Editing pictures over a network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tony Luxton, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. Tony Luxton

    Tony Luxton Guest

    Hello Group. I downloaded some pictures from my camera to my "Shared
    Documents" folder (which is shared on the network). I then tried to rotate
    some of them (from landscape to portrait) using the other machine, but it
    wouldn't let me - the commands "rotate clockwise/anti-clockwise" in the
    right-click menu were greyed out. I had to do it on the machine where the
    files were situated.

    Is this normal behaviour? I've "allowed network users to change my files"
    for the shared documents folder.

    TIA Tony.

    Computer built 2004
    Windows XP Home OEM, SP2
    512 MB RAM
    120 GB HD
    Avast! AV up to date
    Spybot S&D up to date
    Ad-Aware up to date
    Windows firewall only (plus hardware firewall on router)
    Part of workgroup with one other machine
    Tony Luxton, Sep 30, 2007

  2. Tony Luxton

    Lem Guest

    Tony Luxton wrote:
    > Hello Group. I downloaded some pictures from my camera to my "Shared
    > Documents" folder (which is shared on the network). I then tried to rotate
    > some of them (from landscape to portrait) using the other machine, but it
    > wouldn't let me - the commands "rotate clockwise/anti-clockwise" in the
    > right-click menu were greyed out. I had to do it on the machine where the
    > files were situated.
    >
    > Is this normal behaviour? I've "allowed network users to change my files"
    > for the shared documents folder.
    >
    > TIA Tony.
    >

    > Computer built 2004
    > Windows XP Home OEM, SP2
    > 512 MB RAM
    > 120 GB HD
    > Avast! AV up to date
    > Spybot S&D up to date
    > Ad-Aware up to date
    > Windows firewall only (plus hardware firewall on router)
    > Part of workgroup with one other machine

    It may depend on how the software you're using to rotate the pictures
    works. I had a similar problem using Canon's ZoomBrowser software. You
    can read the explanation below, but the most straightforward thing is to
    check the permissions of the files that you can't rotate.

    Because you have XP Home, you'll have to do this in safe mode, and as a
    user with administrative privileges. Right-click on a file, select
    Properties, and then the Security tab. If you compare the permissions
    for a file that does not have the problem with one that does, you should
    see the difference (probably "Everyone" does not have modify rights to
    the problem files). In the "Advanced" screen, make sure that the box to
    "Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects"
    is checked (this is the default).

    Now, right-click the folder in which the picture files are stored and go
    to the Security tab. Click the "Advanced" button. This time, there
    should be a second box to "Replace permission entries on all child
    objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects." Check this
    and OK out (note that this operation can't be undone). See generally,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418/ and
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419/

    Apparently, the way Canon's "ZoomBrowser" image filing/handling software
    works is that when the EXIF information from the image file on the
    camera indicates that the picture has been taken in the vertical format,
    the software initially stores the file in C:\Windows\Temp (or other
    temporary directory) in the usual landscape (horizontal) format, then
    rotates it, and stores the rotated version in the intended target
    directory.

    The problem is that the Temp directory -- where the file is initially
    created -- is not shared (who would think to share the Temp directory
    !?). And, according to KB310316, "By default, an object inherits
    permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or
    when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to
    this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the
    same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."

    Thus, even though the file appears to be in a folder that has the
    "shared" permission set, it has inherited the original "do not share"
    permission from the Temp directory in which it was created.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Tony Luxton

    Tony Luxton Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > temporary directory) in the usual landscape (horizontal) format, then
    > rotates it, and stores the rotated version in the intended target
    > directory.
    >
    > The problem is that the Temp directory -- where the file is initially
    > created -- is not shared (who would think to share the Temp directory
    > !?). And, according to KB310316, "By default, an object inherits
    > permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or
    > when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to
    > this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the
    > same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."
    >
    > Thus, even though the file appears to be in a folder that has the
    > "shared" permission set, it has inherited the original "do not share"
    > permission from the Temp directory in which it was created.

    Lem, thanks for your reply.

    I think you're on to something - now that I think about it, the files were
    originally copied to my own "My Documents" folder (which isn't shared),
    *then* moved to the "Shared Documents" folder. (Two things happen when you
    get older - one is you lose your memory. I forget what the other one is.)

    You were right about the permissions - I've done that now.

    Many thanks!

    regards Tony.
    Tony Luxton, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Tony Luxton

    Lem Guest

    Tony Luxton wrote:
> [...]

    >> this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the
    >> same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."
    >>
    >> Thus, even though the file appears to be in a folder that has the
    >> "shared" permission set, it has inherited the original "do not share"
    >> permission from the Temp directory in which it was created.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    > Lem, thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I think you're on to something - now that I think about it, the files were
    > originally copied to my own "My Documents" folder (which isn't shared),
    > *then* moved to the "Shared Documents" folder. (Two things happen when you
    > get older - one is you lose your memory. I forget what the other one is.)
    >
    > You were right about the permissions - I've done that now.

    I'm glad that worked. I encountered that when copying all of "my
    pictures" over my LAN to sync with another computer, and certain files
    refused to copy. It took a while to figure out what was going on.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 30, 2007