Editing RAW/PEF from Pentax K100D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Babula, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?

    I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took a
    bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    sure what software would be best for me to use.

    I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet. Would
    that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with the
    camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is that
    good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    or batch edit them???

    What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?

    I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    efficiently use it.

    I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.

    Thanks!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Eric Babula, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Eric Babula

    map Guest

    I'm a new K100D user and the pentax softwares are simply impossible to use
    on my pc. they're totally unstable.
    so the answer is interesting me and a replacement for the browser also...
    map, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Eric Babula

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Eric Babula <> wrote:

    > Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    >
    > I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took a
    > bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    > sure what software would be best for me to use.
    >
    > I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    > ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    > have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet. Would
    > that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with the
    > camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is that
    > good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    > and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    > or batch edit them???
    >
    > What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    > software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    > (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?
    >
    > I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    > getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    > efficiently use it.
    >
    > I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    > ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    > Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    > Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.

    The Pentax software is quirky, braindead, and slow, but it does a pretty
    good job of converting files.

    I use Photoshop with Adobe Camera RAW, and I also use dcraw, which is
    open-source software. dcraw works from the command line, so you can have
    it go to town on a batch of images with great ease.

    The RAW workflow happens like this: You start with a PEF file, which you
    then convert to some other format, and which you then edit. So
    regardless of how you convert, once the image is in a more
    widely-understood format you can use the various software you list
    above.

    Another option is to convert to DNG (Digital NeGative), which a lot of
    software understands. You'd get the DNG converter from Adobe's web site
    and use it to convert your PEF files.

    Good luck.
    Paul Mitchum, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Eric Babula

    simon Guest

    simon, Jan 22, 2007
  5. On 22 Jan 2007 15:54:37 GMT, Eric Babula <> wrote:

    >Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    >
    >I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took a
    >bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    >sure what software would be best for me to use.
    >
    >I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    >("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    >have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet. Would
    >that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with the
    >camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is that
    >good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    >and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    >or batch edit them???

    PSE3 will work fine if you install the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in 3.6.
    PSE3 with the Hidden Elements packageadded is very close to having
    Photoshop CS2. The Pentax software is OK but buggy and crashes when
    you try to use certain functions.

    Oliver Costich, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Eric Babula

    Steve Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > Eric Babula <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    >>
    >> I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took a
    >> bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    >> sure what software would be best for me to use.
    >>
    >> I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    >> ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    >> have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet. Would
    >> that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with the
    >> camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is that
    >> good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    >> and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    >> or batch edit them???
    >>
    >> What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    >> software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    >> (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?
    >>
    >> I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    >> getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    >> efficiently use it.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    >> ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    >> Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    >> Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.

    > The Pentax software is quirky, braindead, and slow, but it does a pretty
    > good job of converting files.
    >
    > I use Photoshop with Adobe Camera RAW, and I also use dcraw, which is
    > open-source software. dcraw works from the command line, so you can have
    > it go to town on a batch of images with great ease.
    >
    > The RAW workflow happens like this: You start with a PEF file, which you
    > then convert to some other format, and which you then edit. So
    > regardless of how you convert, once the image is in a more
    > widely-understood format you can use the various software you list
    > above.
    >
    > Another option is to convert to DNG (Digital NeGative), which a lot of
    > software understands. You'd get the DNG converter from Adobe's web site
    > and use it to convert your PEF files.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I've been using Bibble Lite with very good results and its much more user
    friendly than the Pentax software.
    Steve, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Eric Babula

    Cgiorgio Guest

    I am using a Samsung GX1L DSLR which I believe is using the same RAW format
    as the Pentax Cameras. Besides the Samsung/(Pentax?) software I have used
    two freeware programs UFRAW and RAWTHERAPEE that work with the .PEF files.
    Ufraw works as stand alone and as a plug-in for The Gimp (freeware image
    editor). RAWTHERAPEE is a very versatile program but is in its Beta
    development stage. It is still much slower than the other options, but gives
    the best control over the results. To download them just Google for the
    program names and go to the respective homepages.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Eric Babula

    chris Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > I am using a Samsung GX1L DSLR which I believe is using the same RAW format
    > as the Pentax Cameras. Besides the Samsung/(Pentax?) software I have used
    > two freeware programs UFRAW and RAWTHERAPEE that work with the .PEF files.
    > Ufraw works as stand alone and as a plug-in for The Gimp (freeware image
    > editor). RAWTHERAPEE is a very versatile program but is in its Beta
    > development stage. It is still much slower than the other options, but gives
    > the best control over the results. To download them just Google for the
    > program names and go to the respective homepages.
    >

    > "Eric Babula" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    > >
    > > I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took a
    > > bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    > > sure what software would be best for me to use.
    > >
    > > I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    > > ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    > > have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet. Would
    > > that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with the
    > > camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is that
    > > good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    > > and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    > > or batch edit them???
    > >
    > > What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    > > software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    > > (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?
    > >
    > > I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    > > getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    > > efficiently use it.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    > > ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    > > Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    > > Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I am surprised nobody has mentioned Lightroom.. That lets you
    non-destructively edit RAW files and do some tricky stuff to them
    without requiring a copy of Photoshop. Not sure if it supports the
    K100D but a visit to Adobe.com would clear that up. Personally I use
    Aperture but since the OP appears to use a PC it wouldn't make very
    much sense for me to recommend that.. But have had a good look at
    Lightroom and I liked what I saw, although I ended up with Aperture,
    which is also very nice...

    Hope this helps..
    chris, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote in news:1hscaa1.zuuivnfsg3o6N%
    0m:

    > Eric Babula <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    >>
    >> I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took

    >> bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    >> sure what software would be best for me to use.
    >>
    >> I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    >> ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    >> have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet.

    Would
    >> that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with

    the
    >> camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is

    that
    >> good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    >> and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    >> or batch edit them???
    >>
    >> What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    >> software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    >> (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?
    >>
    >> I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    >> getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    >> efficiently use it.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    >> ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    >> Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    >> Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.

    > The Pentax software is quirky, braindead, and slow, but it does a

    pretty
    > good job of converting files.
    >
    > I use Photoshop with Adobe Camera RAW, and I also use dcraw, which is
    > open-source software. dcraw works from the command line, so you can

    have
    > it go to town on a batch of images with great ease.
    >
    > The RAW workflow happens like this: You start with a PEF file, which

    you
    > then convert to some other format, and which you then edit. So
    > regardless of how you convert, once the image is in a more
    > widely-understood format you can use the various software you list
    > above.
    >
    > Another option is to convert to DNG (Digital NeGative), which a lot of
    > software understands. You'd get the DNG converter from Adobe's web site
    > and use it to convert your PEF files.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I guess I have a lot to learn! I thought you edit in RAW (change the
    white balance, etc.), and THEN convert it to jpg. That's not true?

    What format should I convert the PEF into for editing? TIFF? Or, is DNG
    or something else better to use with Photoshop Elements 3.0?

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Eric Babula, Jan 23, 2007
  10. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    Oliver Costich <> wrote in

    > PSE3 will work fine if you install the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in 3.6.
    > PSE3 with the Hidden Elements packageadded is very close to having
    > Photoshop CS2. The Pentax software is OK but buggy and crashes when
    > you try to use certain functions.

    I was hoping someone would be able to tell me that PSE3 could work for me!
    Thanks, I'll try this advice tonight!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Eric Babula, Jan 23, 2007
  11. Eric Babula

    chris Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote in news:1hscaa1.zuuivnfsg3o6N%
    > 0m:
    >
    > > Eric Babula <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are there any Pentax K100D users out there?
    > >>
    > >> I'm new to the concept of taking pics in RAW and editing them. I took

    > >> bunch of shots this weekend, and now need to edit them. But, I'm not
    > >> sure what software would be best for me to use.
    > >>
    > >> I was unable to even open the files with Micro$oft Photo Editor
    > >> ("unknown file format"), or IrfanView ("not a valid RAW file"). I do
    > >> have Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home, but haven't tried that, yet.

    > Would
    > >> that work? Should I just install the Pentax software that came with

    > the
    > >> camera (I've heard that usually these programs are mostly junk)? Is

    > that
    > >> good enough? Would Picasa work? I just downloaded Picasa here at work,
    > >> and it seems to at least be able to view the files. But, to edit them,
    > >> or batch edit them???
    > >>
    > >> What software do you use to edit your Pentax RAW/PEF files? Does your
    > >> software have a batch edit feature, so I can apply the same changes
    > >> (e.g. White Balance) to all photos in a folder?
    > >>
    > >> I thought this would be quicker than it was, so far. Just a matter of
    > >> getting the right software and figuring out how to quickly and
    > >> efficiently use it.
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to edit pics of my daughters' volleyball matches, shot with
    > >> ISO 3200. I'm mostly looking to edit these pics by correcting White
    > >> Balance, maybe lightening or helping color a little bit, then using
    > >> Noise Ninja or Neat Image on them to reduce the noise.

    > > The Pentax software is quirky, braindead, and slow, but it does a

    > pretty
    > > good job of converting files.
    > >
    > > I use Photoshop with Adobe Camera RAW, and I also use dcraw, which is
    > > open-source software. dcraw works from the command line, so you can

    > have
    > > it go to town on a batch of images with great ease.
    > >
    > > The RAW workflow happens like this: You start with a PEF file, which

    > you
    > > then convert to some other format, and which you then edit. So
    > > regardless of how you convert, once the image is in a more
    > > widely-understood format you can use the various software you list
    > > above.
    > >
    > > Another option is to convert to DNG (Digital NeGative), which a lot of
    > > software understands. You'd get the DNG converter from Adobe's web site
    > > and use it to convert your PEF files.
    > >
    > > Good luck.

    > I guess I have a lot to learn! I thought you edit in RAW (change the
    > white balance, etc.), and THEN convert it to jpg. That's not true?
    >
    > What format should I convert the PEF into for editing? TIFF? Or, is DNG
    > or something else better to use with Photoshop Elements 3.0?
    >
    > --

    With PSE and other programs like it, you use a RAW *converter* to
    convert the RAW file to something else so you can work on it. I
    wouldn't actually describe them as editing the RAW file though. At the
    point of import you get a pretty screen with lots of options like White
    Balance and Exposure (not the same thing as changing the actual
    exposure in the camera, mind you). Then when you click OK it will
    convert it from RAW to something else using those settings. I would
    recommend using PSD if you are going to be editing and using layers,
    etc.. Otherwise TIFF is excellent but takes a lot of space. Mind you,
    so does PSD often!!!

    With Lightroom and Aperture, you don't need to convert the RAW to
    anything else, you can make a host of changes like exposure, white
    balance and cropping and sharpening, and the program simply makes a
    note somewhere of your changes, so to you it looks like you're editing
    the RAW file. You only need to convert when exporting, when you'd
    probably use JPG due to it being a universal format.

    As far as DNG goes, it's sort of like a universal RAW format that
    supposedly anything can open, although I have heard Aperture has issues
    with some DNG files.. BTW, Lightroom, I recall, will offer to convert
    your files to DNG when importing...

    cya

    Chris
    chris, Jan 23, 2007