Editing SAM files and Password Recovery.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lordmofisto, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Alright, I was installing Windows XP pro on my computer I just built. During
    the process, which was taking forever, I got up and went to watch TV. It did
    its thing, and then I heard the computer reset. I figured at some point it
    would, so I came back, it was sitting at the Logon on Screen with
    Administrator logon and asking for a password. Well, obviously I didn't type
    one. I have tried case sensitive versions of the following: password, admin,
    help, god, death, sex, administrator, crack, blank. None of which worked. So
    I went searching. I looked up a couple of tutorials on the internet on how
    to fix this problem. Microsoft says I have to have a password reset disk. I
    can't do this because I don't have access to the computer from the get go. I
    can restore a previous setting because there are none. I found a program
    called NTpasswrd which is a bootable linux CD that edits the SAM file where
    the Hash information for the passwords is kept. I have tried it several
    times and it doesn't work. All of the prompts are correct accounding to the
    websites FAQ. It still shows that I can't log in. All the passwords I try
    are incorrect. It doesn't offer me a hint either. I have tried enabling the
    guest account and stuff but nothing is working.

    I have no idea where to proceed from here. As far as I have experienced,
    this has never happened to me. I have installed versions of XP on like 6
    computers and this is a first. Now the only thing that changed was that this
    computer is not going to have access to the internet, its a childs paper
    writting computer for school, so I made a slipstreamed CD of Windows XP pro
    with SP2 installed. After making like 15 coasters I got that to work. So
    that could be my problem, but that still doesn't tell me how to fix it.

    Does anyone have any alternatives.

    Lordmofisto, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Lordmofisto

    Guest

    "Lordmofisto" <> wrote:

    >I have tried case sensitive versions of the following: password, admin,
    >help, god, death, sex, administrator, crack, blank. None of which worked.

    Have you tried just hitting the enter key?
    If you didn't put in a password, it's just enter...
    --
    http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/

    , Dec 22, 2006

  3. Lordmofisto

    Danechip Guest

    Format it and start over without the cutting out stuff, and sit with it this
    time ?

    Danechip, Dec 22, 2006
  4. Lordmofisto

    Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 04:38:46 GMT, "Lordmofisto"
    <> wrote:

    >snipped
    >I found a program
    >called NTpasswrd which is a bootable linux CD that edits the SAM file where
    >the Hash information for the passwords is kept. I have tried it several
    >times and it doesn't work. All of the prompts are correct accounding to the
    >websites FAQ. It still shows that I can't log in. All the passwords I try
    >are incorrect. It doesn't offer me a hint either. I have tried enabling the
    >guest account and stuff but nothing is working.
    >
    >snipped

    Lordmofisto,

    Use the NTpasswrd CD and delete the password, that always worked for
    me in the past.

    regards

    nemo2

    , Dec 22, 2006
  5. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    I did try doing that, I tried blanking the password two times, I tried it
    once without skipping the CHKDSK after restarting and onces by skipping it.
    I also tried setting a password for it, both ways. Nothing works. In fact as
    near as I can tell it doesn't even do anything, because my understanding of
    NTPasswrd is that it can also reset the failed logon attempts but it doesn't
    do that either. I have like 430 attempts and 0 logons.

    Lordmofisto, Dec 22, 2006
  6. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Yeah thats pretty much all I have left. Damn hate to do it. Its a pentium
    MMX 233 with 128mb of memory so it takes forever and a day. Hence why I left
    it in the first place.

    Lordmofisto, Dec 22, 2006
  7. Lordmofisto

    Lordmofisto Guest

    Tried that first thing. Doesn't work. But I think I am gonna format and
    reinstall. Just not put SP2 on it and do the straight up non slipstreamed
    version.

    Lordmofisto, Dec 22, 2006