    'I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.'
    Or, 'I think where I cannot say that I am.'
    Jacques Lacan

    Fludge, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Fludge

    Night_Seer Guest

    Fludge wrote:
    > As you may or may not remember, I've posted a lot on here in order to
    > get help with my parent's machine because they keep getting into
    > difficulties due to their intense naivity when it comes to computers.
    > I thought, what with Christmas n'all, I could get them a book or
    > something to guide them through the mists, and it might be handy for
    > me too. They're generally fairly clueless about basic maintenance,
    > proceedures, internet security, virus, firewalls, the hole thing.
    > They kind of learn how to do something as and when they need to, but
    > they're forever getting caught out opening unauthorised email
    > attachments and just generally not udnerstanding how files, folders
    > etc etc work. Is there a decent title you can recommend that would
    > give them a good basic education? Thanks.

    Look into the "for dummies" or "idiots guide to" series, as I hear they
    are decent for...well...dummies :)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Fludge

    Anna N. Amis Guest

    Fludge <> wrote in message
    > As you may or may not remember, I've posted a lot on here in order to get
    > help with my parent's machine because they keep getting into difficulties
    > due to their intense naivity when it comes to computers. I thought, what
    > with Christmas n'all, I could get them a book or something to guide them
    > through the mists, and it might be handy for me too. They're generally
    > fairly clueless about basic maintenance, proceedures, internet security,
    > virus, firewalls, the hole thing. They kind of learn how to do something

    as
    > and when they need to, but they're forever getting caught out opening
    > unauthorised email attachments and just generally not udnerstanding how
    > files, folders etc etc work. Is there a decent title you can recommend

    that
    > would give them a good basic education? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > 'I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.'
    > Or, 'I think where I cannot say that I am.'
    > Jacques Lacan

    Up Grading and Reparing PCs by Scott Muller. It is a large book, but it is
    usefull for the beginner as well as the advanced user. It's table of
    contents makes it easy to find just the info you need and it is written in
    easy to understand language.

    Anna N. Amis, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Fludge

    Netuser 58 Guest

    Fludge,
    Have them go to this link for a good start:

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Netuser 58

    Netuser 58, Dec 18, 2003