    4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 14, 2005

  2. "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    > camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    > IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    > (preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    > following basic operations on WMV files please:
    >
    > 1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    > versa
    >
    > 2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    >
    > 3) Edit the soundtrack
    >
    > 4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Windows Movie Maker - which is part of Windows XP.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:45:02 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    >camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    >IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    >(preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    >following basic operations on WMV files please:
    >
    >1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    >versa
    >
    >2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    >
    >3) Edit the soundtrack
    >
    >4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.

    http://www.virtualdub.org/
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 14, 2005
  4. "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    >> camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    >> IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    >> (preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    >> following basic operations on WMV files please:
    >>
    >> 1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    >> versa
    >>
    >> 2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    >>
    >> 3) Edit the soundtrack
    >>
    >> 4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, West Sussex, UK

    >Windows Movie Maker - which is part of Windows XP.

    Thanks - never noticed the existence of that before!

    Looks a bit daunting at first sight, as I've never edited a move
    before. I learn best by doing, so are there any tutorials that step
    newcomers through the *very* basic steps please?

    Also, maybe I have too much other stuff running at the moment, but all
    actions in WMM are extremely slow. I'll reboot and try again...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >"Secret Squiddle" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>>I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    >>> camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    >>> IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    >>> (preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    >>> following basic operations on WMV files please:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    >>> versa
    >>>
    >>> 2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Edit the soundtrack
    >>>
    >>> 4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Terry, West Sussex, UK

    >>Windows Movie Maker - which is part of Windows XP.

    >Thanks - never noticed the existence of that before!
    >
    >Looks a bit daunting at first sight, as I've never edited a move
    >before. I learn best by doing, so are there any tutorials that step
    >newcomers through the *very* basic steps please?
    >
    >Also, maybe I have too much other stuff running at the moment, but all
    >actions in WMM are extremely slow. I'll reboot and try again...

    Is it possible to rotate the MPG movie with WMM please? So far can't
    find such a facility. Must be a fairly common requirement, given all
    the digicam movies that must be taken in portrait (vertical) mode?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:03:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Secret Squiddle" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>>Windows Movie Maker - which is part of Windows XP.

    >>Thanks - never noticed the existence of that before!
    >>
    >>Looks a bit daunting at first sight, as I've never edited a move
    >>before. I learn best by doing, so are there any tutorials that step
    >>newcomers through the *very* basic steps please?
    >>
    >>Also, maybe I have too much other stuff running at the moment, but all
    >>actions in WMM are extremely slow. I'll reboot and try again...

    >Is it possible to rotate the MPG movie with WMM please? So far can't
    >find such a facility. Must be a fairly common requirement, given all
    >the digicam movies that must be taken in portrait (vertical) mode?

    Yes, it is.
    Look in the Edit Movie part, under View Video Effects.
    A hint: look at all the program will do. It's easy to miss certain
    effects unless you look at all that's available.
    Another hint: the Help is horrible. "Rotate" isn't found at all, even
    though rotation is possible. :-(

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Bill Funk <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:03:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >>>Thanks - never noticed the existence of that before!
    >>>
    >>>Looks a bit daunting at first sight, as I've never edited a move
    >>>before. I learn best by doing, so are there any tutorials that step
    >>>newcomers through the *very* basic steps please?
    >>>
    >>>Also, maybe I have too much other stuff running at the moment, but all
    >>>actions in WMM are extremely slow. I'll reboot and try again...

    >>Is it possible to rotate the MPG movie with WMM please? So far can't
    >>find such a facility. Must be a fairly common requirement, given all
    >>the digicam movies that must be taken in portrait (vertical) mode?

    >Yes, it is.
    >Look in the Edit Movie part, under View Video Effects.
    >A hint: look at all the program will do. It's easy to miss certain
    >effects unless you look at all that's available.
    >Another hint: the Help is horrible. "Rotate" isn't found at all, even
    >though rotation is possible. :-(

    Thanks, Bill - but I cannot find that feature. I have version
    1.1.2427.1, and I suspect you may be talking about 2.0 or 2.1? From
    googling, I gather I cannot download 2.1 without SP2. I don't want
    SP2, not yet anyway, as it caused serious problems when I last tried
    upgrading. Also, so far I have not been able to find a download for
    2.0. Does anyone know where I can get it please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:03:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Is it possible to rotate the MPG movie with WMM please? So far can't
    >>>find such a facility. Must be a fairly common requirement, given all
    >>>the digicam movies that must be taken in portrait (vertical) mode?

    >>Yes, it is.
    >>Look in the Edit Movie part, under View Video Effects.
    >>A hint: look at all the program will do. It's easy to miss certain
    >>effects unless you look at all that's available.
    >>Another hint: the Help is horrible. "Rotate" isn't found at all, even
    >>though rotation is possible. :-(

    >Thanks, Bill - but I cannot find that feature. I have version
    >1.1.2427.1, and I suspect you may be talking about 2.0 or 2.1? From
    >googling, I gather I cannot download 2.1 without SP2. I don't want
    >SP2, not yet anyway, as it caused serious problems when I last tried
    >upgrading. Also, so far I have not been able to find a download for
    >2.0. Does anyone know where I can get it please?

    OK, now found, downloaded and installed 2.0. Almost unrecognisable
    compared to 1.1! Happily now also found that rotate feature thanks.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Frank ess Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Funk <> wrote:

    >>> Yes, it is.
    >>> Look in the Edit Movie part, under View Video Effects.
    >>> A hint: look at all the program will do. It's easy to miss certain
    >>> effects unless you look at all that's available.
    >>> Another hint: the Help is horrible. "Rotate" isn't found at all,
    >>> even though rotation is possible. :-(

    >> Thanks, Bill - but I cannot find that feature. I have version
    >> 1.1.2427.1, and I suspect you may be talking about 2.0 or 2.1? From
    >> googling, I gather I cannot download 2.1 without SP2. I don't want
    >> SP2, not yet anyway, as it caused serious problems when I last
    >> tried
    >> upgrading. Also, so far I have not been able to find a download for
    >> 2.0. Does anyone know where I can get it please?

    > OK, now found, downloaded and installed 2.0. Almost unrecognisable
    > compared to 1.1! Happily now also found that rotate feature thanks.

    For future reference: Quicktime does that stuff, too.

    Frank ess, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:45:21 -0400, Ed Ruf <> wrote:

    > >I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    > >camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    > >IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    > >(preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    > >following basic operations on WMV files please:
    > >
    > >1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    > >versa
    > >
    > >2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    > >
    > >3) Edit the soundtrack
    > >
    > >4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.

    > http://www.virtualdub.org/

    Only old versions. Micro$oft threatened to sue if .wmv capability wasn't removed from the program.

    , Sep 14, 2005
  11. "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Bill - but I cannot find that feature. I have version
    >>> 1.1.2427.1, and I suspect you may be talking about 2.0 or 2.1? From
    >>> googling, I gather I cannot download 2.1 without SP2. I don't want
    >>> SP2, not yet anyway, as it caused serious problems when I last
    >>> tried
    >>> upgrading. Also, so far I have not been able to find a download for
    >>> 2.0. Does anyone know where I can get it please?

    >> OK, now found, downloaded and installed 2.0. Almost unrecognisable
    >> compared to 1.1! Happily now also found that rotate feature thanks.

    >For future reference: Quicktime does that stuff, too.

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    Did you see my subsequent post about the rotation distorting
    proportions please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 15, 2005
  12. Terry Pinnell

    Frank ess Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    <Snippage has occurred>

    >> For future reference: Quicktime does that stuff, too.

    > Thanks, I'll try that.
    >
    > Did you see my subsequent post about the rotation distorting
    > proportions please?

    Yes. The few I've rotated in Quicktime have appeared normally
    proportioned in my environment.

    I believe it takes the pay-for version to accomplish this.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 15, 2005
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:22:59 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:45:21 -0400, Ed Ruf <> wrote:
    >
    >> >I make the occasional brief WMV file using 'movie' mode of my digital
    >> >camera. These play on my PC using WMP (or, with difficulties,
    >> >IrfanView). Can anyone please recommend some simple-to-use software
    >> >(preferably freeware) that will let me perform some or all of the
    >> >following basic operations on WMV files please:
    >> >
    >> >1) Change the orientation, i.e. from landscape to portrait or vice
    >> >versa
    >> >
    >> >2) Remove unwanted sections, at least from start or beginning.
    >> >
    >> >3) Edit the soundtrack
    >> >
    >> >4) Convert the WMV to some more universal format like MPG.

    >> http://www.virtualdub.org/

    >Only old versions. Micro$oft threatened to sue if .wmv capability wasn't removed from the program.

    OK, how about Radtools?

    Ed Ruf, Sep 15, 2005
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >>

    > <Snippage has occurred>
    >
    >>> For future reference: Quicktime does that stuff, too.

    >> Thanks, I'll try that.
    >>
    >> Did you see my subsequent post about the rotation distorting
    >> proportions please?

    > Yes. The few I've rotated in Quicktime have appeared normally
    > proportioned in my environment.
    >
    > I believe it takes the pay-for version to accomplish this.

    Free QuickTime enables the player only, although the "pro" capability is
    there. Activating requires only entering a valid serial number.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0537-2, 09/16/2005
    Tested on: 9/16/2005 11:35:57 PM

    Matt Ion, Sep 17, 2005