    onto the DVD disk?

    Thank You,
    Shane

    nospam, Apr 25, 2005

  2. nospam

    Sid Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:29:02 +1000, "nospam" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card software (WinFast
    >PVR). I would like to burn it to a single layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it
    >is a tad too large to fit on the blank disk. Is there some free software
    >that I could use to edit this file down to a size that will fit
    >onto the DVD disk?
    >

    >Thank You,
    >Shane

    You can try to resample the MPEG files using one of the many MPEG
    encoders out there, but this will badly degrade the quality. Instead,
    you should try recapturing at a lower resolution or bitrate.

    If your capture card and PC is powerful enough, and you have enough
    HDD space, try capturing as a raw AVI. Then use a software MPEG
    encoder such as Cinema Craft (commercial) or TMPGEnc (free). This will
    take a long time, but result in much smaller MPEG files.

    I went down this road and found that I couldn't capture raw (too many
    frames dropped + weird comb effect). So I simply captured direct to
    MPEG2, at the best quality I needed. Cyberlink PowerVCR II +
    Intervideo WinDVD Creator both do a fairly good job. The downside is
    there is much inefficiency doing it this way, especially because these
    are realtime CBR encoders (constant bitrate). I could only fit a
    little over 1 hour of video per DVD-5 (720x576, 8000 bps), but I
    wasn't willing to sacrifice the quality and can't afford a quality
    hardware capture or encoder card.

    You could author your MPEG2 to DVD (on the harddrive), and experiment
    with the following 'post' transcoders. They often do an acceptable
    job, so long as you're not trying to squeeze it down too small...

    DVD Shrink is a free transcoder.
    www.dvdshrink.info

    CloneDVD2 is very powerful and has a v.good transcoder (payware with
    trial). www.elby.ch

    If you'd like to edit those adverts out of the MPEG2 file without the
    need to demux then get MPEG Video Wizard (payware with trial).
    Obviously, cutting adverts will shrink the size of your file.
    www.womble.com

    Once you get around to authoring it to DVD, there are many options
    available. I found all the common ones (Ulead, Cyberlink, Intervideo)
    are too simplified and lacking power to fully customize. There are
    expensive quality commercial ones out there. I found DVDlabPRO easy to
    use, and powerful enough for my needs (payware with trial).
    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

    Hope this helps, Good Luck.....

    Sid, Apr 25, 2005

  3. nospam

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:29:02 +1000, nospam wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card software (WinFast
    > PVR). I would like to burn it to a single layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it
    > is a tad too large to fit on the blank disk. Is there some free software
    > that I could use to edit this file down to a size that will fit
    > onto the DVD disk?

    You can edit with the free software TMPGEnc.

    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=TMPGEnc
    http://www.videohelp.com/tmpgencedit.htm

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 25, 2005
  4. nospam

    Nonymous Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card software (WinFast
    > PVR). I would like to burn it to a single layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it
    > is a tad too large to fit on the blank disk. Is there some free software
    > that I could use to edit this file down to a size that will fit
    > onto the DVD disk?

    "MPEG-VCR" will let you edit and chop it up without having to re-encode
    it...
    www.womble.com

    Nonymous, Apr 25, 2005
  5. nospam

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref: 426caa49$0$10302$

    nospam <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card
    > software (WinFast PVR). I would like to burn it to a single
    > layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it is a tad too large to fit on
    > the blank disk. Is there some free software that I could use
    > to edit this file down to a size that will fit onto the DVD
    > disk?
    >

    > Thank You,
    > Shane

    Visit here: http://www.vso-software.fr/
    Follow the path to download the FREE "divx to dvd" (it also
    handles MPEG2)

    This software will convert to DVD format (somewhere between 1x &
    2x play time - about 10 to 20 times faster than TMPGEnc). If
    the converted files are still too large for a DVD, you can then
    use DVD Shrink - as the data is now in the proper format for
    it).

    DVD Shrink also supports "re-author" mode, wherein you can cut
    out or add in scenes before compressing to single disk size. If
    you prefer, you can also use DVDS to split the file across
    discs.

    With a copy of DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will also burn the DVD
    for you.

    The total operation done with free software!

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Apr 25, 2005
  6. "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card software (WinFast
    > PVR). I would like to burn it to a single layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it
    > is a tad too large to fit on the blank disk. Is there some free software
    > that I could use to edit this file down to a size that will fit
    > onto the DVD disk?
    >

    > Thank You,
    > Shane

    One very easy solution is to tell the program to make a dual layer dvd, by
    creating the dvd files on the hard drive. Then use CloneDVD2 from
    www.slysoft.com to shrink the dvd files just enough to fit on the single
    layer dvd. I think DVDShrink will do the same job, but I have not tested it.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Apr 25, 2005
  7. nospam

    theyak Guest

    In article <426caa49$0$10302$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recorded a TV program as a MPEG-2 file using TV card software (WinFast
    > PVR). I would like to burn it to a single layer DVD-R. Unfortunately, it
    > is a tad too large to fit on the blank disk. Is there some free software
    > that I could use to edit this file down to a size that will fit
    > onto the DVD disk?
    >

    > Thank You,
    > Shane

    Run it through the dvd wizard of Tmpgenc. It has a option screen at the
    end of the wizard which will adjust the bitrate according to the media
    you will put it on.

    theyak, Apr 25, 2005