
    is sure to give, who would have a better chance???

    Thank You...
    Phil, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Phil

    Grog in Ohio Guest

    The graduate from the distinguished college. It's VERY unlikely that an
    employer has a sophisticated enough pre-employment testing system to
    separate the two. Credentials do count.

    Fact of life... Podunk U is not as esteemed as Harvard. Life's not fair but
    who said it was? Yes, idiots can and do graduate from Ivy League colleges
    (I'm not going to mention a certain US president), but there's a reason
    people want that sheepskin from such places.

    Grog

    Grog in Ohio, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Phil

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
    > Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
    > is sure to give, who would have a better chance???

    All things being equal, except for college "status" (which they NEVER
    are....no things are ever equal...there are too many intangibles when it
    comes to prospective employment), I'd say the higher status graduate has the
    upper hand. Although, thankfully, not by much. My main reason for this, is
    higher status universities have higher academic standards than your
    run-of-the-mill CC. This means that, on average, your University grad is
    smarter than your CC grad. And most CC's are 2 year programs. Universities
    are usually 4. More years = more classes = more training. Of course, this is
    NOT always the case. There are plenty of CC grads who are doing just fine in
    the field. For your first job, college status may be an issue, but after
    that, it's all about track record - employment history. (and, obviously,
    what you actually know)

    My .02

    KB
    Ken Briscoe, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Phil

    Zenner Guest

    What is the employer paying, what is the expected turnover rate, how much
    "extra" unrelated crap is the person expected to do? Finally, how large is
    the shop? As a hiring manager you should make some decisions as to how your
    prospective employee will fit the culture of your company. So, if both were
    equally qualified, the instinct of the supervisor should be the deciding
    factor.

    If it were a corporate job, the edge would probably go to the College grad..
    In a mid-size company, a toss up. In a smaller, but established company,
    even...maybe a slight edge to the CC guy, based probable turn over and
    flexibility.
    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > I have had a debate on the following and would like some
    > feedback by individuals who are willing to post their
    > opinions:
    >
    > Two gradutes. One goes to a somewhat distinguished college
    > and one goes to a local community college. Both go for the
    > same technical field. Both have no experience.
    >
    > The graduated who went through community college knows a
    > great deal more about the study than the graduated who
    > went to the distinguished college.
    >
    > They both go for the same Entry Level technical position.
    > Based on college level "Status" and testing the employer
    > is sure to give, who would have a better chance???
    >
    > Thank You...

    ---
    Zenner, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Having attended classes at three universities, one 4-year college, and two
    community colleges, I would only partially agree with this statement. I
    wouldn't say that a university grad is 'smarter' than a CC grad, however, I
    would say that a university grad is more capable than a CC grad. Also, I
    wouldn't say that the university setting provides more training vs a
    community college. University and academic college classes are more on the
    theoretical, non-applied level, whereas CC courses are typically presented
    in an application context. Thus, the CC grad would potentially have more
    practical capabilities upon graduation, whereas the university grad has more
    of a foundation in how to learn new concepts and ideas, how to solve
    nebulous, narrowly defined problems, and how to conduct research.

    I would have to say that it would depend on the forseen advancement of the
    individual within the firm. If it is a purely technical, hands on field in
    which only on-the-job technical skills are required, requiring relatively
    narrowly defined new skill development, then it would be a toss up on salary
    requirements. If the person is hired for potential advancement within the
    firm, possibly taking on management responsibilities, etc., then I would
    have to favor a applicant from a university background.

    --
    Thanks,
    Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

    Martin Schmid, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Phil

    Bill Guest

    Yeah, I can't believe Clinton got through law school.

    Bill, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Phil

    Eric Guest

    Answer: the one with the best problem solving skills and
    the most dedication to the task (hence the level of
    education).

    Eric, Oct 17, 2003