    =================
    Delete "abc" to reply by email.

    , Jan 3, 2005

  2. writes:

    > I am confused as to wheter it is better to make exposure and color
    > corrections in the raw plugin or in photoshop itself. I am shooting
    > using a Canon G3. If I do the latter, it would appear that the main
    > advantage to shooting in raw is to avoid jpeg artefacts.

    Generally speaking the rule of thumb is you should do as much as
    possible in the RAW plugin, before going to photoshop.

    > Also, are the settings that appear in the plugin when I open a raw
    > file the same as the in camera adjustments the camera would make if I
    > were shooting in jppeg format?

    Not always. There's a selection drop-down where one of the choice is
    something that means "as set on the camera", which will give you
    that.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Mark² Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > writes:
    >
    > > I am confused as to wheter it is better to make exposure and color
    > > corrections in the raw plugin or in photoshop itself. I am shooting
    > > using a Canon G3. If I do the latter, it would appear that the main
    > > advantage to shooting in raw is to avoid jpeg artefacts.

    > Generally speaking the rule of thumb is you should do as much as
    > possible in the RAW plugin, before going to photoshop.
    >
    > > Also, are the settings that appear in the plugin when I open a raw
    > > file the same as the in camera adjustments the camera would make if I
    > > were shooting in jppeg format?

    > Not always. There's a selection drop-down where one of the choice is
    > something that means "as set on the camera", which will give you
    > that.

    Exposure, and basic white balance should be done in the plug-in. Over or
    under-exposed shots are best hendled there...especially over-exposure, since
    you can often recover burned-out highlights which CANNOT be recovered in PS
    (although it can try to "improve" them via photoshop CS). Additional
    tweaking can happen later, of course.

    You also should consider saturation in the plug-in, since it is far easier
    to reduce saturation later than to try and introduce more than is actually
    gathered from the actual shot (from the sensor via RAW).

    Mark², Jan 3, 2005
  4. Eric Gill Guest

    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >> writes:
    >>
    >> > I am confused as to wheter it is better to make exposure and color
    >> > corrections in the raw plugin or in photoshop itself. I am
    >> > shooting using a Canon G3. If I do the latter, it would appear
    >> > that the main advantage to shooting in raw is to avoid jpeg
    >> > artefacts.

    >> Generally speaking the rule of thumb is you should do as much as
    >> possible in the RAW plugin, before going to photoshop.
    >>
    >> > Also, are the settings that appear in the plugin when I open a raw
    >> > file the same as the in camera adjustments the camera would make if
    >> > I were shooting in jppeg format?

    >> Not always. There's a selection drop-down where one of the choice is
    >> something that means "as set on the camera", which will give you
    >> that.

    > Exposure, and basic white balance should be done in the plug-in. Over
    > or under-exposed shots are best hendled there...especially
    > over-exposure, since you can often recover burned-out highlights which
    > CANNOT be recovered in PS (although it can try to "improve" them via
    > photoshop CS). Additional tweaking can happen later, of course.
    >
    > You also should consider saturation in the plug-in, since it is far
    > easier to reduce saturation later than to try and introduce more than
    > is actually gathered from the actual shot (from the sensor via RAW).

    It's the best place to start noise reduction, too. Luminance noise
    accounts for most of what I see from my Canon SLRs; ACR does a great job
    of getting rid of it up to ISO400 without softening the image.

    Eric Gill, Jan 3, 2005