    comment.
    An interesting technical challenge for a wet and windy Sunday.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Oct 8, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have noticed that after using and closing eDonkey2000 there is still data
    > transfers ocurring.
    > I have used various programs and utilities, including from Winternals, to
    > try and find the process that is running and doing this but so far with no
    > success.
    > I have found that I need to go offline for a significant period of time to
    > kill this situation from continuing apon returning online.
    > I am hoping that someone more techy than I, would like to investigate and
    > comment.
    > An interesting technical challenge for a wet and windy Sunday.
    > Brian Tozer

    Your machine has being advertising its presence on the internet with a service,
    other machines are still trying to connect into you and connect to the edonkey
    server which is no longer running.

    Richard, Oct 8, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    David Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have noticed that after using and closing eDonkey2000 there is still data
    > transfers ocurring.
    > I have used various programs and utilities, including from Winternals, to
    > try and find the process that is running and doing this but so far with no
    > success.
    > I have found that I need to go offline for a significant period of time to
    > kill this situation from continuing apon returning online.
    > I am hoping that someone more techy than I, would like to investigate and
    > comment.
    > An interesting technical challenge for a wet and windy Sunday.
    > Brian Tozer

    The ed2k server gives your machines IP and port to others interested in
    the files you have, however when you disconnect from the server they
    will have no idea you left, it would use far too much bandwith for the
    server to tell everyone everytime a client left. Also, if you are using
    Kademlia or Overnet, your machine will be a node in a massive
    distributed network, and other nodes will keep sending you UDP packets.
    If this really concerns you, which it shouldnt, just reboot your
    modem/router/whatever to get a new IP.

    David, Oct 8, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Many thanks to you both for clearing that up for me.
    I can see now what is going on.
    I was also concerned at all the extra traffic counting towards my monthly
    allocation as my PC seems to be replying to all of the pointless traffic.
    I wonder if there is a way of forcing an IP change without doing a PC
    restart, or unplugging and plugging in again the USB ADSL modem?
    Thanks again.

    KiwiBrian, Oct 9, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    David Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > Many thanks to you both for clearing that up for me.
    > I can see now what is going on.
    > I was also concerned at all the extra traffic counting towards my monthly
    > allocation as my PC seems to be replying to all of the pointless traffic.
    > I wonder if there is a way of forcing an IP change without doing a PC
    > restart, or unplugging and plugging in again the USB ADSL modem?
    > Thanks again.

    There sure is, "ipconfig /renew". I can't verify that this works on
    ADSL, not having a USB modem, but it gets me a new ip on my LAN.

    David, Oct 10, 2005