EDT [European Deaf Telephone] is the TDD protocol used in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radium, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Hi:

    EDT [European Deaf Telephone] is the TDD protocol used in Switzerland.
    Where can I find technical information about the EDT? Also, I would
    like to hear some tones resulting from the remote EDTs located in
    Swizterland. I live in USA, so if I dial an EDT number to Switzerland,
    I will hear both the EDT tones as well as the tones resulting from
    negotiations among international telephone exchanges. Those textphone
    and international exchange tones give me an eerie feeling which I
    enjoy. I get a feeling of pleasant fear. Its give me a psychedelic
    sensation. I like it. The tones are scary yet fun -- much like virtual
    reality, a roller-coaster, or a trip to outer space!

    If I could find accurate recording of those tones [tones from remote
    Swiss EDTs and international exchange negotiations] on a website in
    Wave format and at least 44.1 khz sample rate and 16-bit, then I would
    just download those tones and listen. Unfortunately, no internet site
    has recordings of those tones.

    Thanks,

    Radium

    Radium, Sep 23, 2006

  2. "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > EDT [European Deaf Telephone] is the TDD protocol used in Switzerland.
    > Where can I find technical information about the EDT? Also, I would
    > like to hear some tones resulting from the remote EDTs located in
    > Swizterland. I live in USA, so if I dial an EDT number to Switzerland,
    > I will hear both the EDT tones as well as the tones resulting from
    > negotiations among international telephone exchanges. Those textphone
    > and international exchange tones give me an eerie feeling which I
    > enjoy. I get a feeling of pleasant fear. Its give me a psychedelic
    > sensation. I like it. The tones are scary yet fun -- much like virtual
    > reality, a roller-coaster, or a trip to outer space!
    >
    > If I could find accurate recording of those tones [tones from remote
    > Swiss EDTs and international exchange negotiations] on a website in
    > Wave format and at least 44.1 khz sample rate and 16-bit, then I would
    > just download those tones and listen. Unfortunately, no internet site
    > has recordings of those tones.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Radium

    It's a long time since I had anything to do with this but the 'normal'
    standards were/are Baudot, CCITT and EDTN. There are a number of
    manufacturers of "TypeTalk" equipment and there are some proprietary
    extras - but most systems will interwork. I also doubt that you are hearing
    any tone negotiation between international exchanges, The in band signalling
    systems CCITT5 (AC10), CCITT4, CCITT R2 and CCITT R2D were all phased out
    years ago as CCITT 7 came in. CCITT (now ETSI)specifications are available
    free from the ETSI web site - but you may have trouble finding what you
    want.

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Peter Andrews wrote:
    > "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > EDT [European Deaf Telephone] is the TDD protocol used in Switzerland.
    > > Where can I find technical information about the EDT? Also, I would
    > > like to hear some tones resulting from the remote EDTs located in
    > > Swizterland. I live in USA, so if I dial an EDT number to Switzerland,
    > > I will hear both the EDT tones as well as the tones resulting from
    > > negotiations among international telephone exchanges. Those textphone
    > > and international exchange tones give me an eerie feeling which I
    > > enjoy. I get a feeling of pleasant fear. Its give me a psychedelic
    > > sensation. I like it. The tones are scary yet fun -- much like virtual
    > > reality, a roller-coaster, or a trip to outer space!
    > >
    > > If I could find accurate recording of those tones [tones from remote
    > > Swiss EDTs and international exchange negotiations] on a website in
    > > Wave format and at least 44.1 khz sample rate and 16-bit, then I would
    > > just download those tones and listen. Unfortunately, no internet site
    > > has recordings of those tones.
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Radium
    > >

    > It's a long time since I had anything to do with this but the 'normal'
    > standards were/are Baudot, CCITT and EDTN.

    What does ETDN stand for?

    > There are a number of
    > manufacturers of "TypeTalk" equipment and there are some proprietary
    > extras - but most systems will interwork.

    Okay.

    > I also doubt that you are hearing
    > any tone negotiation between international exchanges,

    Try dialing any international number and you'll know what I'm talking
    about.

    > The in band signalling
    > systems CCITT5 (AC10), CCITT4, CCITT R2 and CCITT R2D were all phased out
    > years ago as CCITT 7 came in. CCITT (now ETSI)specifications are available
    > free from the ETSI web site - but you may have trouble finding what you
    > want.

    So CCITT was replaced by ETSI?

    Radium, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Radium